Thread: Whats your case trimmer?

Default Whats your case trimmer?

I have an old Lyman case trimmer thats got a couple problems, so rather than fix it and still have a sub par trimmer I'll work a couple hours of O.T. and purchase a new one.

Redding: I like the Redding with micrometer adjustment for its ability to hold pretty much any case without having to buy new collets. It also comes with two primer pocket cleaners, and an assortment of neck pilots. IIRC Sinclair sells the micrometer adjustable Redding for about 140 dollars. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...dexId=cat20849

Wilson/Sinclair: I like this trimmer as it should provide much longer service life by design and better alignment of the case and trimmer as well as greater rigidity. The only downside I can see is the limited availability of collets and the fact that you have to buy a new collet every time you get a new cartridge. (They are cheap but shipping to AK means I'll have to spend another hundred or so to make shipping worthwhile right?! ) Sinclair sells this trimmer for $140 but after buying a few collets the price goes up substantially. http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/...470&type=store
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Mine is a older RCBS trimmer.......I have never had a problem with it, plus pilots and cutting blades are easy and readily availible pretty much any where you go.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I got myself a Forster many long years ago,and never felt like I needed anything else.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Thumbs up Hornady

I still use my old RCBS but the Hornady Case Trimmer is the best one I have seen!
    Alaska

Default Rcbs

I use the newer RCBS with the flat plate shell holder instead of the collets. Its pretty good, but I think there are better units out there.

Woody

Default RCBS...powered trimmer

A year or so ago I switched over to a powered trimmer by RCBS, and it has sure made case preparation less of a chore...I also think I end up doing better case prep in the long run. I was well worth the money.

I went from the RCBS Trim Pro to the Wilson/Sinclair Mic Trimmer. It is absolutely the best-abit spendy but I am very pleased.

The wilson/sinclair doesn't use a neck pilot right?

Thats the part of the equation that I want to eliminate. From what I can tell by looking at the pictures the design of the wilson trimmer should provide the most accurate trimming of any of the trimmers I have looked at so far. Concentricity of the neck, and pilot diameter will have no effect of the perpendicularity or axial runout of the mouth.

Does any of this matter for the handloading I do? Not really. If it doesn't matter then why do I care? Well... If you had ever seen my...
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have a few of the Forster "hand crank" trimmers. Every time I run accross one at a gun show I buy it (havent yet spent more than $20) so that I pretty much have one for each caliber / case and never have to re-adjust or change pilots etc. Not exactly what you would call an efficient or space saving answer to case trimming, but it is fast and easy.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

I have a Wilson and have been using it for the past 35 years. Works well. But, you need their case holders. I have holders for mag, '06, 7X57, 22-250 and 223. These cover a very wide range of calibers and all that I load for. It would be simpler to use a Forster and get the pilots. But the Wilson is what I have and it works well for me. J.

I found that the collet type case trimmers were BS. I noticed my 44 cases were of different lengths after trimming. The problem was head sizes are not that uniform. So as the collet grabs a case it may not be at the same point as the one before. Try it in your collet trimmer. The New RCBS trimmer uses a shell holder that could care less the size of the case head= consistent case lengths. To me the pistol lengths are not that big of a deal, however rifle case is when reloading.
    Jim

www.ch4d.com Best trimmer out there.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...