Thread: BOG Proposal 40

Default BOG Proposal 40

This will allow the taking of cub bears and female bears with cubs in predator management areas and in area where the annual limit is 3 or more.

Bottom line is bear are having a bigger impact on our moose population than wolves. We need to do something and this might be a start.

I agree with this Proposal.

Default Me 2

look at the tacks in low moose area's, wolf or bear!

As long as the sow and cubs do not excede the bag limit, go for it. As some females have up to 3-4 cubs it could cause some sows with cubs to be off limits. I do not know if two hunters could split one sow and cubs with this rule, but it needs to be addressed so that there are not orphan cubs left out there to die. Biologicaly taking females will have a larger efect on the population than taking males.

Thumbs down

this issue was discussed at length on this and other forums, and iirc the consensus was that although many were in favor of it, few would shoot a cub themselves.
    in addition, F&G has found that in areas where bear bag limts have been liberalized it has resulted in very little, if any, additional take.
    in other words, hunters are ALREADY killing as many bears as they want to.... (or are capable of)
    what a proposal like this will do, if passed, is generate some great fodder for anti hunting headlines.
    i oppose this proposal as it will do hunters more harm than good
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Gotta say I agree with you Dave...I myself could never take a cub, nor do I think it would be great PR for us either...

I wouldn't be happy about it but I would kill cubs for the best intrest of the ungulates in an area. Not excited about shooting wolves from a plane but would do that. Didn't really want to go to Iraq but well you get the point.

committing arson might be a better use of time than shooting baby bears if increasing ungulate populations is the concern.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I don't see where burning baby bears is a better option...

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    this issue was discussed at length on this and other forums, and iirc the consensus was that although many were in favor of it, few would shoot a cub themselves.
    in addition, F&G has found that in areas where bear bag limts have been liberalized it has resulted in very little, if any, additional take.
    in other words, hunters are ALREADY killing as many bears as they want to.... (or are capable of)
    what a proposal like this will do, if passed, is generate some great fodder for anti hunting headlines.
    i oppose this proposal as it will do hunters more harm than good
    Dave, I think you pissed in everyone's Wheaties on this one , but you're right! Ain't worth the bad press, plus I don't think I'd shoot a cub either.

Tim

Predator control only works by the killing of sows and cubs, not by going out and killing large boars that kill cubs anyways.

What if we stopped eating moose for a year, and ate black bear instead?