Thread: Techniques for fly fishing. Need advice.

Default Techniques for fly fishing. Need advice.

I am relatively new to fly fishing and brand new to fly fishing in Alaska. I am going to spend 13 days in August fishing for dollies and grayling on one of the lower tributaries of the Noatak. I hear alot about wet fly swing and drift fishing streams. Could some one tell me how to do this and recommended leader configurations. What is the best way to add weight to the leader. I have used some split shot but it keeps coming off. I will be taking a sink tip and floating line. I have 7 1/2 ft and 9 ft leaders for the floating line and some 4 ft leaders for the sink tip. I am curious how to fish flies like polar shrimp, battle creek specials, mickey finns, and glo bugs. Any special techniques? I know this sounds like simple stuff, but no one I know here in Nome flyfishes very much and I really want to be prepared for this trip. Any suggestions, as always, are greatly appreciated.

Default Come On Fellas

I Am Not Asking For Grandmas Apple Pie Recipe. Offer Some Insights. I Got A Few Books To Help Get Me Started, But They Dont Discuss The Techniques Needed To Fish Up Here.

Default this may help

Most of the streamer / wooly bugger/ leach type patterns I fish down and across. Just cast across the stream at a slight down stream angle try to keep the line leader and fly in a straight line and keep rod tip low. Make sure you have a little slack in your line hand to take up some of the shock of a big hit. You can also high stick as you would with a nymph to get the fly down a little lower (although you don't cover as much water) watch as the leader enters the film if it stops give a little strip set if no weight is felt continue the drift if you fell wieght raise your rod tip and hold on.
    As far as wieght splitshot usually work for me in extreme cases I may go w/ a slinky. If you have a sink tip line put a 3'-4' piece of straight mono on it and let the line take it down. Hope this helps

Oh egg's I usually fish them with the high stick method if I need to make longer casts i might put on an indicater.

I would get a guide if you are that green to the sport. They will tech technique,flies and so on. Well worth the $$$. Good luck and welcome to the world of fly fishing.
    P.S. I hope your wife doesn't mind you getting into the sport! Very addicting and time consuming!!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Well I see by the responses here that I probably shoud not even ask. But I have been a lure/bait thrower for the past 49 odd years or so and just recently had the urge to try this fly fishing thing. But as I can see, fly fisherman are as snobby as they appear.

You dont need to use tapered leaders if thats what is causing your weights to move or fall off. A straight peice of mono will do fine.

Sent you a PM Dan.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 07-30-2006 at 18:51.

Allen, I may have went over the line on earlier post but I hate it when people ASSUME fly fishermen are SNOBS as you put it! I am far from a snob and I do ASSUME that Fish Bum is not a snob either! I am an ANGLER! I do what it takes to catch fish. I do though Fly Fish amout 85% of the time. Dan asked a question that would be better addressed in person by someone with great knowledge to the sport, he would learn more in one day on the water with a guide than he could learn from a forum. One more thing, explain how I or Fish Bum came of snoby to you!! Where I am from has no relevance!!!!

Default Snobs

Quote Originally Posted by AlleninAlaska
    Well I see by the responses here that I probably shoud not even ask. But I have been a lure/bait thrower for the past 49 odd years or so and just recently had the urge to try this fly fishing thing. But as I can see, fly fisherman are as snobby as they appear.
    Allen,

Yes, we are all snobs. Occupational hazard. Maybe after 49 more years of casting flies you can be one too.

Default Rewind: Flycasting technique in AK...

Wow, this was awhile back. Dan could probably answer his own post now - he's certainly posted plenty of fish pics since then.

For others with questions about technique, I've found YouTube to be a real boon to learning. A few focus on fishing in Alaska (Russian River for one). DVDs by Scientific American (sold at WalMart) and others (Mel Krieger, Joan Wulff) can help. But the best thing (if you live here) is to go watch experienced fly fishers do their thing. With the weighted flies, split shot, etc, it's not exactly classic, but it works.

Wonder how AlleninAlaska made out?

Talk about a blast from the past

Funny stuff man and brings back old memories. You know, like being ignorant, desperate, clueless... ha ha....

I was begging for help and had few takers. Thanks alot guys. Just want you to know the wife outfished me on that trip and I blame it on the lack of responses to this thread

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default I was begging for help and had few takers

Dan- You have returned the favor in the knowledge of the Alaska fishing world back to some other noobs, ME! Thanks for the insight and direction in getting much needed info. Hopefully I can get some good pics up from the Lake Creek float and some nice Park Stream Bows

Those are some **** nice fish dan! Were you catch those fellas?
    -Its better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.
    -Put some excitment between your legs, ride a polaris!
    -Local 907 Riders Union
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AKMackdaddy?feature=mhee

Default Nice

Thats a kick ***** dolly! Leave it up to the women to out fish us all!

Quote Originally Posted by Lake creek fishermen View Post
    Those are some **** nice fish dan! Were you catch those fellas?

Finger Lake

sent you a pm...
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by heinhendge3 View Post
    Dan- You have returned the favor in the knowledge of the Alaska fishing world back to some other noobs, ME!

And you will do the same one day. That is how it works man