Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak deer Hunting trip

Default Kodiak deer Hunting trip

Several people have messaged me concerning my trip to Kodiak for blacktails so I will post the results here.
    Son and I recently spent 9 days hunting on Uyak bay. After reading all the reports about last winters kill off we were very worried we were making a mistake even in going.
    We flew into Kodiak via ERA Nov 19th. Sea Hawk air picked up us and took us shopping and we were the first one's out for the day. We landed at our usual spot and immediately spotted 4 deer on the beach. This was the first time in 4 trips to this area we seen deer on the beach so this was a good sign.
    First day was spent setting up camp (Arctic Oven) and cutting a better trail thru the alders to assist us in our hikes out of camp everyday. A quick trip in back of camp and we glassed about 15 deer up high with 4 being really nice bucks.
    First day out we shot a nice 3x3. We had climbed so high we could see water on both sides of us.
    Then the weather changed, it rained, all the snow melted, and it blew, and it blew and it blew harder. One day we could not even depart camp it was so bad. If you think the Arctic Oven can not withstand high winds you are incorrect. We never once felt like our tent was in danger of being ripped or flipped.
    After a few days we were up to 2 deer each and then we each held off waiting for the "big one" that never came. Since all the snow had melted we concentrated on hunting the thickets close to the beach and when stalking conditions were good we managed to sneak up on a few.
    I did see one huge brownie coming off the gut pile of the first deer we shot but other than that no problems with bears at all.
    Deer numbers are down but not to the point where anyone who wanted to hunt could not take three easily.
    Tenderloins were eaten in camp, son and I spent 9 uninterrupted days together (priceless as the older they become the less we see of them) and we spent a day plinking .22's.
    We were scheduled for a 3 pm pickup so we woke up about 9 am. Then we heard a plane outside and Roland was circling the camp! He landed and I asked what was up. His answer was we either pack up and leave now or we don't get out for another three days due to some serious weather coming in. He helped us pack and we were out of there in 90 minutes.
    I have finally earned my lesson and will never again go deer hunting without a Sat Phone.
    I am still drying out a ton of gear!

Some suggestions if you are planning on doing this:

Take a Sat Phone to communicate with your air charter
    Air freight your gear to Kodiak via Alaska Airlines in advance and coming back. It is much cheaper than than trying to check it many extra bags the day of the flight. We shipped about 300 pounds down and it cost approximately $200 and we shipped 338 back and it cost $114. It is cheaper to ship back to Anchorage than from it.
    You do not have to ship food in advance, just buy what you will eat in Kodiak.
    Don't be cheap on weight! Sea Hawk charges by the pound and they have a under 800 and under 1,200 pound weight price.
    We went heavy and took a few luxuries and were at about 1,000 (including our weights).
    Tennessee

Your experience on Kodiak this year was similar to mine. We were out for about a week one week before you were and were a little farther to the south. My partner and I killed four nice bucks and saw plenty of others including a couple of real brutes that we couldn't get a shot at. Not many young deer around where we were at and no bear problems either. We had a reindeer in the bag too, but my partner missed a close shot at a nice bull. We had a lot of meat hanging and a bear in the meat cache would have been really unpleasant. I can't emphasize enough the importance of a good tent and raingear on Kodiak as well as the good job Seahawk has always done for me.

Default Kodiak deet hunt

Congrats on the good hunt. I was in that area in May and shot my bear. Also used Seahawk and you are right about the service. I will always try to use Roland. We had a Sat phone so we were in touch with him and didn't get surprised. To have an air service come in early and actually help break camp has got to be very unusual. I think allot would tell you to get your S* together and I will be back to get you in an hour or two.

Bullwinkle

Our group got back last Wednesday from Rolling Point Cabin on Viekoda Bay. We put in on the Friday morning after Thanksgiving. Andrew Airways did a great job as ususal.

We didn't see anything! Nothing! Well, except for our little seal friend that hung out in front of our cabin most days. We did get pelted by a storm for 2 days (Snowwolfe I'm guessing based on the dates you gave its the same one that hit you). Man was it something! The wind was pushing rain through the tiny nailholes in the side of the cabin! We had to put a leather belt on the door and man it with 2 guys just to open it for a second to let one of the other guys out! We came up with this plan after one of our guys decided to head to the bathroom (outhouse with no door) and when he opened the door it took him for a Nantucket slayride clear of the front porch of the cabin and into the grass. We all thought the door was gone, but somehow it stayed on the hinges. We got it on video, pretty funny now that we are back. However the stove did fine. That cabin has a good one. Last year on Afognak (Blue Fox Bay) we couldn't keep the stove going in 40 mph winds and froze our rears off.

We did have a lot of fun. It's always nice to get out of Anchorage for a few days.

Question

When you hunt on Kodiak do you get your meat processed on the island, then shipped back, or do you take it back in quarters?

Quote Originally Posted by mclalaska View Post
    Our group got back last Wednesday from Rolling Point Cabin on Viekoda Bay.
    From what we heard any of the areas as far north as Uganik and Viekoda were not producing well at all.

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    When you hunt on Kodiak do you get your meat processed on the island, then shipped back, or do you take it back in quarters?
    We bone the deer out where they are shot, hang it up in the trees till we get back to Kodiak and then air freight it back to Anchorage along with the reminder of the gear.

Mclalaska, That is why we quit hunting around cabins. Deer learn very quickly and most of them move at least 3-5 miles away. Try tenting it next time and you will be more successful.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    We quarter our deer in the field (as well as pretty much all of our other big game) rather than bone it out and have it processed off the island. There are not any good meat processors on Kodiak.

I agree with Chisana. My friend works in Kodiak has has already been out on a successful deer hunt. He NEVER get his kill processed in Kodiak.

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info I will follow your advise

"Mclalaska, That is why we quit hunting around cabins. Deer learn very quickly and most of them move at least 3-5 miles away. Try tenting it next time and you will be more successful."

Profound wisdom. The deer aren't all stupid. The stupid ones died with the first party or two in a cabin. The smart ones vacated a long time before.

Same on the Kodiak road system. Many of the guys who didn't get their deer were hunting later in the season on ATVs. By then the smarter deer had mostly moved far from the sound of ATVs and concentration of hunter activity they brought. Stay far from the ATV trails and you could still do pretty well on deer.

Probably the same process for any species of animal anywhere you hunt. Hunting pressure = less or smarter game.

biggest bucks i've ever seen on kodiak i saw on the south road system, got a shed near a 4 wheeler trail that if symetical would score 125", just goes to show that big deer ain't dumb, i'd almost bet if you had a buddy drive the 4 wheeler trails then walked along behind him about 30 mintues you'd find deer walking back on the trail...they know atv sounds for sure.
    East side of the island where i guide, i only found three winter kill deer and deer numbers overall were great, same as the last three years, with better bucks being taken this year.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    biggest bucks i've ever seen on kodiak i saw on the south road system, got a shed near a 4 wheeler trail that if symetical would score 125", just goes to show that big deer ain't dumb, i'd almost bet if you had a buddy drive the 4 wheeler trails then walked along behind him about 30 mintues you'd find deer walking back on the trail...they know atv sounds for sure.
    East side of the island where i guide, i only found three winter kill deer and deer numbers overall were great, same as the last three years, with better bucks being taken this year.

I will have to agree . There are some big bucks on the east side of the Island .

RR

Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Hey Thats The Shed I Found!!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default hunt

We hunted the Uganik area the end of Nov for 5 days. It ended up being more like 1/2 of a sheep hunt, as we climbed about 1000 ft every day to get to the deer. We did lots of walking, boating and glassing and only saw 9 or 10 deer. Took only 2 deer, one being a real nice buck. Could have had a couple more. Saw a couple brownies, one that came in on a kill. Good time, but will not hunt this area again for a couple years. Snow would have definitely helped. The old bucks are smarter than people give them credit for.

Default Really Lucky

The first buck in the grass was a 4X3 I shot last week while it was blowing 30. I just happened upon him while trying to get out of the wind. In the picture you can't really tell but he dressed out just over 200 lbs. Once I get the pictures of him hanging I will post those.

The second deer in the snow was shot the last day of road system bow Nov 14th. He's not as big but still a nice 3x3.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow Kodiak has some big bodied deer!
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Yes monkey, Kodiak does have rather large bodied deer. Here's one from last month.

Chisana, beautiful deer. That thing's neck is huge (antlers too) was it rutting? when do they rut there?

Thanks Moose-Head. I thought that one was a pretty nice looking buck too. That buck was killed on November 7. I would say that given year to year variations mid November is a good bet for the rut. We hunted between November 5 and November 11 and I would say that many of the bucks but not all appeared to be showing some rut type behavior. Here's another buck from the same trip and a nice rub on an alder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast