Thread: Another punching tag update.....

Default Another punching tag update.....

I know I said I was done with this topic but, AL called me at work today and pointed something out in the regs that might be getting people confused......

First one is for "HARVEST TAGS" only.

PAGE 12 of the regs book it states: " Your harvest ticket(s) musr be carried in the field and must be validated by cutting out the month and day immediatly upon "TAKING" game. You must keep each validated harvest ticket(s) in your possession until that animal has been delivered to the location where it will be processed for consumption."

The same thing is said for "DRAWING PERMITS AND REGISTRATION PERMITS".

Al called me at work to tell me about this, "BOTH OF THESE STATMENTS ARE WRONG! IT SHOULD SAY "UPON KILLING" NOT "TAKING". He has informed me that this may be soem of the confusion and reassured me "THIS WILL BE CHANGED TO "UPON KILLING" when the new regs come out next summer."

Just a little "FYI" that I found out about today.

Curt

Thanks AKDSLDOG, that's exactly what the regulations states, which as we both pointed out, is what is official, not what is in the booklet. I don't know why they would have changed the one word in the booklet, I'm glad they are changing it. Thanks for all the work.
    BTW, on Elmendorf, when I was a conservation agent, when a hunter reported they wounded a moose, we went through all kinds of effort to track that animal before we called it ok for them to continue the hunt. TGhe key was all reasonable effort, including us going and trying to track the animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Thanks AKDSLDOG, that's exactly what the regulations states, which as we both pointed out, is what is official, not what is in the booklet. I don't know why they would have changed the one word in the booklet, I'm glad they are changing it. Thanks for all the work.
    BTW, on Elmendorf, when I was a conservation agent, when a hunter reported they wounded a moose, we went through all kinds of effort to track that animal before we called it ok for them to continue the hunt. TGhe key was all reasonable effort, including us going and trying to track the animal.
    All we as ETHICAL HUNTERS can do is do our best. Good work on "helping people" recover thier misfortunes, nice to hear.
    Thanks for the input in this matter.

Curt

Ethics will not clear anyone from wrongdoing, in a court of law. Might lessen the sentence a mite, but that is all. I seriously doubt Al C. is successful in getting the wording changed, because it has been too beneficial in the past to the Troopers and DA's when prosecuting cases, as it currently stated on the books. I think it was carefully crafted in the first place and will not be reworded, to make it clear. Left amiguous, the courts will always have the upper hand.

In the prior thread the moose hunter I referred to stated that his moose must have sunk to the bottom of a near by lake and that was the reason he couldn't find it. Just an excuse for not putting in effort, as moose do float when dead in still water. It isn't just to govern ethical hunters.

I understand the arguement for not punching the tag but I don't understand attempting to influence the interpretation of "Take" to mean you get a do-over if you don't find the animal you wound, regardless of the time it takes to incapacitate the animal, a person is still responsible for doing so.

What kind of message does that send, to say that you only have to punch your tag if standing over it...basically? Does that not influence interpretation in the wrong direction?

Talking changing word will fix it

i'll keep my fingers crossed for the follow through this summer. now just 110 more pages of clutter to clear up.

Monkey, not to argue, & maybe mine was a fluke, but the bull that I killed hat ended up in the water didn't float (arrow thru both lungs-pass thru). The only thing sticking up was the tip of the antlers. The rest was on the bottom. It had only been dead an hour or so.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

The only moose I have seen dead in the water I watched being shot with a 338 and it sunk straight to the bottom in that lake. Good thing the hunter had a atv and a good rope!

Default Sinker

Lung shot moose, swam to the middle of the slough and stayed there, each breath you could hear more water being sucked in. Wasn't long and down he went. Got over with the boat and looked down, he was standing upright with rear quarters slightly higher and head being held down by antlers. Luckily we had a sinking and not floating rope, lassoed him about 4 ft under water and drug him to shore...so yes, moose sink

I think I will just punch my tags when I get them and call it a successful year

I've pulled quite a few across rivers and lakes, never had one sink to the bottom.