Thread: Jim Creek Logging Roads?

Default Jim Creek Logging Roads?

I tried the logging/ ATV roads out by the Jim Creek 4x4 road on Monday morning. I was out there at the crack of dawn, walked around for about 2 hours and didn't see a single bird, or rabbit.

What gives? By the look of the area I would have thought it to be great grouse hunting? Have those logging roads been over hunted?

For those who are regularly successful at small game hunting in Alaska, do you usually hike off road (in the thick brush/ trees).

I thought grouse hunting was good along dirt roads?

Should I be hiking straight through the woods instead?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zeb View Post
    Should I be hiking straight through the woods instead?
    Thanks!
    I tried that too and still not one bird. I did find one carcasse but a fox or yote got it first. I wold head back further past jims creek if you have a wheeler some peopple have reported success more toward friday creek. I don't know if it is hunting pressure or just the constant noise of atv's but that area seems to be devoid of game.

Default grouse hunting

I've not had a lot of luck hunting grouse in the winter time. I don't know if they spend their time in the trees or under the spruce bows. Either way, I've spent countless hours in the snow looking for tracks in the exact places I shoot them in the fall/spring but can't seem to find them in the winter. You got me. When you figure it out, howabout telling me what you've learned, ha, ha. Darn grouse fly south for the winter I think.

I read somewhere that during the winter grouse will stay in a 2 to 3 acre territory. Usually the fall bounty of berries and gravel is the thing that gets them moving. And of course spring mating.

It's typical I see grouse visit the flats when the sun is going down. They wander right out of the woodline and into the open. I usually see this on the trail that is located on the other side of Jim Creek at the top of the sand hill. When I follow that top trail for a couple miles it fairly common I will see a grouse. I've also seen them on the Friday Creek trail to wolf point, but I don't see them that often anywhere near the parking lot.

Well I went out to the same area again and did manage to see one rabbit. No grouse though. I think all the wildlife has been exterminated from that area - there are obviously too many ignorant people driving around back there.

It's a really nice area to drive a 4x4, but I just wish people weren't so disgusting and would learn to pick up their trash!

I can understand enjoying a few beers out in the woods, but why do people leave their cans, bottles, and other trash?

Also, that area is just full of old refrigerators, junk cars, and other garbage. Not to mention the pile of about 4 or 5 moose calf carcases I saw (obviously poached)... Oh and a dead horse.

*** people?

What happened to morals? Ethics? Brains? Common Sense?

Let's not contribute to the increasing perception that all hunters are ignorant dirty rednecks. It does all of us a great disservice - especially when the liberals want to ban legal ownership of firearms for recreational purposes.

Just throw the trash in the back of your pickup/jeep/or ATV and put it in a public trash can. Please.

I used to party out there as a kid and yeah it gets abused pretty bad. I don't like it but I don't want to see it get restricted to the point that responsible people aren't able to enjoy it either. There are many safe areas to shoot out there and it is great access to some pretty decent hunting. The junk cars and litter are mostly from kids partying and maybe the occasional redneck. There is a big push to increase LEO presence out there. I hope that the officers tasked with controlling that area go after the minority of offenders and not the majority of users. Often in this state they get an attitude and end up harassing people out to enjoy the area responsibly and have almost 0 impact on the actual criminals. ( no dig on the fine folks that put themselves in harms way to protect and serve the majority of you are fine people but you each know "that guy"!)