Thread: What age for first ATV?

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Default What age for first ATV?

I have been setting aside some $ ever since my first boy was born, and although at 4 he doesnt yet have enough coordination for an ATV, I think in another year or two he will be ready. I am just curious how young you started your kids on the ATV's and what difficulties or failures you experienced? I am in no hurry to give up my quality "Dad time" with him riding with me on my ATV, but am curious to hear what some of you think.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default Age?

I started my son out riding with me as an infant, both snowmachines and 4-wheelers. At 3 he got a electric 3 wheeler, at 4 he got a kitty cat and a 50cc 4 wheeler, easy rinds around the cabin at first, then some trails, by the time he was 5 he was outgrowing these, at 6 we moved to 90 cc and a 340 snowmachine, now he is 23, loves every thing outdoors, out rides me completly, I final had to give up trying to kepp up with him a couple years ago.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

I started my daughter with a small electric 6 volt atv at 18 months. It was one of those dinky plastic atv's for around $60. She'd ride it around the living room for hours and she loved it. I bought her an off brand 50cc atv this year around her second birthday. She can ride it by herself but I am always right behind her with the tether kill switch. She can make turns, control the throttle, and brake. She can even start it, kill it, and put it into gear. She wears a helmet and does great on the little machine. She's dada's lil girl.

My son got a two-person, 12v electric Jeep at age two and a 120 snowmachine at 4 that he shares with his sister. He's doesn't ride the 120 alone, he either rides it with his sister on the machine, or one of us standing by him. (He drives in a circle in the backyard.) His sister (8) drives it mostly.

I'm fighting the 4 wheeler issue too; I think an 80/90 is too big for him (but remember his sister is 8) and I don't want to waste my money on a 50cc or a non-brand name. This summer my plan is to buy either an 80 or 90 cc machine that she can ride and he can grow into.

Imo, at age 4 he'd probably get some good use out of a 50cc. They usually have tethers/other safety features not found on a 90 cc etc...

Tim

I started my eldest daughter at 4 on an old (1983) 50cc Suzuki. It took a little while for her to get comfortable, but after 8-10 times out I was able to untie my "safety" rope and turn her loose. Now at 10 she has taken over my Honda 300 and my 7 year old likes my Polaris 6x6!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Gunner

My son Gunner was 2 years and 10 months when I started him on a 80cc suzuki. He had a throttle limiter on it for a couple weeks then I took it off. He is a exceptional kid though. My daughter is almost 3 and she is still not ready for gas power. Gunner is now 5 and he will follow me on mild to moderate trails with his weeler. He carries his 410 or his 22 on his gun rack.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

I have 3 boys 5,4, and 6 mos. I keep looking for a realy old 50cc for cheap cause I can use it for the next 5 years just by passing it down. My 4 and 5 year olds have been ripping it up on the power wheels since they were about 15 mos.

I guess had a deprived child hood, and didn't even know it until reading this.

Default Spoiled kids!

I didnt have anything when I was growing up so I made sure my kids were a little better off. They both started out on power wheels. My son moved up to an old Suzuki LT50 quad when he was 5 and then he took over my wifes old Bear Tracker 250 when he was 11. My daughter inherited the 50 when she was 6 but now she usually just rides on the back of my 2 seater Arctic Cat. Every once in a while she will drive the 250 now.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I started when I was around six or so. Been riding and owning four-wheelers, snowmachines, and dirt bikes ever since. I'm hoping to get my daughter into snowmobile racing when she gets older.

My son was 7 when I bought him the Grizzly 80. He had almost a year to get used to it fully governed, then I removed the throttle limiter right after I got home from Iraq. It was quickly evident that he could handle more, so I removed the exhaust baffle and did an airbox mod to let in more air. The thing runs much better now (Was fouling plugs before) and really goes for an 80. My son loves it, and although he still has constant supervision every time he rides, I think he is ready for some trail rides with me. That little 80 might even keep up without me having to ride very slow. It will be passed on to his sisters when he moves up, and I have everything I need to choke back the power again for another beginner.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Electric 4-Wheeler First

We started our son out on an electric 4-wheeler first at age 4. He wore the plastic tires out on it, in about a year. The nice thing about the electric rig, is that it’s light weight. He is now 5, and he has a Yamaha 50, with the throttle limited.

We have about 1.25 acres of fairly flat yard. He rides just about every day during the summer. He never rides without his mom or myself being outside with him. His sister is 2 years older and started with a electric jeep. The boy could ride better than the older daughter for the first few months.

Our rules for the kids are:
    • Helmet is mandatory. (They used bicycle helmets with the electric rigs, then upgraded to full face.)
    • Boots or shoes, no sandals, bare feet, or other loose footwear.
    • Parent must be outside, and close by while riding.
    • No riding in the roadway, or as transportation to a friend’s house.
    • No riding while friends are over.
    • If they run into each other, the wheelers are put up for the rest of the day. (Yes we bought two of them… we tried the sharing thing for about 3 days.)
    Accidents to date:
    • Rollover – The boy rolled his two weeks after getting it. He didn’t get hurt, but he learned to evaluate what he’s riding over.
    • Collision with tree – Daughter now watches were she is going, and not if I’m watching her.
    You will also need to consider how to calm the wife’s nerves after she has watched them for the first day. Maybe send her to have her nails done… they will be chewed off by the second day!