Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Packing

Default Packing

I'm going on a float hunt in 09. I know it's a long ways off but I need to start preparing now. I need to know how to pack. I've just taken large duffel bags in the past when I've bear hunted in canada, but those werent camping trips. My outfitter rents dry bags. Do I buy waterproof large duffel bags? Rent his Dry bags? any suggestions?

How many times are going to be float hunting ? I say rent his bags and don't worry about it unless you can buy them cheaper or you plan to go a lot. Dry Bags can be found cheap on the net. Campor, Sierratradingpost, eBay, REI Outlet, etc.

So I should pack my normal duffel bags and the repack into dry bags when I get there.

Or just put your bags inside the dry bags. Simple and easy.

Default Dry Bags

Dry bag everything. Every float hunt I have ever been on has been wet, wet, wet. Or wet and bloody. Put it all in dry bags, keeps it dry and blood free. Your meat will leach blood on anything under it. Plus if it gets knocked into the water it will be dry and it will float. Plus wear waders or hip boats. Don't forget to wear a belt if you go the wader route.

Steve

Default Vote for waders

I have to agree with Steve but I wouldn't wear hip boots. The waders will keep you dry in places that will be soaked while wearing hip boots (assuming you hunt in them - which I do). I currently wear neoprene waders but if you check the archives there is a lot said about breatheable waders. Probably my next set of waders will be breatheable.

Thanks for the advise. My next question would be about the best way to shop for food and what food to shop for. My outfitter said to send it to kotz about 8 weeks before I get there. I'm not sure what to send I've never shopped for freeze dried, Etc.

you have receivee great advice about the dry bags. Everything needs to go into the bags because you will get wet from a variety of sources, rain,
    splashes, getting in and out, etc.
    Mountain House is the way to go, easy to prepare, light weight. Supplement it with other dry foods like cup of soup, some prepackaged dinners where you just add water and heat, that type of thing. A little variety is good. You will be expending a lot of energy so get high energy foods for snacks and to keep you going.

Default Food

Buy a Moutain House Dinner for each person for every day plus some extra just in case you spend extra time in the field.

Default Chow

Water purification sysyem (hand pump model)
    jet boil stove
    Ramen noodles
    vienna sausages
    hot sauce

Shopping complete

Talking No Need for stove fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo 2 1/75 View Post
    jet boil stove
    Ramen noodles
    vienna sausages
    hot sauce

Shopping complete
    Bravo:

Vienna sausages and hot sauce?? with that combination there is little need for fuel for the jet boil stove, but definitely a need for a second tent! Mountain House is a good choice for freeze dried food, be sure to pack along some of their desserts for extra flavor.

vienna sausages???? you don't need that! I don't understand how some of you guys can't leave the house with out taking it with you... If I ever run into you in the woods I will say hi. Should be easy enough to spot you hiking with the kitchen sink on your back...

Default Lipton

Sides. We use a lot of them. Big appetites can do in one package. Two packages is usually adequate for 3 guys. Lots cheaper than Mountain House.

Instant coffee, tea, & hot chocolate. All come in individual serving sizes.

Individual packages of oatmeal for breakfast. Two or three per person. Lots of energy/granola bars. For me - lots of chocolate.

Everything repackaged in 1 gallon ziploc baggies and put in dry bags. After use, the ziplocs come in mighty handy.

Default Kitchen Sink?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    vienna sausages???? you don't need that! I don't understand how some of you guys can't leave the house with out taking it with you... If I ever run into you in the woods I will say hi. Should be easy enough to spot you hiking with the kitchen sink on your back...

A kitchen sink? What are you talking about?
    Ramen and vienna with a small stove is extremely lightweight, small and requires very little preparation and is very filling (and very cheap I might add). Lets you spend more money and time on much more important stuff. When moving / hunting all day I personally like to eat quick and easy. Also this guy was talking about a float trip.

Protein - Carbs and go

Curious to see your menu

Man vs Wild style?

jet boil stove
    Ramen noodles
    vienna sausages
    hot sauce

Shopping complete
    If I took vienna sausages I wouldn't have room for my pickled pigs feet!

kingfisherktn

get an nrs bills bag
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default zip lock everthing

Everything repackaged in 1 gallon ziploc baggies and put in dry bags. After use, the ziplocs come in mighty handy.[/QUOTE]

ziplocking gear and food is one of the best ways to keep things dry,when packing i will put a days worth of clothing-shirt,socks,underwear,longjohns in a zippie and force as much air out as possible, this gives the water proofing and compacts the packing,then all is packed in to large garbage bag and again forceing all air out for compacting.i always try to double.then into a wet bag.i would not count on the outfitters dry bag to be total water proof unless unless new.one will find mailing stuff ahead of time is cheaper through the post office.

Quote Originally Posted by AKHUNTINFOOL View Post
    Buy a Moutain House Dinner for each person for every day plus some extra just in case you spend extra time in the field.
    Keep in mind that "Feeds four" is another way of saying "feeds one, or 1/2 of a person if the person in question is me when I am hunting"

Default packing

vacuum packing some of your gear works pretty well also. Keeps it dry and saves space too. I particularly like it for things like spare clothes, emergency gear, and meat bags. (Clean dry underware on day 10 - priceless!)

jet boil stove
    Ramen noodles
    vienna sausages
    hot sauce

Shopping complete
    That reminds mel; Tums or Rolaids

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast