Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying Rifle on Snowmachine

Default Carrying Rifle on Snowmachine

Hi guys,

I need some help. I've got a new Savage .17HMR that I will be carrying with me while riding my snowmachine to blow the little heads off ptarmigan and such.

I'm looking for different ideas and products to carry or mount this rifle to my snowmachine.

I've got one friend who just puts his sling across his chest and carries his rifle on his back the entire time he is riding. That works but there must be a more comfortable solution. I've looked at the Eberlestock website to check out there backpacks.

Interested in any and all ideas.

Thanks

If you have a rear rack, the gunboot III works well. I'm not sure about the newer gunboots since they have much more complicated/bulky mounting systems.

Mount the gunboot forward so the muzzle is pointed downward and just touching the footrest. Make sure you have enough foot room though.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    If you have a rear rack, the gunboot III works well. I'm not sure about the newer gunboots since they have much more complicated/bulky mounting systems.
    I did a search on the internet and it looks like unfortunately the gunboot III isn't available anymore. I might find one used though. http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/sto...ies/6/products

I carry my firearms. Just think of the beating your firearm takes from being mounted solidly on the snogo.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I use a gunboot III attached to the rear rack as AKmud mentioned. I am a lousy enough rider that falling off is not only possible, but rather likely, so I prefer not to have the rifle slung on my back
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The eberlestock packs were great for me. I got the smaller X-1. Holds the gun nice, easy to draw, and its kept out of the elements. Its fine to ride with too. The barrel wont bother you a bit.

Question

Eberlestock packs? I've not heard of them...could you elaborate please? It sounds interesting.

THanks

I just mount mine on my sled with a couple bungies attached to each footrest. Yes it mounts directly on my machine, and this is with my .22wmr. and mini-14.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Eberlestock packs? I've not heard of them...could you elaborate please? It sounds interesting.

THanks
    Here is a link to the MFG site. http://www.eberlestock.com/introduci...x__project.htm

They have these packs at sportsmans so you can see one for yourself.

Now these new ones have a longer scabbard than the old style wich is what I have. But I still dont thing the scabbard will bother you while riding.

Another trick, is to use the bow holding compartment for your snowshoes. It holds them in there good.

Default looks good

This is a problem I have been trying to solve myself. The X1 look pretty good Ill have to go down and take a look at it. I know a few people just use a sling and wear it backwards (gun across the cheat). I think this works well for slow speeds but I'm a little worried about going too fast with my gun on my chest.

Default just fine

slinging the gun infront of your chest works well, the only complaint is that on pretty bumpy trails it can work down and bang on your wrist or hit your kill switch. Works well for me 95% of the time.

I have yet to find a satisfactory carry system for snowmachine. If on the back, the sling keeper will loosen so the scope and rifle eventually start banging around on the side of the tunnel, and the triggerguard beats a hole in my spine. If carried across the chest the barrel beats the hell out of my wrists and does get caught up in the handlebars.

That buttbucket on the backpack will have the rifle resting on the snowmachine seat, and if you sit far back, the hump at the rear of the seat will make the pack and rifle barrel tilt forward and smack you in the back of the head every little bump. Plus, you'll get smacked on the side of the face every time you try to turn around.

I wonder how it would work when dressed for cold weather. I would not be able to reach over my back and grab the rifle to pull it forward, while finding and squeezing the little plastic buckle, my gloves are far too large for that, because I ride in cold weather.

There has to be a better way.

I have even taken my rifle and lain it across the seat, then rested my legs over it to keep it there. But it doesn't work for long 'cause it's just too rough on the trail.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Thanks Matt for posting the link for the pack...I have a Badlands day pack with a similar feature, but have not tried it while snowmachining...now you have me thinking about giving it a try this winter.

I'm with you guys about trying all sorts of ways to take a rifle along while snowmachining. I've found that it depends on what and where I ride, and what I'm hunting for. The gun boot system worked fine when I was riding (driving) big wide track sleds, but that was long ago for me. My friends and I are primarily into mountain riding and getting way back into it and on top of it, looking for ptarmies and other small game as we go.

The system that has performed real well for me given the riding we do is a stainless 10/22 that I reworked (shortened/legal Volquartson barrel, folding stock, velcro cover for the action and trigger that my wife made, duct tape on the muzzle and wide sling with quick release buckle) which I carry on my back and don't even know it's there. I also take along a cased Encore pistol in .223 that fits nicely in my tunnel bag...but really seldom use.

I've enjoyed hearing what other people do. I think all of us have spent lots of time thinking about this, staring at our sleds and trying to imagine where we can attach a rifle or two to it. Has anyone thought of a twin gun turret?

Well, I'm still here watching for the perfect solution, we ride some ROUGH trails. Anyone who has ridden Resurrection Pass Trail in February knows what I'm talking about. The people I ride with don't like to ride at a leisurely pace either. (as in bouncing rifle)

My new rifle is no light weight. It's the Savage 93R17 .17HMR with a stainless bull barrel and the big stock with the thumbhole in it. This thing is going to kill me bouncing on my back or front by a sling.

The pack is interesting, but sometimes I like to sit down for a little while.

I sure would like to see photos from anyone who is willing to post.

John

someone needs to come up with something that goes inside the cowling, and put the butt/grip in a position similiar to the recoil handle.

Default Gun Protection

The best way is a gun boot attached to the cowling. Some use leather scabbards that are used on horseback. I use a Michaels cordura two-piece case that is an update on the leather scabbard. I use D rings and straps and have both sides set up so I can go big and small at the same time. Quick and easy to get at. Very secure, the gun is completely protected, and I paid a lot of money for a suspension to absorb bumps so my spine doesn't have to be the shock absorber. and pretty quick since the stock is only a foot away from your hand. Some of us have been doing this for 20 years. It works well. I've tried the Koplin gun boots, the sling across the back or chest and No Thanks. Some of us have a better way.

I have seen the scabbard on the hood thing before. How does that work when riding in brush/willows?
    ..."Tolerance is the virtue of a man without convictions." - G.K. Chesterton

What do yout think, a couple of eybolts on each end and a couple of small bungees? Course if I took the mag off of it, i could just Hook it on the exhaust pipe like a hotdogger. Or just bungee it to the rack. The whole scabbard Idea just seems like a waste of time.

Wink

Looking good Matt...however, instead of eyebolts and bungees, I'm picturing "quick release" velcro tabs coming from your instrument panel.

I also think you're right about the scabbard being a waste of time...at SKS prices, it could be a throw away rifle...no need to protect it from Mother Nature...or better yet don't clean the cosmoline from a new one, just strap it on and go.

I personally haven't given up on the gun turret idea. One of those blue plastic 55 gallon barrels could be whittled into something that would fit over the cowling...and probably look pretty good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by aknome View Post
    The best way is a gun boot attached to the cowling. Some use leather scabbards that are used on horseback. I use a Michaels cordura two-piece case that is an update on the leather scabbard. I use D rings and straps and have both sides set up so I can go big and small at the same time. Quick and easy to get at. Very secure, the gun is completely protected, and I paid a lot of money for a suspension to absorb bumps so my spine doesn't have to be the shock absorber. and pretty quick since the stock is only a foot away from your hand.
    Man, I sure would like to see a picture of this!! So you just drill thru your cowling and attach hardware? The hardware doesn't rip out?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast