Thread: Custom built rifle costs

Default Custom built rifle costs

I'm hoping to have a custom rifle built. I was given an estimate by a rifle maker that seems almost too good to be true, any opinions?
    The proposed rifle is a .416 Taylor, stainless Montana Rifle Works model 70 action, stainless barrel, synthetic stock, iron sights.
    I was quoted "about $2,200".
    Mark

MRC Stainless barrel action runs $1,0920. McMillan stock costs about $450. Buy the iron sights and have them installed and the most you are looking at is $250.
    Much easier to just purchase the components yourself and then take it to a smith and have the sights installed.
    http://www.montanarifleman.com/barreled_actions.htm
    Tennessee

Default MRC

MRC barreled actions are OK, but not great. I have one in 6.5-284 that hasn't feed correctly since I got it. I sent it back to MRC and after they redid the feed ramp it's better but still not right. I called them on it and they said that If I wanted it any better I would have to go with a gunsmith of my choice but not them. They said their barreled actions may need additional gunsmithing to feed good. By my way of thinking, a barreled action should feed correctly - it's part of the action, isn't it! Enough of my soapbox, I would make sure you let you gunsmith know exactly what you expect. With a .416 Taylor you'll be working with a long action and hopefully won't have the problems I've had.

For a MRC rifle and a bedded McMillan stock, $2200 is about right. I would have McMillan bed the stock. They do an excellent job. If I ever go with another semi-custom rifle, I'm going to look at HS-Precision, Brown or the like. But, I will probably go with my local gunsmith. He's local and does good work for me. If I would have known him prior to my purchase of the MRC rifle, I probably wouldn't have been in the fix I'm in now. Bottom line, find a good gunsmith and build a good rapport.

Woody

It sounds like you know what you're doing Woody. You didn't mention what barrel and what stock were included in the $2200. Those are components that I would specify, especially the barrel.

The custom rifles that I have are collaborative projects between me and my trusted gun smith. That is, I already ordered and have the barrel I want, the action, the stock, etc. The smith reams, threads, trues, assembles, etc. according to what we have arranged. The final product is EXACTLY what I want.

Doc,

Actually I would be the first to admit that I didn't know what I was doing. That's was why I went with MRC, I figured a barreled action would solve most of the problems in putting together a custom or semi-custom rifle. At the time my gunsmith was retiring, so I figured I would do this one on my own. I planned to farm each step out as I put it together; barreled action MRC, stock McMillan, etc.

On my rifle I went with a 24" stainless #2 contour barrel with the muzzle cut with a target crown mounted to a stainless MRC short action. Their short actions are 3.1" in length which is perfect for the 6.5-284. The stock is a McMillan Hunters Edge, their new ultralight stock. I had the action bedded and pillar studs installed. I love the stock, I would recommend them to anybody.

It's very accurate, even though it's a hunting rig. To date, the best groups are with 140 grain Noslers and H4831SC powder. The H4831 seems to be the go-too powder for the 6.5-284.
    Last edited by Wa Woody; 12-07-2007 at 12:45. Reason: spelling error

Get ahold of stan Jackson. He does excellent work. I had him make my 458 Lott on a winchester classic action. I am very impressed with his work.