Thread: 375/338 and 375/300

Default 375/338 and 375/300

I read a article recently by craig Boddington about steve Hornady introducing two caliber spinoffs from .375 Ruger short barrel being chambered for .338 and .300. The article is in Guns and ammo mag. I
    have used a 338 win mag for years and love it for hunting. This new intro sounds like I can get the same performance in a 20" barrel and a much lighter weight. Sounds good to me. What do you think>

It raises the question of custom chamber jobs, custom reloading dies, more noise and more recoil. If those fit within your view, then by all means the ballistic gains are worthwhile. If they don't, then there aren't any reasons that I know of to switch from your old favorite. Owning a number of wildcats myself, I'm familiar with the bug. But I'm also pretty clear-eyed when I make the dive. Right now the 358 caliber version is looking pretty appealing to me, but I'm still wiping the mist out of my eyes before making the final decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jim k View Post
    I read a article recently by craig Boddington about steve Hornady introducing two caliber spinoffs from .375 Ruger short barrel being chambered for .338 and .300. The article is in Guns and ammo mag. I
    have used a 338 win mag for years and love it for hunting. This new intro sounds like I can get the same performance in a 20" barrel and a much lighter weight. Sounds good to me. What do you think>
    I believe that Hornady and Ruger introduced a new .338 Magnum that uses a shortened .375 Ruger cartridge. They claim similar performance as the .338WM, which is possible, but I don't think it will replace the .338WM. It's just a new toy with little ammo on the shelves, and no brass for us to reload. Besides, one would need a new set of dies, Stoney Point gages, etc., while there is plenty of ammo and brass for the .338WM.

Now, I would like to see a factory .375 Taylor (.338-375). That would be a short-N-Slim .375 H&H
    Click on the link for "Reloading Tables" at the .416 Taylor page:
    http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/