Thread: Aluminum skiff - 12'

Default Aluminum skiff - 12'

It's time to replace my 8' inflatable with something bigger and a bit more durable for landings at the light house (lots of sharp rocks, barnacles, etc.)

After much thought and a bit of measurement, I figure an AL skiff is the way to go, and now I need some advice and brand-name suggestions. Here's the catch: It's got to fit under my radar arch... at it's base, I've got almost 65" inches of clearance (beam), but at the top of the arch, I only have 55". Since most skiffs I'm finding have a beam in the 60"+ range, I'll have to do some careful measuring before I order anything. Example: I know a 57" beam will fit if it's not more than 29" deep because of the taper.

Here's where I need a bit of help. Can you guys (and gals) toss out the names of any aluminum boat builders you know of who make a 12' utility skiff? Other priorities include:
    - weight: I'd like it to weigh less than 300# with an 8-10 horse motor and 5 gallons of fuel.
    - I'd prefer welded vs. riveted, but the fit and overall size is more important.

Any help will, of course, be greatly appreciated.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Check with Willy's Marine. They have a brand (can't remember the name) that looks like an inflatable, but is aluminum. I think it's "Stabel Craft" or something like that. The look like they have a low profile, which may work good for your uses.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger01 View Post
    Check with Willy's Marine. They have a brand (can't remember the name) that looks like an inflatable, but is aluminum. I think it's "Stabel Craft" or something like that. The look like they have a low profile, which may work good for your uses.
    Already been to Willies. Problems I encountered: "StabiCraft" doesn't make a 12'; welds (and then fills with foam) the "pontoon" so it looks like a welded zodiac - limiting internal space/dimensions; and they weigh a ton. Nearly broke my 500# davit trying to lift Max's 14' Stabi this summer.

For some reason, Willie's only wanted to sell me a jon-boat. Nobody noticed the CrestLiners that are 56" beam... odd. Actually, the best suggestion to come out of Willies was to take the UAS welding class and make my own! A good idea, yes, but not quite what I had in mind from a dealership!

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thats willies for ya...Have you looked @ a small lund?

That was my original thought. The WC-12 (in the 2008 lineup) is the floorplan I want and (on paper) looks like it will fit. Does anyone in Juneau have one floating that they'd be willing to let me throw up on top of the Can Can to check fit?

Also, I'd like to explore all the options. I like the high raked bow on the Klamath line, so I'm brainstorming until Christmas... maybe another option is available?

-Case

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Thats willies for ya...Have you looked @ a small lund?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Case,

Looks like there is a Klamath dealer in Douglas: Tanner's Service Center
    P.O. Box 240-329
    Douglas, AK 99824
    907-364-2434

You can't go wrong with a Klamath. I had an 18 footer and loved it. From the specs, it looks like the 12 footer should fit with a little wiggle room to spare.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.