Thread: Putting up little fish anyone?

Default Putting up little fish anyone?

Would anyone have a favorite way to put up those little 5 to 7 inch fish that are so abundant almost anywhere you go?
    For the most part, people prefer to feep larger fish. Well, in the 40 years I've fished all over this area, I'm here to tell you, natural or stocked, those little fish are fabulous tasting.
    I'd like to try preserving a batch whole but have questions.
    Is there a way to preserve them in mason jars where they will not turn to mush?
    Do they taste good pickled?
    And, does anyone have a recipe for preserving them in mason jars after you put a smoke on them?
    I would be greatful for any and all your ideas. Thought I would put a seed post out there and see what comes of it hoping maybe it will help others.
    There is nothing like sitting down with sardines and crackers to kill a craving. Why can't we make our own craving quenchers!

My many thanks, God Bless and Merry Christmas all!
    Arctic Fox

We've smoked them until the skin gets a little crinkly, 'cuz then it peels off easily. The off with the heads, tails, and skin and pressure can (packed tight.) The smoke intensifies during the canning process, so you hardly need to smoke at all ...mostly run the fish in the smoker to get the skin easy to remove. Turns out reasonably good. My wife likes them as well as salmon but my preference is for the salmon instead. But hey, I'm a beggar not a chooser! I like it all!

As far as smoking recipes go, we just pass little fish through a 50/50 mix of salt and brown sugar (in water) for 20 or 30 minutes ...mixing enough water into the mix to 'just' make it watery and we do rinse the fish when they are done. I'm not sure what the measurements would be. For smoke, I like 2/3rds hickory plus 1/3rd alder for fish. I sorta have to have hickory in all my smoking ...doesn't taste like real smoked meat without it (to me.)

Brian

What are these "little fish?"

Default AKGUPPY - these are....

These are the local landlocks F&G stock in the lakes.
    Thanks for replies all.
    Fox