Thread: Haul Road Caribou

Default Haul Road Caribou

Looks like there will be some decent bulls along the haul road this year. I took this picture this morning (July 16, 2006) near the "South Hanger" across the road from PBOC at Prudhoe Bay. The 'bou are hanging around the well pads and flow stations trying to stay away from the bugs. Within the past week we have noticed bachelor groups of bulls growing in numbers and have just now statrted forming up with the cows and calves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's a nice looking bull. He'd make a decent mount.

Now you got my blood flowing. Can't wait to the first week of Aug.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaTex
    Looks like there will be some decent bulls along the haul road this year. I took this picture this morning (July 16, 2006) near the "South Hanger" across the road from PBOC at Prudhoe Bay. The 'bou are hanging around the well pads and flow stations trying to stay away from the bugs. Within the past week we have noticed bachelor groups of bulls growing in numbers and have just now statrted forming up with the cows and calves.
    CAN WE SAY HELLOOOO DINNER?

Default ?

I know it is only a guess, where will most of the herd be the first week of Aug? Will they be any farther south? First time up on the Haul road for bou, a few friends and I are pretty excited.

Outside:

I work here on the North slope and hunt the "haul road" every other year. There will be caribou headed south in early August (at least they have in years past). I have seen them in large numbers near the confluence of the Sag and Ivishak rivers during the first week of August. Having said that, if anyone knows where the caribou will be at a given time please let me know, I have some stock picks I would like you to look at!

I am really ready to leave Iraq after seeing that picture. I should be back just in time to go after Haul Road caribou.