Thread: Lab Breeder Recommendations

Default Lab Breeder Recommendations

I'm really having a tough time finding a breeder (Labrador). I lost my black lab last September, and figured it's time for another. I'm looking for a good family dog, that can hunt (But not the main focus), and just tag along when fishing.

My first desire is to find a healthy dog. I find alot of good hunting dogs with retrieving titles, but their looks really are not what I like (which I know shouldn't be my main focus).

I bought my black lab 12 + years ago in Wasilla from a breeder. I haven't talked to them since she was 2, but they seemed like nice folks. The parents had AKC hunting titles. When we bought our other lab in '92 we found in the newspaper (from Lake Minchumina). We ended up with two very good dogs, they were great retrievers and no health problems. I don't think I'd buy a dog listed in the newspaper again, because it seems like there are some people who do not thoughtfully breed dogs. Our male was $250 well spent though (even if he was from the newspaper)...

So this time around, I'm going to research a little more...

Here are my questions

I guess I don't know much about animal breeding. Are dogs just really inbred? Is it common for dogs to have the same great-great-grandparents and great grandparents? It seems like you want more genetic variation?

I am in the Interior but don't mind traveling for the right dog? Anybody buy out of state? Any recommendations? Feel free to PM.

I was looking at Hightest in California:

Is it common for dogs to be this much? (1500?!?). I thought you could still get a good dog for $1000 - $1200? I'm not being cheap here, and I don't want a cheap dog, but is that higher than normal cost? I am willing to spend that much if it means having a healthy, trainable, good looking dog, especially since I'll be keeping it for 10+ years.

Thanks for the help!

Default last frontier labs

Jim and Sherri where great and we got a wonderful dog that was started. She is awesome. I believe they will be having a litter before to long.

i'm generally just a random occasional lurker but i wanted to throw in a few more names for you just to give you some local options.

another good resource is the puget sound labrador retriever association:

and a great local contact who is in the know about all things retreiver is

there are also some knowledgable breeders i've seen on here as well who may be able to assit you, one of which was already mentioned so here's the other:

we have a chocolate male whose father is out of the merganser kennel - they focus more on the field labs but have a nice english appearance (blockier heads combined with some leg length) to them which is what we like. our 2nd lab is coming from out of state primarily because of timing....the local breeders whom we have been looking at weren't expecting anything until mid-late spring. it's important to look for pups who's parents have the proper health clearances (hips, elbows & eyes - although some breeders don't do all 3 - but it was important to us that they did. as for the particulars of breeding & pricing - i'll leave that to the more qualified folks to answer.

hope this helps and good luck in your search!

I've got a bllack lab male coming after the first of the year from Idaho.

First, sharing great grandparents is not inbreeding. That is siblings together, or offspring to parent. What you are seeing a lot of is called linebreeding. It is very common and is used to keep a type or set of traits over a long perod of time if the line is maintained.

I have a year old chocolate female out of top bloodlines from Indiana. Again, there is some shared distant ancestors. Both are sired by top field dogs, the black male is from strong field trial lines that are also hunted. Only one untitled dog in this first four generations. The chocolate female is also very good. She is turning out to be very talented. I am expecting the new pup to also be very good.

I paid $850 for the chocolate and $750 for black male. There are a lot of very well bred field dogs that are $500 to $1000 that come from lines that also make great pets and house dogs. Mine are in the house and very calm.

I would suggest the Retreiver Training Forum as a good place to start. This does not mean to suggest there are not excellent prospects here in Alaska. These just met my needs and timing. There are several on here that would be happy I am sure to look a specific litters you may find interesting.

Some other health issues to be aware of and for which testing is being done is centronuclear myopathy (CNM) and Exercise Induced Calapse EIC. EIC testing is being developed currently, but there are several dogs that have been tested, so if it is available for your litter, all the better.

Good luck with the search and enjoy the experience.