Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taxidermist recommendation in ER/Anchorage area

Default Taxidermist recommendation in ER/Anchorage area

Good evening.

I will be heading out to the woods this fall for moose hunting. In case I am successful with a good specimen, I am interested in getting a shoulder mount done. Is there any particular taxidermist in ER/Anchorage/Valley area that you have dealt with and would recommend? I would like to get with him/her to get some pointers and his preference on caping, etc prior to heading out to the woods.

Regards,

yhc

Back Country Taxidermy. One of the best. 868-6644. Forgot his web site.
    I just got back my RedStag and it's so awsome. I going to Africa next year and he will be doing the work on those animals.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Alaska grey,
    I heard Dan at back country was closed up. Good to hear he's still around. Wheres he located at now?

Default Knight's Taxidermy...

on Arctic Blvd in Anchortown has done some excellent for us and is willing to share information on what you need to know before your hunt. Good Luck, SeaULater

Quote Originally Posted by Blink
    Alaska grey,
    I heard Dan at back country was closed up. Good to hear he's still around. Wheres he located at now?
    Right off of Old seward and klatt rd. Right behind Wendy's there. Right now he is working a nice black bear shoulder mount that sits on a moose antler.
    Knights is another good taxidermy.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Here is my pride a joy. I just picked it up last night. Dan, did an awsome job on it. It will be entered in the SCI banquet for next year. It took longer then other taxidermy work, but was it worth the wait. It's a pedastel mount. I'm running out of room here in my house
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Fosters Taxidermy

Dan Foster and his family are absolute artists. they are off of Hyer Rd in the valley. They have done numerous predator mounts for us as well as a perfect moose mount and he is now doing a black bear rug for me. He will hopefully be doing a Caribou for me this fall if everything goes right He really loves to do sheep, but i have yet to get a sheep to mount.
    Justin

Default Pictures

I would greatly appreciate it if you all don't mind sharing some pictures of your trophies w/ the referece of your taxidermists that you recommend.

Alaska Gray,

I cant' seem to access your picture...I assume your "pride and joy" is the red stag mount.

Regards,

yhc

Yes it's my red stag. Wonder why you can't see it. Wonder if anyone else can't see it either?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Alaska grey,
    I can see your stag. Nice mount and trophy. My wife is a taxidermist and has worked with Dan in the past. A few good shops and alot of decent shops in town. Just gotta check out there work. Sometimes its better if it takes a little longer.

Yes you are correct there are allot of good taxidermies out there. I just like Dan work.
    That was one hard Stag to get. Plus a mean one at that.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Got the pic now

Hi Gary,

I logged on from a different IP address and am now able to see your pic of that trophy. That's a great looking Rot hirsch (red stag)! Thank you for sharing the pic.

Regards,

yhc

P.S. Was your stag from Down Under, S.A. or from the Old World?

yhc - Go with Yukon Grubaugh over at Tall Tales Taxidermy. Great work (won plenty of awards), friendly open shop that will give you lots of help and advice. Take a look at his website to view his work.

www.talltalestaxidermy.com

-Brian

Default Knights Taxidermy

He's located about 7600+/- on Artic Blvd in Anch. He's done a couple caribou and a blacktail for me that look great. Not cheap, but I wasn't looking to save $, I wanted a good looking mount and he did the job. Plus he is very willing to spend some time w/you before you go out to teach the correct method to skin and/or prepare an animal in the field. In fact, he used to hold free seminars on this subject.
    BK

Default How about in Fairbanks Area

Along the same lines can someone recommend a taxedermist in the Fair banks area?

There is also a small outfit called Lone Wolf Taxidermy in Eagle River (696-3611) who does outstanding work. He's won quite a few awards at SCI. Knights is also exceptional but takes awhile. He is very willing to discuss field care before you go out.

Charlie Livingston @ Alaska Wildlife Arts and taxidermy does great work and has also won a bunch of awards for his work but he isn't cheap. His shop is located in North Pole on the Richardson.

Default Tall Tales Taxidermy

I had a 'bou shoulder mount done by Yukon Grubaugh last Fall - did a great job and willing to tell you what you need to do ahead of time for caping to provide him the best material to work with.

Great Guy, excellent work, and quick turn around. Visit his shop on 4th ave off Boniface. The guy has like 300-400 animals displayed.

I'm kind of biased toward Yukon because I used to work for him....if you want a flawless mount, take it to Yukon, absolutely awesome work. Have him take you into his showroom...his WHOLE house..you'll be sold on his work. 907-338-5153.

Whatever you do, don't take your trophy to someone just because it's cheaper, cheaper is RARELY better in taxidermy. Guys spend all kinds of $$ on gear, the hunt, flights, etc. and then look for the cheapest guy to get the trophy mounted becaue they used up their hunting fund already and just want to get it mounted. Besides pictures, the mount is what should last forever on a hunt, and you don't want to look at a crappy mount for the rest of your life because you wanted to save a couple hundred bucks.

Whoever you go with, make sure you talk to them ahead of time so they can tell you what they expect from your cape when you return from the field. A quick trip into the shop before the hunt can determine what kind of final product you end up with...ESPECIALLY with bears which I know you're asking about a moose, but I saw more bears than I care to remember that were cut completely wrong and the final product ended with a lot of hide being cut off so you can end up with a symmetrical rug mount...it was sad sometimes as I cut 6-8 inches of hide off one side of the bear to make it symmetrical to the other side.

Good luck to you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast