Thread: Hunting with light?

Default Hunting with light?

I know this may be a stupid question but after reading about the red light effect on predators it made me wonder. Can you actually use lights in alaska to hunt predators?

Default Lights

YES, If you are hunting under a trapping license. NO, if you are hunting under a hunting license.

Thanks akfisher. I was told the other day that you cant in Alaska. Does anyone one up here actually hunt at night with a spot light?

Do a search of the forum threads. There have been a few discussions about people using lights.

There's been numerous people that have told me that you can spot light while predator hunting under a trapping license. When I read the trapping regulations a few months ago I could have swore it specifically stated lights are a no go. I'll have to read them again, soon.

I was wrong. Here it is straight off page 13 of the trapping regs.

take furbearers with the aid of a pit, fire, light (other than sunlight or moonlight), electronically enhanced night vision scope, radio communications, cellular or satellite
    telephones, artificial salt lick, explosives, expanding gas arrow, bomb, smoke, chemical (excluding scent lures), or a conventional steel trap with an inside jaw spread over 9 inches. Exceptions: Killer-style trap with a jaw spread of less than 13 inches may be used and artificial light may be used for the purpose of taking furbearers Nov. 1- Mar. 31 in Units 7 and 9-26 during an open season;
    http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...s/trapping.pdf