Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: proposal 8....bison....10 year wait.

Thumbs down proposal 8....bison....10 year wait.

Frankly, simply doubling the current 5 year wait to get back into the bison draw doesn't address the issue....not at all.

The pool of people entering the drawings for bison is huge. And the number of permits is small. The resource is limited.

In the PDF, under Proposal 8, the "other solutions considered?" quote was annoying, completely biased and arrogant.

"OTHER SOLUTIONS CONSIDERED? One bison per lifetime, rejected because populations and regulations change. If larger herds are someday established people may like to get another."

Who are these twerps representing? According to this brain-trust the guys who already got a bison may want to get another. Wow...quite an insight. How about the people who never get a permit. Their opportunity to hunt wild bison in Alaska is of no concern to the board's pooh-bahs. They're basically not dealing with the issue, because they think it's the way it should be, and it isn't worth fixing.

Further, game populations always change, and regulations always adjust to the current realities. That's the Board's job, and it's supposed to be an ongoing process. Bison number are limited, as are permits. A limit of one bison per lifetime is fair to everyone. No one should get a second permit, until all hunters entering the draw have had their chance to have a first permit. If larger herds are established in the future, the Board can then adjust the regulations to reflect the new facts. They claim that the "one in a lifetime" solution is unreasonable because there may be bigger herds someday. Simply amazing.

I've been donating $20 - $40 in fees each May, for 26 years, trying to draw a bison permit. The system is a dandy fund raiser for Ak F&G. No wonder they like it the way it is. The system is unfair and broken.

The solutions are simple....bison should be "residents only", and "once in a lifetime."

Once the Fish and Game establishment grows those "larger herds" years in the future, then the regulations can become more generous. The current realities render the choice clear....atleast to anyone willing to approach this as an issue of fairness for all Alaskan hunters.

what part of random draw is unfair? Explain it to me mathematically....

I think its a good idea, by limiting the applicant pool people who have not hunted will have a bigger pool to draw from... I'd prefer to see more permit going to residents, just as punishment to the lower 48 for killing all of their bison

(kidding about that last part)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I'm just curious on how many years I have to apply before I get a bison tag? Going on 13 years this spring.

Non-residents shouldn't even be allowed to participate in this hunt. That would help some.

maybe next year maybe never this is why people play the lottery instead of invest in CD's.

Default Keep trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I'm just curious on how many years I have to apply before I get a bison tag? Going on 13 years this spring.

Non-residents shouldn't even be allowed to participate in this hunt. That would help some.
    Every year, your chances are the same (give or take a tenth or two on the percentage side). Chances of being drawn don't increase by the more times you have applied. It's just like flipping a coin. Even though you have hit heads 10 times in a row, it is still a 50/50 chance of hitting tails the 11th time around, there is no effect from the previous 10 flips (unless you are one of those who can flip the coin the same every time ).

Some people get drawn their fist try, others never get drawn. So far, I have been putting in for somewhere around 20 years and remain in the 0-fer category.

Default drawings

see proposal #16 by the mat-Valley AC..... AK needs to get up to speed on drawing hunts. I've been putting in for at least 10 years (it's been so long I forget exactly) Denny

Default Bison

For once I agree - limit the bison draw to residents and once in a lifetime. There is plenty of opportunity to hunt bison in the lower 48 including some free range bison.

That would help

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    That would help
    I hate to say it the way I did, but come on, this is a very limited resource that should be set aside for Alaskan's to try and enjoy.

I hate to say it the way I did, but come on, this is a very limited resource that should be set aside for Alaskan's to try and enjoy.
    I wasn't at all trying to sound sarcastic I agree that that is how the resource should be managed.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    what part of random draw is unfair? Explain it to me mathematically....

I think its a good idea, by limiting the applicant pool people who have not hunted will have a bigger pool to draw from... I'd prefer to see more permit going to residents, just as punishment to the lower 48 for killing all of their bison

(kidding about that last part)

I agree. I don't understand how or why a preference point system would help. Random is the most fair. (Is that a term?)

Ha! Funny!

Tim

26 years if donating my money to the tag i have never got
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default Auction

I don't think eliminating nonresidents is going to fix anything except give out a few more tags. You're odds probably won't improve as much as you think. How about an auction? Maybe take 5-10% or so of the tags and auction them off. Use the money to improve the herd. Has anyone seen how much bighorn tags go for in the southwest? If you bid the most for the tag, then your chance of getting one is 100%. I don't understand why so mant people think that limiting nonresidents is going to magically fix everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton74 View Post
    How about an auction? Maybe take 5-10% or so of the tags and auction them off. Use the money to improve the herd.
    Suggestions on how to improve the herd? I'm not sure how money would help things out, as the bison herds are generally healthy.

Angry I am sick of it!

Ok! I will weigh in on this one:
    I do not know how many years (a bunch) I put in for the draw, but I successfully drew a tag and harvested a Bull in 2006. When I am eligible to put in again I will, but if not, thatís ok too. I have had my turn.
    It seems to me that many forum members want to blame (bash) guides and non-residents for all of Alaskaís problems. Frankly! It makes me sick of my stomach to hear people that are active and strong enough to pack a truck off a mountain, whine like a bunch of little babies!
    Having said that! I wish Alaska would establish a point system, that eventually rewards people that are persistent and consistently putting in for the draw. As many states currently do, the people that have donated the most get rewarded 1st, at least than people would eventually cycle up to their turn. Of course with the Delta Herd, you may have to live to be 100 J
    Louis

Default Money

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Suggestions on how to improve the herd? I'm not sure how money would help things out, as the bison herds are generally healthy.

There has got to be somewhere in this state they could start a new herd.

Quote Originally Posted by Anton74 View Post
    There has got to be somewhere in this state they could start a new herd.
    The caribou hills? Or...there seem to be lots of options in the interior. Not a bad idea, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    The caribou hills? Or...there seem to be lots of options in the interior. Not a bad idea, perhaps.
    It has been considered....

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...tes.hidetail=1

Default Kodiak Island

Has a private herd that is free ranging, Like the lower 48, all you have to do is pay the money and a hunting you will go! I would rather see the state focus on our sheep population and other Alaska Resident Animals :-)
    I find it quite funny that the discussion about a nonresident animal would generate so many bias comments aganist nonresidents

Talking Let's Eat!

Quote Originally Posted by cusackla View Post
    Has a private herd that is free ranging, Like the lower 48, all you have to do is pay the money and a hunting you will go! I would rather see the state focus on our sheep population and other Alaska Resident Animals :-)
    I find it quite funny that the discussion about a nonresident animal would generate so many bias comments aganist nonresidents
    I believe the wood bison is native to Alaska, having only recently disappeared. They also don't compete with other Alaskan ungulates for food.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/index...me.restoration

Good points about Kodiak though. A good opportunity, particularly for the archer or traditional hunter, to be very selective and enjoy a quality experience, as well as fill up a couple freezers with hump ribs and steaks.
    Put the hunt in Pasagshak or Saltry on the tag end of a deer/duck/halibut/king combo, and you got enough protein to keep an Extended family grinnin' all winter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast