Thread: Headin to Anchorage next week, Mil-surp ammo?

Default Headin to Anchorage next week, Mil-surp ammo?

I gotta go up to Anchorage next week, and maybe another trip this weekend. Anyone seen any mil-surp Swede 6.5mm ammo lately for a descent price?

I gotta figure out where a couple of gun shops moved.. The guys on Tudor whos name I can neevr remember (they used to be in a guys garage years ago), gun runners, to name two.

During one trip I have to bring the wife along, so I am trying to figure out how to make a second trip for guy-stuff.

I need a new brass tumbler too....

Maybe I will see a Swede 94 carbine,,,yeah fat chance....

Well maybe a 1903-A3...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I just talked to Troy at gunrunners and they do not have any mil-surp swede ammo. He doesnt know of anybody in town. Some commercial stuff is around though.

Good luck

Dang,,, There are lots on some web sites and Sportsmans Guide has it by the case.. But we here in Alaska can't get it delivered...

The guys you're thinking of are Alaska Shooters Supply. They are in a strip mall on the north end of Boniface on the east side of the street. Gunrunners took over RAL across Northern Lights from Sears.

I haven't seen a Swede rifle much less a carbine in this town for a long time. Great Northern Guns on Tudor has about 4-5 Springfields, I think part of some estate sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Dang,,, There are lots on some web sites and Sportsmans Guide has it by the case.. But we here in Alaska can't get it delivered...
    you can ship, just not cheap.

Example
    I just rcvd two cans to Alaska from Portland of 5.56 Mk262 that cost $206 for shipping!

I might be interested in splitting shipping costs on a SG truck order for some to the 6.5X55 and some other milsurp stuff. I expect it would have to be a $4-500 order just to break even on the freight charges. PM me.

Otherwise, it is just as cheap to buy Remington Express 6.5X55 locally and retain the brass. AK SS may have Wolf or other brands of 6.5.
    One can reload etc. of course. Lapua makes great brass.

I have seen it occasionally at the local gun shows. I will scour the next gun show for some in JAN as well.

BTW, all the green sleeved stuff appears to be reloads to me. Swedes apparently reloaded a lot of their brass for training.
    The green sleeved ammo shoots good, I shot a 180 at 600 yds with a 96 set up with a Lyman 48 at FT Rich.

OT I don't shop much with AKSS. They give Military Discounts, but not to Reservists. I took offense to that policy, especially after spending two tours in Iraq. I applaud the MD, but excluding RC irritates me.

Default Ammo Can - So Anc

There's also the Ammo Can at the Dimond/Arctic intersection in the strip mall by the Villiage Inn. They sometimes have different milsurp type stuff there. You can find them in the yellow pages.

I was going to go today, (SAT) but I just spent all of last night and most of today removing my 200 gallon av-gas tank out of the back of my truck. It was frozen in there with ice and dirt.

I need the room for some windows I need to pick up.

Nothing is open on Sunday, so I might as well wait until a week day.

Allen, thank for the info about AKSS. That is a bunch of BS.

Maybe I will just buy a bunch more PMC and reload. I already have the dies anyway..

Default I bought my first revolver from that guys garage

I have been into the shop on tudor in that strip mall. But to me they don't seem to be the same guys delt with in the garage. Not sure if they sold out or what. From what I can remember they were two guys, bald, stocky and packed .45 1911 on themselvs. Scared the hell out of me but they were cool and I bought a new taurus 44 mag from them. Cheaper than anyone in town. Same name just not the guys I delt with. Gunrunners are hard to find. They are right across from the sears mall in the same parking lot as the panda restaurant I believe. They are in the right hand corner of mall as you pull off on northern lights.

Quote Originally Posted by akrstabout View Post
    I have been into the shop on tudor in that strip mall. But to me they don't seem to be the same guys delt with in the garage. Not sure if they sold out or what. From what I can remember they were two guys, bald, stocky and packed .45 1911 on themselvs. Scared the hell out of me but they were cool and I bought a new taurus 44 mag from them. Cheaper than anyone in town. Same name just not the guys I delt with. Gunrunners are hard to find. They are right across from the sears mall in the same parking lot as the panda restaurant I believe. They are in the right hand corner of mall as you pull off on northern lights.
    ...believe Jack, the old guy that cannot hear too well, is owner. Retired Army fellow. Other folks come and go that work there.