Thread: Today is Pearl Harbor Day

Default Today is Pearl Harbor Day

If anyone should remember, it should be the guys and gals on this site....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Yes, it is. I hope everyone remembers.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    Yes, it is. I hope everyone remembers.
    Me too. I was dissappointed to not hear any mention of it today at school.

Jon

Yeap,,

History revised is history denied...

Thus we are doomed to repeat it....

Red face

On the lighter side......I always can remember Pearl Harbor Day since 7 December was the anniversary of my first marriage......and that was a big bomb too!!
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

My dad is a huge history buff, and Pearl Harbor is one of his favorite things to study. I don't think I could forget December 7th if I wanted to.

My old highschool principle was so old he was actually in elementary school when the attack happened. But he remembered the next day, because that is when the president declared war on japan on the radio. He said he can remember sitting in the auditorium with everyone listening to the president talk about it. I guess just a different time. I can remember sitting in class watching the news as September 11th was happening.

Default Pearl

My wife and I spent a day at Pearl a year and a half ago, it was one of the most moving experiences of my life, topped off by then going to the National Memorial Cemetery of The Pacific in Punchbowl Crater which overlooks the Pacific and Honolulu. Don't miss it if you get the opportunity.

We were glad we took tissues.

kingfisherktn

My dad managed to get back to Pearl before he passed away. He said he was glad he made it. One of these days I have to head to Disneyland East Washington DC and see the wall. Different generations and all that.

Dino

Default ASD

Both of my teenagers came home from school on the anniversary of Pearl Harbor and I asked them if they knew what day it was and if they talked about it in school. One is in middle school at Goldenview and the other in high school at South and neither one even heard it mentioned in school. People have forgotten what war is really about. History forgotten is history doomed to repeat itself. Issues like these are why our soldiers are having to fight a war with their hands tied behind their backs.

Thanks to all who served at Pearl and all who have served to make this country what it is.

I never forget Pearl Harbor day, especially serving in the Air Force for 24 years, and being from Hawaii, I remember when my father used to always tell me the stories of what they went through when they grew up during that period. I always tell my kids about it when Dec 7th rolls around, for those that have not been to the Arizona memorial...you need to go see it ...CK

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My Mom would always remember it, and mention that I was born 6 days later.

When I hear about the sacrifices people made back then, I'm amazed, and grateful at the same time.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've had the opportunity to visit the Arizona Memorial a few times and each time was a moving experience. I wish we were allowed to stay longer and return on a later skif.

The rythmic release of a drop of bunker oil and its dilution on the surface always grabbed my attention. I'll be very interested to see if the oil stops leaking after the last Arizona survivor re-joins his shipmates.

Dobber

Once while I was talking about the Arizona in history class my teacher interrupted me to say that there is no way they would let that ship still leak oil... and I tried to tell him about it but he just wasn't having any. Sometimes teachers really make me angry... I guess just some people that don't want to hear your side of the story, not teachers in general.

Its funny how some people that were around back then or at least before my time don't pay that much attention. Both my grandpas were in the Navy, and my dad did get to go see the memorial... I could tell it was special to him. It is weird how that generational thing is... I am intrigued with the Vietnam war but all warfare is somewaht intriguing. Just kinda wish we hadn't lost so many good people, aren't we spoiled to be here thanks to them???

Navy ships passing the Arizona render honors. The Utah is still there as well with over 50 sailors entombed.

I was at the Arizona Memorial a few years ago when on a trip to Hawaii. There were about 20 of us on our excursion to Pearl Harbor and to the memorial. When we were there, a group of about 30 Japanese came on the memorial. There was a moment of silence for the crew still entombed, and those Japs just kept right on jabbering, laughing and being loud. I guess I scared them all when I turned around at shouted at the top of my lungs "Shut the h--- up or I will throw you in with the dead!!!!"
    You could have heard a pin drop. When the moment of silence was over, I got a good round of applause from everyone else there. Those Japs didn't say another word, at least until we departed.......

Of course, being 6'5" didn't hurt, either.

And yes, oil still bubbles up from the ship.......
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Default Good on you..

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    I was at the Arizona Memorial a few years ago when on a trip to Hawaii. There were about 20 of us on our excursion to Pearl Harbor and to the memorial. When we were there, a group of about 30 Japanese came on the memorial. There was a moment of silence for the crew still entombed, and those Japs just kept right on jabbering, laughing and being loud. I guess I scared them all when I turned around at shouted at the top of my lungs "Shut the h--- up or I will throw you in with the dead!!!!"
    You could have heard a pin drop. When the moment of silence was over, I got a good round of applause from everyone else there. Those Japs didn't say another word, at least until we departed.......

Of course, being 6'5" didn't hurt, either.

And yes, oil still bubbles up from the ship.......

I've been to Pearl a few times, but only to the Memorial once - my first time through Hawaii. I saw the same thing re the Japanese. It angers me that it has become a tourist attaction.
    Two men say they're Jesus, one of them must be wrong...

Yeap, my last trip there they were wearing their hats and talking away. That was back when I was there with my Airborne Brothers. We had a little talk with them.
    My wife (ex-Army) has more of a thing for the Punch Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    We found it a very moving experience, sort of choked us up.

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Yeap, my last trip there they were wearing their hats and talking away. That was back when I was there with my Airborne Brothers. We had a little talk with them.
    Interesting, I had the opposite experience. An older Japanese fellow told me he was ashamed of his country and that I was welcome to strike him if I wished.