Thread: 6.8mm SPC

Default 6.8mm SPC

Thinking I really want an AR type rifle, but not the 11 lb AR-10. And I just can't see buying a 223, since it isn't legal for big game here, and I don't think its got quite enough oomph anyway.

Anybody have any experience with the 6.8mm SPC. Seems to me that while it aint no super ultra mega mag, it should work just fine. I was thinking Mule Deer Size (250lbs on the large side) on down. And I know everybody's friend or uncle or internet persona has shot an elephant with a 223, I just don't think it is a big game rifle with enough power for me. Not enough margin for error as it were.

Am I kidding myself thinking the 6.8mm SPC would work? I'm not thinking long range termination either, just normal woodland hunting. It seems to compare with the 257 roberts or 260 remington with the carbine barrel, and a little better with a 20-22" barrel. My Remington book lists a 270 "managed recoil" as being essentially the identical round.

Anybody have any thoughts or experiences??
    You know you aren't really having fun until you ask yourself -how much is this going to cost me?

I think it would make a dandy little deer round. I have a buddy that has killed deer forever with a 6.5br. Performance wise the 6.5br mirrors the 6.8.

Shoot em in the boiler room and the 6.8 will kill em as dead as anything will. Might even do so without blowing the off side leg clear off the critter!

Quote Originally Posted by mnbirddog View Post
    And I just can't see buying a 223, since it isn't legal for big game here, and I don't think its got quite enough oomph anyway.
    The first part of your statement is incorrect, read pages 15, 16 & 17 of the Hunting Regulations. The second part of your statement I'll let stand!

Default 6.8 spc

338-06, if you notice he lives in Minnesota so their hunting regs might be different than ours. I've been considering the ruger mini 14 in the 6.8 spc for wolf and caribou and I think it would be adequate for moose under 100 yds. too, So far everything I've read about it as far as hunting goes is that it does it's job well even on elk size game. So I say go for it and let us know how it hammers em'..................

Thanks ThunderChicken, I missed that. I've been looking at the 6.8 too, and agree with you.

This is a neat, dainty little round, I just can't warm up to it since it isn't 6.5mm. I had one in a light weight Stoner rifle a few years ago and it is a fun round and barrels stay cooler than with the 223. The caliber runs on the same platfrom as the 15 no big frame AR-10 is needed.

I have a friend who hunts caribou, etc with a 6.5 Grendell which is only slighty more horse power, so I suppose the SPC would work also. It is an experts gun requiring very well placed shots and then only broad side. I would not hunt moose with such a diminutive caliber. I have 6.5 PPC ( I just necked up the 6PPC) which is close to the ballistics of the Grindell, but mine is in a 12" handgun. It has been good for antelope and one muley. But hand gun hunting is different than rifle and getting close and taking the right shot is paramount. I think the best application of the civilian 6.8 SPC would be in a light weight carbine cut to kids dimensions for white tail deer in grampa's orchard.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I had considered changing an AR carbine into a 6.8mm SPC.

I read all through the info related to the original development of the round and noted that they had the best accuracy results with a 6.5mm projectile, but the best destructive power against the target medium with a 7mm bullet.

So they split the difference at the 6.8mm hoping for a little of both.

After reviewing the price of ammo, magazines and ammo components, I decided to put off changing an AR.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com