Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BOG proposal 30

Default BOG proposal 30

This proposal wants to establish special hunts for disabled veterans.

I spent 17 years in the military and am currently married to active duty USAF wife. My father and his and his and his, you get the point all served.

I am against this one, only because it would be too easy for someone to take advantage of this provision. I know a lot of vets that have some sort of disability that can out hunt me. I believe one can get 100% disability if the have hysterectomy. I just believe this would be misused.

Sorry

Default Proposal 30

Any law can be abused, If this proposal allows Those that can no longer get into the field to hunt, then I'm all for it. If others that qualify chose to take advantage of this then shame on them. I'm a disabled Vet and I for one do not have the mobility that I once had. I believe this could be a great thing if it is done with some thought and foresight. I moose hunted with my dear friend who was shot in the face while serving in Iraq. He is not the man he once was and the limitations he was forced to face while on this hunt has since kept him from returning to the field. With only one eye and ear he has little depth perception and cannot tell in what direction sounds are coming from, creek crossing proved to be a challenge as well. Almost all laws can be abused, but I feel that this one has merits and can be tweaked to accomplish something great. If this allows access for hunting to those who those who have given so much, then I support it. I have written a letter of support to BOG as well.

Steve

1SG US Army Retired

Default Should be sorry

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    This proposal wants to establish special hunts for disabled veterans.

I spent 17 years in the military and am currently married to active duty USAF wife. My father and his and his and his, you get the point all served.

I am against this one, only because it would be too easy for someone to take advantage of this provision. I know a lot of vets that have some sort of disability that can out hunt me. I believe one can get 100% disability if the have hysterectomy. I just believe this would be misused.

Sorry
    Sir,
    Have to agree with Stid on this one. Every law or right, or privilege on the books can be broken by unethical hunters. I like to think that the majority of disabled veterans are awesome Americans. We should think that they will obey the law and proceed from there.
    I think the soldiers that would abuse a law designed to encourage better opportunities for wounded / disable vets are bottom feeders.
    Last edited by Bravo 2 1/75; 12-05-2007 at 10:20. Reason: spelling

Default I support it as well

I am also a disabled vet, and though I can currently do some hunting, and I will push hard to test myself and try to hunt, I am severely limited in what I can do anymore. I also have to spend an average of two days in bed for every day i spend Hunting Just from A boat or snowmobile. ) about all I can do these days). While I probably wouldn't use it now, I don't have many years left of being able to hunt left. Unless I have someone willing to help alot more than their share. I also know several vets who can do alot less than me, but want to get out and hunt very badly. Yes there will be some who abuse it, but there are always some who will abuse any privilage, but if we punish everyone everytime someone abuses a privilage, then none of us would ever have any rights, or privilages at all. Also It is much harder then you think to get, and keep a rating from the VA, yes there is some abuse and dishonesty, but there is much more from the VA themselves, especially now, the fact is most of our newly disabled vets will be in for a very rough time once the attention brought by this war fades, and if there is something the state of alaska can do to ease the burden, then I am all for it. Alaska is a great state, and does much more for disabled vets then most states. This would simply be one more reason we live in the best state in america, Not perfect but pretty @$%& good if you ask me.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tv321 View Post
    ....I am against this one, only because it would be too easy for someone to take advantage of this provision. I know a lot of vets that have some sort of disability that can out hunt me. I believe one can get 100% disability if the have hysterectomy. I just believe this would be misused.

Sorry
    No need to be sorry. I'm with you.

I'm against "special" people, period. It's getting to be like a Soviet train station; one ticket booth for active duty military, one ticket booth for military veterans, another ticket booth for party members, another ticket booth for disabled, ......................................

Default No Way!

My father was disabled WWII, he never asked for any special hunt! If you were drafted OK maybe as long as it wouldn't be abused, volunteer-NO WAY!

I've shoveled snow in alaska for 30 years I want a special tag!

Holey Moley Steve:

You must have been a hunting fool before you lost your mobility, your successes now are quite impressive. Pure guts and determination!

kingfisherktn

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Any law can be abused, If this proposal allows Those that can no longer get into the field to hunt, then I'm all for it. If others that qualify chose to take advantage of this then shame on them. I'm a disabled Vet and I for one do not have the mobility that I once had. I believe this could be a great thing if it is done with some thought and foresight. I moose hunted with my dear friend who was shot in the face while serving in Iraq. He is not the man he once was and the limitations he was forced to face while on this hunt has since kept him from returning to the field. With only one eye and ear he has little depth perception and cannot tell in what direction sounds are coming from, creek crossing proved to be a challenge as well. Almost all laws can be abused, but I feel that this one has merits and can be tweaked to accomplish something great. If this allows access for hunting to those who those who have given so much, then I support it. I have written a letter of support to BOG as well.

Steve

1SG US Army Retired

Default Question

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I'm against "special" people, period. It's getting to be like a Soviet train station; one ticket booth for active duty military, one ticket booth for military veterans, another ticket booth for party members, another ticket booth for disabled, ......................................
    Mark,
    Have you ever served? In a combat zone? Have you ever had a personal conversation with a wounded war veteran? If you haven't I suggest you do and I'll be surprised if you don't change your mind
    Last edited by Bravo 2 1/75; 12-05-2007 at 11:02. Reason: spelling

Default not for it

and heres why, I think its a great idea, in therory. I dont agree with a blanket all 100% disabled Vets being lumped together, not all 100% Disabled vets need special considerations. There are plenty of 100% vets that can do anything and everything needed to hunt and fish. That is because the military gives an accumlative percentage, ie 10% hearing, 50% back, 20% knees, 20% elbow, this all adds up to 100%. Im a prime example, but can do all the hunting and fishing I want, Im in pain the whole time but can do it.

Do we let someone use a helicopter because the cant climb to get to sheep and goats, do we allow them to use atv's in controlled use areas because they cant walk? Prop 30 is too vage, needs more details on the what and hows.

Those truely 100% disabled for one thing such as missing appendages, eyes and so on should be given this consideration, deservingly so.

Default I understand

Quote Originally Posted by alaskalouie View Post
    My father was disabled WWII, he never asked for any special hunt! If you were drafted OK maybe as long as it wouldn't be abused, volunteer-NO WAY!

I've shoveled snow in alaska for 30 years I want a special tag!
    If the only way you have ever served your county is by lining your pockets, I'm not surprised you don't agree. Come over and talk to some of the soldiers in the Warrior Transition Unit.
    Last edited by Bravo 2 1/75; 12-05-2007 at 11:05. Reason: addition

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo 2 1/75 View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark

Mark,
    Have you ever served?.....
    Yup.

....In a combat zone?...
    Nope. And combat service has nothing to do with this proposal.

....Have you ever had a personal conversation with a wounded war veteran?....
    I performed a service for one the other day. In fact, he was in the newspaper. Lost an eye in Iraq.

....If you haven't I suggest you do and I'll be surprised if you don't change your mind
    I don't think I will.

I will admit that combat veterans, and especially those who incurred disabilities for the rest of their lives, deserve the utmost respect, assistance, and gratitude that we can offer, but special hunting permits just don't do it for me.

Default Jumping off the dead horse

This is quote from Mark "I will admit that combat veterans, and especially those who incurred disabilities for the rest of their lives, deserve the utmost respect, assistance, and gratitude that we can offer, but special hunting permits just don't do it for me.[/quote]

Mark,
    Above you state that disabled vets deserve "respect, assistance, and gratitude" Wouldn't a carefully worded, thoughtful change to the hunting regs fit the bill?
    While serving at FT Benning I had the opportunity to be involved in a program where we took disabled veterans into a specially constructed mobile hunting stand and got them back into the woods. The stand overlooked a planted field that was reserved especially for these hunters. At first I was against it, then I had the opportunity to talk to a fine gentlemen who took part, and the gratitude and enjoyment he expressed will remain with me forever.

Thanks for your service

Default Served

We are talking about 100% DISABLED Vets. Not all vets. I have served in Iraq and I know many there now and many who came back less than they once were. I am and they are proud of their sacrifice, for many their lives will never be the same. It is easy to say NO SOUP FOR YOU why don't you walk a mile in our combat boots while under fire, or the constant threat of it. I saw my friend who was a Ranger and a hero many times over come to be afraid to be out hunting alone because he could no longer see and hear well enough to protect himself from bears. Lest we be so quick to judge. Yea fisher, I was a machine in my day, but after 2 failed back operations I'm not what I used to be. I have had some great friends that have helped he with the heavy lifting. As long as I can pull 3.6 lbs with my trigger finger I will have something to live for.

Steve

Yea fisher, I was a machine in my day, but after 2 failed back operations I'm not what I used to be. I have had some great friends that have helped he with the heavy lifting. As long as I can pull 3.6 lbs with my trigger finger I will have something to live for.

Steve
    Keep pulling that trigger, we've all been enjoying the results.

kingfisherktn

Default Thanks

Oh by the way, those were some awesome deer you got this year. That one is going to make an incredible mount.

Support our wounded warriors!!!!

Steve

Oh by the way, those were some awesome deer you got this year. That one is going to make an incredible mount.

Support our wounded warriors!!!!

Steve
    Agreed on all three points.

kingfisherktn

I'm not sure how to feel about this issue. I really do appreciate our military folks and what they have given, but I also really appreciate a lot of public servants. The medics who save lives every day, the fire fighters who will be working over Christmas and will probably have to put out a house fire or two, the State Troopers who will be out looking for DUI's while my family celebrates Christmas with family, the list goes on.... A lot of firefighters, medics, LEO's have been disabled or killed in the line of duty too so when do they get their BOG proposal?

I'm not trying to belittle our military folks service, but where does the line get drawn and why?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I'm retired military myself and have several friends that are 50%-100% disabled and they get along in the field just fine. So with that being said, I would not support this proposal either. This is HUNTING and is not a matter of survival. If I were 100% disabled I would not support it either, I don't need anyone to show me any favoritism by giving me a disabled vet tag. You want to honor me for my service, display the American flag in front of your house.

Default Akhunter45

Well said, couldnt agree more

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo 2 1/75 View Post
    I will admit that combat veterans, and especially those who incurred disabilities for the rest of their lives, deserve the utmost respect, assistance, and gratitude that we can offer, but special hunting permits just don't do it for me.
    Mark,
    Above you state that disabled vets deserve "respect, assistance, and gratitude" Wouldn't a carefully worded, thoughtful change to the hunting regs fit the bill?....
    Yup, but the principle should be the same for any and all disabled Americans, which is what such a change will likely end up being.

And the legal definition of "disabled" (especially for folks who can't discern the meaning of the word "is") would grow, too.

IMO, that's the problem with such well-meaning regulations. Like others have pointed out, they get abused/changed/grown/altered/etc.

Vets, especially combat vets, deserve the best. I'm just leery of all entitlements. I guess that's from a lifetime of seeing them abused by society.

.....Thanks for your service
    And thanks for yours!

I hope you're not a "client" in the Warriors in Transition Unit............

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast