Thread: BOG proposals 14 thru 20

Default BOG proposals 14 thru 20

These all deal with going to a point system.

I am not for it, unless it targets the non-resident. This should be the last resort for us residents. Going to a point system means we are a draw state and I am not for it. If we allow a point system then the majority of our hunts will become a draw.

Just think how much more money would be raised for Commercial Fish and Fish if we went to an all draw state.

I do not want a draw points system. It is stated in a couple of these proposals that points do not help your chances in a highly coveted draw such as Bison or 14C ram. All it will do is make it more costly and more difficult to get a tag.

Default Bonus points

A bonus point system could definitely benefit our state. An enormous amount of revenue can be generated if implemented correctly. I put in for bighorn and desert sheep in every state that offers the tag in the lower 48. Often you have to purchase the hunting license for 100 plus dollars to keep your bonus point every year (like Arizona), AND purchase the bonus point as well. Alaska has the cheapest, easiest, application process of any state, at 5 dollars per choice; I would be surprised if it even paid for itself each year. The biggest advantage is simply the increased odds of drawing for those of us who are diligent. We don't have to re-invent the wheel, look at the successful programs around the western states, (Nevada, Arizona, Utah, Montana, and Colorado.) Many states require non-residents send the whole tag fee in to be eligible for the draw, then refund minus the application fee (which varies from 10's to 100's of dollars.) And in virtually every case, the cost for a non-resident to purchase a point itself is 2-4 times what it is for residents. Not to mention that this state has the cheapest non-res tags of any state other than Idaho. I am not saying that any of the propositions are the ones we adopt, but I certainly hope that the F and G will start researching bonus points. This does not mean that we are a draw state, it simply means that our F and G and applicants will finally benefit from the drawing process. And remember, in all cases the bonus point system is voluntary.

Default point system

I feel the state should go to a point system for draw hunts. You see it time and time again where individuals draw the same hard to get hunt year after year.

Kansas has/had a good point system for pronghorn. Every year you apply for a hunt in a specific area you gain 1 point for that hunt, and when you are drawn for that area your points go back to zero and you start all over again. So if you apply for a specific hunt for 5 years you gain 5 points and so on until your drawn.

I do not think individuals should be allowed to purchase bonus points, or they could do that for non-residents.

Default I'm for it

As long as the out of staters are limited to 10% or less of the tags. I have been lucky over the years in the draw I feel my resident friends should have a chance.

Ok lets charge every non-res. hunter a full tag fee each time they apply for a hunt and we can still make the money without a points system. How can a system be more fair than a random draw? If you dont like going years without a tag put in for tags with a higher draw rate.

All I am going to say is the only fair and equitable way to distribute permits is to keep the system the way it is.

Points are Preferential treatment - people that want a pref points system are probably the same people that compain about TIER2 being allocated the way it is...which is just another form of Preference Points after you boil it all down to its simplest form

Time to start yet a new Club

AAPPS
    Alaskans Against a Preference Points System

Scott
    AAPPS Member

Default I would agree

I would agree this would bring in big money for our state. Much needed money.

What would they do with this extra money? I disagree with the way the Department of Commercial Fish and Fish has been run over the last 10+ years.

Let me ask you this. You have a cattle ranch with 1000 head of cattle and you have to leave for ten years (it doesnít matter the reason). You hire a cattle management group to take care of your resource for the next ten years.

Question: How many cattle would you expect to have when you returned?

More, Same or Less? Remember you left your cattle with trained, highly paid group. Would you be happy to find only had 400 head of cattle?

This is what the Department of Commercial Fish and Fish has done to OUR moose population. We had over 300,000 moose in the 70ís. Today this department is happy that the moose population has remained steady at 140,000 for the last ten years. I am not happy about this and neither should you.

So until the Department of Commercial Fish & Fish proves that they have a desire to work on GAME issues, I have a hard time wanting supporting proposals to them to have more $$$ to spend on the majority NON RESIDENT Commercial fishing industry.

Default good stuff

this will benefit the people who apply every year. Alaska is different in the regard that many applicants are transient in nature, i.e. the military. Many military members will not apply after they are transferred from here. I think the draw odds will increase for the lifelong Alaskans--I say go for it!

I guess random drawing just isn't fair??? Please mathematically explain how our current system is somehow unfair...

Don't non residents have to hold a $130 non res hunting liscense to even be considered in the draw?

There are plenty of places to hunt everything but bison in this state under a general season tag... I find it pretty unnecessary to try to reward people for applying... In the end you will get 50% heads and 50% tails when you flip a coin an infinate number of times, therefore if killing a bison is really that important to you go kill one on kodiak, it'll probably be cheaper... Otherwise keep playing the odds and quit whining.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I agree with AKPM on this one. How is anything MORE FAIR than a RANDOM DRAW? I don't get it; plus bonus points? I guess I need to read 14-20 more closely. Its time to consider limiting non-res to a specific % of permits to slow down the guides hostile takeover of OUR resources.

I'm sorry, but a lot of the bs I see in the proposals are from a non-res guide; is that an oxy-moron or what?

Tim