Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Caribou Hunt/Char Fly Fishing Float

Talking 2008 Caribou Hunt/Char Fly Fishing Float

Looking for folks that have combined these late summer activities into a trip, more specifically what rivers? How successful were you? Anything will be helpful. I'm looking the closest at the Colville River watershed and the rivers that feed it. Hopefully I can make this float next year. Thanks

Cody

Wink Char and Bou!

Check out the Wulik, Kelly and the Kugguroruk Rivers in NW Alaska. The state record Char was taken in the Wulik and also from the Kelly.

I have Fly fisherman come up every summer just to work these rivers, you wont be disappointed! Check out me web site and the front page has some of the nice char from the Kugg. Let me know if I can assist you in any way!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

You should be more specific about "late". If you want both bou and trout (notice I said "trout"), then I'd stay with a unit 26 float. Talk to transporters in Bettles. If trout(there's that word again) is your priority, then Walt's spots will be fine.
    If you can find some "char" in NW alaska, let the fish bios know.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Smile Martentrapper

This is for you. Maybe you shoud stick to small furry animals.

ALASKA TROPHY FISH RECORD HOLDERS
    and
    Minimum Weight Required for Trophy Certificate

Return to Trophy Fish home page

Species Minimum Weight Required State Record Statistics
    Pounds
    Ounces Year Location Angler Name
    Arctic char/Dolly Varden 10 lb. 27/6 2002 Wulik River Mike Curtiss
    Brook Trout 3 lb. --- --- new species 1995 no record
    Burbot 8 lb. 24/12 1976 Lake Louise George R. Howard
    King salmon-Kenai R. 75 lb. 97/4 1985 Kenai River Lester Anderson
    King salmon-rest of AK. 50 lb. --- --- --- ---
    Chum Salmon 15 lb. 32/0 1985 Caamano Point Fredrick Thynes
    Coho salmon 20 lb. 26/0 1976 Icy Strait Andrew Robbins
    Cutthroat trout 3 lb. 8/6 1977 Wilson Lake Robert Denison
    Grayling 3 lb. 4/13 1981 Ugashik Narrows Paul F. Kanitz
    Halibut 250 lb. 459/0 1996 Unalaska Bay Jack Tragis
    Lake trout 20 lb. 47/0 1970 Clarence Lake Daniel Thorsness
    Lingcod 55 lb. 81/6 2002 Monty Island Charles Curny
    Northern pike 15 lb. 38/8 1991 Innoko River Jack Wagner
    Pink salmon 8 lb. 12/9 1974 Moose River Steven A. Lee
    Rainbow/steelhead trout 15 lb. 42/3 1970 Bell Island David White
    Rockfish 18 lb. 38/11 2001 Prince William Sound Rosemary Roberts
    Sheefish 30 lb. 53/0 1986 Pah River Lawrence E. Hudnall
    Sockeye salmon 12 lb. 16/0 1974 Kenai River Chuck Leach
    Whitefish 4 lb. 9/0 1989 Tozitna River Al Mathews

Thumbs up

hahaha Everybody wants to be an expert in this forum. I didn't want to say anything, but you did it for me...

Cool IN put

Say it, Say it!

You must be referring to this:
    Arctic char/Dolly Varden 10 lb. 27/6 2002 Wulik River Mike Curtiss

What I see is a category of "trout". The fact that people call it char doesn't mean the fish is a "char". It isn't. It is a TROUT, a dolly varden TROUT.
    The fish in the Wulik R. are dolly varden. Arctic char is a label incorrectly given to dolly vardens in spawning colors.
    There are char in some lakes and rivers that come from those lakes. But not in NW alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    What I see is a category of "trout". The fact that people call it char doesn't mean the fish is a "char". It isn't. It is a TROUT, a dolly varden TROUT.
    Do you have any references for that assertion?

Accoring to the ADF&G wildlife notebook (compiled by fisheries biologists), the dolly varden is indeed a char.

Dolly Varden belong to a group of fish called char. The light spots on their sides distinguish them from most trout and salmon which are usually black spotted or speckled.

And this is from the Wikipedia entry on Dolly Varden:

The Dolly Varden trout, Salvelinus malma malma, is a subspecies of anadromous fish in the salmon family, and is technically a char. Although many of the fish are anadromous, the fish also exists in landlocked waterways in the northwest United States.
    Looks like some call it a trout, but that it is actually a char. I couldn't find one source that says otherwise.

You guys are making me work.

OK, Brian, here is the same thing on Arctic Char from the wildlife notebook:

"The Arctic char (Salvelinus alpinus Linnaeus) is present in North America in both the anadromous (seagoing) and the nonanadromous (freshwater resident) forms. It is distributed throughout the polar regions and is the most northerly distributed of char and its closely related cousin, the Dolly Varden (Salvelinus malma Walbaum). It was only in the 1980s that taxonomists established the relationship between these species in North America. This relationship, however, is still under consideration by some scientists.

There are some external characteristics which can be used to differentiate between Arctic char and Dolly Varden. Arctic char generally have a shorter head and snout, a trait particularly evident in spawning males. The tail of an Arctic char has a slightly deeper fork than that of a Dolly Varden, and the base of the Arctic char's tail is narrower."

The bios I talk to up here say dolly's are trout.

Here is the range of the "arctic char"

Range: Arctic char range across the northern polar regions. In Alaska, they are known to occur only in the lake resident form. Arctic char are found in lakes in the Brooks Range, the Kigluaik Mountains, the Kuskokwim Mountains, the Alaska Peninsula, Kenai Peninsula, Kodiak Island, and in a small area of Interior Alaska near Denali Park.

Default martentrapper

Wow, sweet, but do you know anything about caribou hunting and fishing up there. I could care less what you want to classify them as I just want to FISH!

Marten - The Dolly Varden is not an Arctic Char. We're in agreement there. But the Dolly is still a char nonetheless (much like a brook trout is not a rainbow trout, but it's still a trout). A Char is a level of classification (genus?), whereas Arctic Char and Dolly Varden are species within that group.

I think....

Talking Man Martentrapper, you crack me up!

You just spent a ton of energy to prove the point that in the Wulik we have a fish that is a Char but the Bios you talk to call it a Dolly which is actually a Char. I think you are like a dog who has caught his own tail and is in the process of eating his ***!

Cody: Shoot me PM or go to my web site and I can help you catch some nice “Char” “Dolly-Char” and bag a bou in the same trip. We will need to look at the time frame that you are looking at and match you up with the migration and the best chance to catch some nice fish. I sent some guys up into the Kuggurork last Sept 10-15 and they bagged some big Bou as well as Char. I have caught nice Char in the Kelly as well as the Wulik and the Nimmi but the migration is different in those rivers. We can still do it.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Is cabin fever setting in?

It appears to me that it's time to go find something to hunt. And think we could all use a good trip out in the field, just to clear our heads. But anyway thanks for the enjoyable reading I appreciate it as always.

Perhaps we need a new fish ID forum.

Tucker

Cody, nope don't know squat about hunting up there. Stick with Walt, he knows the ropes and will find you something up there to catch and kill.

Is a caribou a reindeer?
    Last edited by Valley Trash; 12-08-2007 at 12:52. Reason: spelling

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker View Post
    It appears to me that it's time to go find something to hunt....
    Naw... stick around Tucker. We get to huntin' each other here long about February!

And don't let 'Trapper fool ya. He might not know a trout from a cisco, but he for darn sure knows something about the arctic.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up Caribou and char

We've hunted out of Kotzebue with Ram Aviation numerous times and are going again in 2008. Twice we have hunted and then been moved to fish for char. I read a story one time in I think it was Fishing Alaska or Alaska Fishing about Ram aviation/Mike Spisak taking people out for char and Shee fish and it was a great article. It started out by saying Mike Spisak is a dangerous man, give him 5 minutes on the phone and you'll toss out all of your worldly belongings and be on the next plane to Kotzebue. (or something like that). We did great on carbiou and then was moved to the Kelly river one day and the Wulik the next. My arms were tired from catching so many fish and big ones that were close to 20 pounds, well 17 -18 anyway. I think I talk about the fishing more then the hunt because I've never seen an entire river move like a shadow before with the shadow being a school of fish probably 3000 strong. It was the best fishing of my life and I'm not an avid fisherman. We have always taken our own camp gear but Mike has said that Walt has done a great job up there and if we don't want to bring our own gear that he would rent top notch gear to us. We are considering that for 2008. Anyway hope this helps you out a little.

Default thanks!!

Thanks That Last Post Was Great Advice!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast