Thread: Nancy Lakes Ice Fishing

Default Nancy Lakes Ice Fishing

Any Nancy Lakes ice fishing reports? Ice thickness? Particularly Redshirt? Looking to get out of the house, do some ice fishing and get the cobwebs off the snowmachine if possible. Any help appreciated.

is there even snow there yet?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default doubt theres any snow

flat lake has about 8 to 9 inches so i imagine red shirt is similar. they are driving trucks across flat lake now. i wouldnt do it but thats what i am hearing. fished flat lake last weekend and id feel comfortable with a 4 wheeler out there this weekend. gonna try fire lake this weekend and get the kids out of the house

Default Ice

Thanks for the ice report akriverrat. How did you do out at flat lake? I havent fished that area much, but looking try some new spots this year. I fished seventeen mile lake last weekend and did alright. Everything in the 10-15" range though. There was about 12" of good ice.

Anybody ever rented one of the state cabins out there?

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post

Anybody ever rented one of the state cabins out there?
    If you are talking about Nancy Lake rec area, yes. I did last summer on Lynx Lake. Two single bunks and one double with a good stove. Bring wood with you. Over that weekend I caught 12 pike with the biggest being about 30".

Default Cabins

Thanks for the cabin info, seems like a good/cheap getaway. Is the only difference in the cains out their size? Is their particular ones that are better or more desireable?

What were you using for the Pike? Spoons/Spinners or Hering?

Ive Stayed In Them In The Past. They Are Not Bad At All. The Small One Is Small And The Big One Is Big.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    Thanks for the cabin info, seems like a good/cheap getaway. Is the only difference in the cains out their size? Is their particular ones that are better or more desireable?

What were you using for the Pike? Spoons/Spinners or Hering?
    It is a great "cheap" getaway. I think for the most part the diffrence is the location. I know in other areas of the state they have diffrent types of heaters and diffrent sizes. The pike were biteing anything we threw in front of them. I successfuly used Meps, Rooster Tail, Spoon, and a leadhead with a grub on it. I know that there is supposed to be other species in that lake system but all we found was pike. I stayed in Lynx Lake cabin #2. We had success around the dock out to an island near by in shallow water.

Thats Cabin#2 At Red Shirt In Pic Above. We Used Herring But A Pike Fisherman I Know Said To Use Red Eyed Wigglers.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the help. Hopefully I will be able to post a few pics next week. I have never used Red Eyes through the ice, but have had success with them in spring. Do you guys just jig with them?

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

we only had one bite all day long but we had a good time. we were fishing in 25 to 30 feet of water trying to focus on bigger char, maybe we were fishing too deep.

according to fish n game red shirt lake is supposed to have lake trout in it. has anyone ever caught a laker out of redshirt?