View Poll Results: Sheep Hunters which Spotter do you use?

Voters
164. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bushnell/ B&L

20 12.20%
  • Nikon

31 18.90%
  • Leupold

37 22.56%
  • Leica

15 9.15%
  • Swaro

27 16.46%
  • Zeiss

11 6.71%
  • Pentax

7 4.27%
  • Fujinon

0 0%
  • Kowa

2 1.22%
  • Other

14 8.54%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep Hunters ..Gear Poll!

Default Sheep Hunters ..Gear Poll!

I am interested to know what spotting scope most of the avid sheep hunters have been using. I have yet to purchase a spotting scope that was above a 62mm objective and am always looking for something fairly lightweight. But on the flip side I have a hunting partner that uses a Zeiss Diascope 85 and though the thing is friggin huge, man is it absolutely awesome to look through. I am curious to know how many will sacrifice that extra weight for the big eyes or are most of you like me trying to keep it lightweight. I am currently using a Bausch & Lomb Elite 15-45x60 that weighs like 22 oz and I made a homemade little sheath for it out of fleece (an old fleece shirt sleeve with some homemade stitching), I have also used a Nikon Spotter XL. So what do you use and or what do you want to use and just havent made the change yet?

Default Swaro

I used a B&L 15-45 last year, but found myself wanting more. I think the extra weight of the Swaro will be worth it and will pick one up before next sheep season.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

I use a Nikon Spotter XL II. I don't think I'll be changing anytime soon. I like the weight and the price.

What no Tasco selection...huh. Oh well maybe I need to scrape up some $$$ for one o dem fancy german lookin glasses since I havn't actualy scored on a sheep. Well when you guys come up with what the "best" is then give your "old" scope to me and run right out and throw down your 2.5K. I hear that the Swaro's actually teleport all legal rams from a 15 square mile region directly into the field of view the second you look through it!

I used to own a Zeiss 85mm. It was a nice scope, but it was large and around 3 lbs if memory serves...So I sold it this year after sheep season. I am looking to buy a slightly smaller and lighter scope. Right now I am leaning towards the Nikon Prostaff 62mm.

Cool

I'd like to be an avid sheep hunter, but I'm 0/1 and haven't sheep hunted since my first time in 2004! I've been dying to get out and do it again but it just hasn't worked out. Wife had a business trip '05 & '06 and I didn't have a partner in '07; and now with the school calendar the way it is, it is getting more difficult to have time to hunt before school (I know, a little, whiny teacher syndrome!). )

By default, I use a Bushnell 18-36x50 that I've had for years; not the best piece of glass, its heavy and bulky too. I'd like my next scope to be compact and lightweight; the only one's I've seen were really cheap (or at least appeared to be) and were made by Winchester and some no-name brand. Hopefully someone will chime-in with a few ideas for a lightweight, compact scope.

Tim

Well fellas I really screwed the pooch on this thread, I meant to determine what size spotters folks were carrying and ended up polling brands...darn it. If you posted in the poll it would be great if you could throw the model size down below in your posts. ie 15-45x60 or 20-60x80 etc

15-45x (not sure of the objective on my spotter...60?)

Leica 62 (straight) w/ 16-48x eyepiece.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Default leupold

I use a 12-40 leupold. Its kind of on the heavy side, but I like the scope. I
    would also like to have the B & L to save some weight.

Casey

Default optics

My first sheep hunt I used a Leupold wind river scope. I think it had a 40+ objective. For determining ram legality, age rings, etc I had a tough time. I switched to the Swaro 20x60x80, which weighs a bit more. I don't care. The extra pound got me my sheep last year, and sure saves valuable hunting time and energy in trying to get even closer to an animal that can see you from 2 miles out. I just wrap it in the arm of my montbell 8 oz coat, and stuff it in the optics pouch on the side of my pack. Judging a legal ram can be tough enough at close range----why would a hunter choose poor optics in trying to judge one from great distances. Only my 2cents.

Default LEUPOLD GOLD RING 12-40x60

I borrowed one for a few years, unitl I finally bit the bullet, spent the money and love it. Teh builting padded and protecive case is a big plus.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Quote Originally Posted by sculpin View Post
    My first sheep hunt I used a Leupold wind river scope. I think it had a 40+ objective. For determining ram legality, age rings, etc I had a tough time. I switched to the Swaro 20x60x80, which weighs a bit more. I don't care. The extra pound got me my sheep last year, and sure saves valuable hunting time and energy in trying to get even closer to an animal that can see you from 2 miles out. I just wrap it in the arm of my montbell 8 oz coat, and stuff it in the optics pouch on the side of my pack. Judging a legal ram can be tough enough at close range----why would a hunter choose poor optics in trying to judge one from great distances. Only my 2cents.
    Thats exactly the logic of a hunting partner of mine that totes that Diascope 85. He'll tell you that for years he walked long and hard to get within reasonable distance to determine the legality of rams only to relaize how much energy was wasted only to find out that the ram/s were not legal. I saw first hand on a sheep hunt with him what he meant. Where I am saying I think the far right one is legal he was saying it is definatively not. After looking through his spotter you realize the glass aint lieing. Its a true trade off, an extra lb or 2 does serve one heck of a purpose. But deciding to carry it is the hard part.

Default agreed

Yes, carrying it is the hard part. I just tell myself it's better than climbing the mountain an extra time or two for no reason on a sub-legal. I've learned and am still learning to scrimp on weight with other gear. For me and for sheep hunting at least, I really appreciate the optics. Now I need a lighter sleeping bag and lighter gun-----I don't think it ever ends. . .

Default lighter sleeping bag

Sculpin..

lighter replacement of a sleeping bag is to take two military poncho liners and double them up. Didn't have any problems with getting cool or cold on sheep hunts, and they weigh hardly nothing at all... and take up very little room. Just thought that I'd throw that at ya...

I use a zeiss 65 power diascope, a little smaller and lighter than the 85 power but the glass is worth it. zeiss or swaros are the way to go, i think its worth taking these guys into the field. I couldn't pass up the deal for the 65 power diascope from Ft Wainwright in Fairbanks, it was cheaper than anybody around, they will even special order for you...CK

The Zeiss 85 diascope rocks! Hate to pack it; but love to look through it- esp. with counting annuals. It has saved alot of extra miles, and is great for digiscope photos. Well worth the weight/expense!

Default poncho liners

Hmmm. Sounds pretty good. How much do they weigh total? Are they warm enough for late sheep hunts?

Default weight

Sculpin..

I'll send ya a PM

Default Same here

Quote Originally Posted by Romo View Post
    Leica 62 (straight) w/ 16-48x eyepiece.
    Romo,

I'm using the same glass as yours. It's a dream that has saved me many miles of walking.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast