Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Punching Your Tag Updated Info!

Default Punching Your Tag Updated Info!

OK, This is what I found out (I have permission to give name and number from him).

I talked with "AL CAIN" from the dept. of fish and game in anchorage, he is a 25yr fish and wildlife state troop and now for the last 5yrs he is the dept. holy lama for the "game laws bible". He did tell me that if anyone had any questions what so ever, please call him, he loves to talk about this kinda stuff, and trust me, he does, great guy to talk to. Here is what he had to say...

The defininition of the word "TAKE", is just the way it is spelled out in the reg's book. They defind it that way to use as a kind of "umbrella term", meaning......

EXAMPLE: If you were "fishing", actually casting bait or a lure and F&G came up and asked for your licences and you do not have one, they can write you a ticket for trying to "TAKE".

If you were "hunting", actually out in the field stalking game and F&G came up and asked you for your licence and or tags and you do not have one, they can write you a ticket for trying to "TAKE".

Understand the definition of the word "TAKE".? OK, For the rest of the story!

If you stalk a animal and DO NOT SHOOT AT IT, you DO NOT HAVE TO PUNCH YOUR TAG.

If you stalk a animal and TAKE A SHOT BUT MISS, you DO NOT HAVE TO PUNCH YOUR TAG.

If you SHOOT AND WOUND a animal, it is YOUR RESPONCABILITY TO DO EVERY THING IN YOUR POWER to find that animal. i.e. spend a day or 2 to recover said animal. Now, if you DO NOT find that animal, you DO NOT HAVE TO PUNCH YOUR TAG. BUT! You have better made every way possible to find said animal. Because that is another spot where the term "TAKE" can come into play.

**SIDE NOTE** He does agree with me that you should ETHICALLY punch your tag because that would be the right thing to do, but it is up to your descression. *personally, I would punch my tag, and yes, I have done this once in my hunting life and explained it to the law and was cleared.*

NOW, There are some places down along the coast where hunting for "BEAR" that if you SHOOT AND WOUND A ANIMAL AND LOOSE IT, YOU MUST PUNCH YOUR TAG! Please refer to your reg book for those units.

This is the only time you need to punch your tag.

"5 AAC 92.010(B)
    (b) After killing an animal for which a harvest ticket is required, the hunter shall remove immediately, before leaving the kill site, the day and month of the kill from the harvest ticket without removing any other day or month, and shall keep the validated harvest ticket in possession until the animal has been delivered to the location where it will be processed for human consumption.
    You will notice that the actual regulation states killing, not taking"

So, there you have it from a 30yr verteran, and he did state, if anyone has anyyyyyy kind of question, please call him, he loves to talk about this stuff and would be happy to explain any of the reg's with the Alaska Dept. Of Fish and Game.

AL CAIN (907)267-2157 ADF&G

Curt

Nice work, thank you.
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreen View Post
    Nice work, thank you.
    Welcome

Default Thanks

Thanks for the information. Good job.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

If you were "hunting", actually out in the field stalking game and F&G came up and asked you for your licence and or tags and you do not have one, they can write you a ticket for trying to "TAKE".

To make sure I'm clear, let's say I just want to get close and you have a gun for protection, I could recieve a ticket?

I'm not trying to be a smarty, but being a non-resident the first year I had planned to still spend a lot of time in the woods learning and experimenting. I am a bit "iffy" about hitting the woods un-armed but I will do it to prevent a misunderstanding and a ticket.

Thanks for the great info. I think this site is going to allow me to get to AK a lot more prepared than the average guy.

OK, I;m an ethical hunter. I shoot at and wound, or possibly wound, a game animal. Unfortunately, I fail to recover the animal. Being the ethical hunter I am, I punch my tag. I'm done hunting.
    But wait, I now have evidence, the punched tag, that I HARVESTED a game animal. But I have no meat, hide, antlers, etc. in camp. Am I guilty of failing to salvage?
    I think a punched tag is to DOCUMENT a kill. If you kill an animal, you better meet the required salvage regs. Additionally, if you punch your tag, you better also send in the report card showing a kill, even tho you don't know if the animal died.
    If an ethical hunter wants to quit hunting after a possible wounding and loss of game animal, fine. Don't punch your tag until you have a dead animal in your possesion.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Smile Hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post

To make sure I'm clear, let's say I just want to get close and you have a gun for protection, I could recieve a ticket?

I'm not trying to be a smarty, but being a non-resident the first year I had planned to still spend a lot of time in the woods learning and experimenting. I am a bit "iffy" about hitting the woods un-armed but I will do it to prevent a misunderstanding and a ticket.

Thanks for the great info. I think this site is going to allow me to get to AK a lot more prepared than the average guy.
    Well, based on the definition of "attempt to take", I would certainly avoid "experimenting" with big game animals during hunting season. If you are a non resident with no valid tag and a hunting rifle in your hands, and you are stalking a big game animal during hunting season it's gonna be pretty hard to convince the troopers that you were just out for a walk and not actually hunting. We could get into discussions about burden of proof and such, but my guess is that you're going to end up with a citation and a trip to court at least.

I'd just tag along with someone else who is hunting, or stay out of it until you are actually hunting yourself. Just some free advice, and it's worth every penny you paid for it!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Martentrapper, you think of everything! A very good point though about having the animal in possession. I guess that is why in dsldog's case he "explained it to the law and was cleared". I assume, dsldog, that you had strong evidence that it was a fatal wound?
    Great post. thanks for sharing the info.

If you are a non resident with no valid tag and a hunting rifle in your hands, and you are stalking a big game animal during hunting season it's gonna be pretty hard to convince the troopers that you were just out for a walk and not actually hunting.
    I wouldn't be out during hunting season unless I was with a hunter or hunting. I wouldn't want to blunder into someone's setup or mess up someones stalk.

My thought is if if I'm sneaking around the woods with a camera, or glassing from a ridge (out of season), I'd trust that any reasonable person would believe that my firearm was for the one in a million chance I need to defend myself.

Before anyone mentions it; I do realize that reasonable people are sometimes few and far between.

MT, you can think "outside the box" better than anyone I have ever met!

Outstanding post.

In my eyes, I appreciate this more than anyone on this forum. I've been down that road, chosen the greater of two evils and been publicly admonished by someone (let's just say we all know him) for doing so. I tried to justify my decision that the hunt was a cull, but, now, thanks to you buddy, I don't have to.

Thanks Kusko and Wes. I think there are specific reasons for punching your tag, i.e., harvesting and salvaging a game animal. Anyone can pick any time within their hunting to be the ultimate ethical hunter. We should also be LEGAL hunters. Is punching your tag without properly harvested and salvaged parts, legal?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Thanks Kusko and Wes. We should also be LEGAL hunters. Is punching your tag without properly harvested and salvaged parts, legal?
    That is so funny.

I've seen it enforced differently. Once up the haul road where a group of caribou came by two hunters crossing the road and a caribou was gut shot. The two persued it but came up empty handed. The Trooper flying the plane watched the whole thing and saw the bou go down about 2 1/2-3 miles out. He came and landed on the road the next day and informed the hunters where it was and that they needed to go get it. I was talking with the two hunters at the time the Trooper landed and his interpretation of "Take" was much different and that the one that shot was lucky he hadn't gotten another.

Second was 2006 on Eielson. A hunter put an arrow in a moose back a bit to far one evening and the next morning was out after a different moose in a different area. I asked him what happened and he said he couldn't find it, so off to another. I told him I had heard different from a Trooper in the past and he should call them to clarify. He was told by the Troopers that he could continue to persue the one he had shot but if he was to kill another, he would be in a world of trouble.

So if the animal can be found and linked to the shooter, does "Take" apply? I'd think so. I don't think its so cut and dry. All there needs to be is some evidence. If a Trooper was to video or had video of a guy gut shooting a caribou on the haul road and then he kills another a couple days later (This is during Aug. with a one bou limit mind you) do you think it would go to court and who do you think would win in this case? I bet it would and the Trooper would win easily if something like this went before a judge.

I found out later the guy that shot the moose was also involved in the shooting of the two moose on the Taylor during the caribou hunt prior to that, so that explains where his head was.

**SIDE NOTE** He does agree with me that you should ETHICALLY punch your tag because that would be the right thing to do, but it is up to your descression. *personally, I would punch my tag, and yes, I have done this once in my hunting life and explained it to the law and was cleared.*

I would think that if one's personal value system dictated the hunt is over if one wounded an animal and could not recover it (which I don't have a problem with either way) one could satisfy one's conscience AND any possibility of violating the law by simply not hunting any longer instead of inviting on oneself the additional red tape of punching a tag for which I did not have an animal for.

But hey, that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskaflyer331 View Post
    I would think that if one's personal value system dictated the hunt is over if one wounded an animal and could not recover it (which I don't have a problem with either way) one could satisfy one's conscience AND any possibility of violating the law by simply not hunting any longer instead of inviting on oneself the additional red tape of punching a tag for which I did not have an animal for.

But hey, that's just me
    That is exactly right!

BSM, that's heresay.

Boy MT, you sure shot those Ethics boys down.........

Quote Originally Posted by Bowshop Monkey View Post

Second was 2006 on Eielson. A hunter put an arrow in a moose back a bit to far one evening and the next morning was out after a different moose in a different area. I asked him what happened and he said he couldn't find it, so off to another. I told him I had heard different from a Trooper in the past and he should call them to clarify. He was told by the Troopers that he could continue to persue the one he had shot but if he was to kill another, he would be in a world of trouble.
    I don't think the troopers enforce the law on Eielson do they? I thought they had their own?

They do, same as Elmendorf and Ft Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Kusko View Post
    I don't think the troopers enforce the law on Eielson do they? I thought they had their own?
    I've seen them take moose and write citations on transmitter road more than once, both Eielson and Wrainwright land. But what does that matter to you, as you have said what I've been told by Troopers and seen for myself is just hearsay but you'll go with what AKDSLDOG has heard because its what you want to hear.

Both the state and the military folks have wildlife jurisdiction on the military reservations.

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post

I thought I read that you can carry a weapon while hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, etc. Not sure of the statute on that though, I'd have to look it up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast