Thread: Weatherby 257 questions

Default Weatherby 257 questions

I'm looking for a good caribou, and deer gun, I think my 300 Weatherby Mag and my 300 win mag are a little much for the job. Has anyone had any experience with the 257, or is there a better round/rifle out there for these critters?

Boy will you get a mix review and comments on this one. Yes the 257Wby will kill them. Are there better rounds? As many as there are opoinions out there. The 257Wby is an outstanding deer round and many caribou have fallen to this cal , but it is still a matter of opinion since there are so many great cartridges out there to do the job. I will be using my 257-300Wby on deer, hog, elk, Black bear and muley. But I will use a tough bullet like the TSX and I will have 3916ft pounds of energy at muzzle. Yes to your question that it is a great cal. and yes to your question that there are better but not many.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I don't see either of your 300's being too much unless you're shooting close range in the thickets. If you want a more diversified selection of guns, go for it though. Heck, a 25-06 would be dandy, too. Lots and lots of calibers suitable for bou and deer, as already noted. And your two 300's are on the list.

for deer i would just shoot a 160gr out of either 300 and for caribou i would shoot a 180-200gr out of it. no need for another rifle unless you just want that caliber. vance

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I dunno, your 300 is just about perfect in my opinion, I have shot all my Boo with a 30-06 and..............well, they all died. Perhaps you are mentally trying to justify the purchase of the 257? If so, you are not alone............I have wanted one for years, well, more specifically I have wanted a Mark V Delux rifle for years and with my current inventory of calibers, 257 would fill a gap that I dont yet have covered.

I say get one! The only time you can have too many guns, is when you fall out of a canoe with them strapped to your back
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default thanks for the responses

And yes, I'm l just need an excuse to buy another gun, I like Weatherby, and Browning, and what the heck just about any gun will put a smile on my face. I'd kinda like to get something that not everyone else has.

Beartooth, I saw your post on the 257-300, that gun looks awsome, I'd love to know how it shoots for you.

Default There was once when I thought it was too little a caliber...

Two years ago, hunting off of the Steese Highway, I thought that the .257 Wby was a bit too little of a gun for caribou...

I was about five miles off of the road and walking off of one of the mountains after an unsuccessful stalk on a 'bou. I was only a hundred yards from the base of the mountain and about to link up with my huntin' buddy. There wasn't much visibility in front of me since I was busting brush and alders, I'm tired as heck from zipping up this mountain, chasing after caribou, et cetera, et cetera. And, as I'm going down the hill I literally fell into a bear den! It was huge and had a cleared out "porch" in front of the cave area where I dropped in. While there was no bear in the cave it sure made me rethink my cartridge selection for caribou hunting. Yes, I still hunt with my .257 Wby, but I use the 120grain Nosler Partition bullets and the 115gr TSX bullets--I just want more penetration with this hot-rod cartridge. Like BearTooth said there are as many opinions as cartridges...have fun and get one--you can be one of the cool crowd, too!

IceKing02