View Poll Results: Which premium bullet would u pick if you could only use one no matter what caliber?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barnes TSX

51 34.93%
  • Nosler partition

60 41.10%
  • Nosler accubond

11 7.53%
  • Hornady interbond

3 2.05%
  • Speer trophy bonded bear claw

2 1.37%
  • Swift A-frame

18 12.33%
  • Swift scirocos

0 0%
  • Nosler E-tip

0 0%
  • Federal fusion

0 0%
  • Speer grand slam

1 0.68%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which bullet...if you could only have 1

Default Which bullet...if you could only have 1

This is a question for the hunters in alaska. If you had to pick only one type of bullet to hunt all of the big game in the great state of alaska which would it be? I myself am partial to Barnes TSX but would like to see which is the most go to bullet commonly found in rifle magazines in alaska. This question/poll excludes any varmit, bird, coyotee, wolf hunting...Thanks.

Impossible to answer since I doubt any of us have enough hands on experience with all the different brands on all the animals we have a chance to harvest up here.
    Tennessee

Default Many good bullets...

This is a good subject.......an answer would need to be qualified...but still a good subject.

Caliber and velocity make the selection valid....the best bullet for the 300 Weatherby is not the best bullet for the 30-06. The best bullet for the 375 H&H is likely not the best for the 375 Ultra. The TSX is ideal at the highest velocity, the Partition is at its best at standard velocity. The A-frame could be the best choice across a broad range of velocities and energy levels.

My difficulties now as in the past come from the silly bullet not going where I want it to go.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Talking Barnes X

For what I hunt with (8mm-338mag and .458), my first choice is the Barnes X and second is Nosler Partition. I've shot a lot of different brands thru the years and the Barnes is the best I've personally used.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

With my 416Wby 350gr TSX, my 300Wby 180gr TSX, my 257-300Wby 100gr TSX.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

If this poll was posted before the TSX hit the market, my choice would have been the Partition or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw for all big game in AK. However, now that the TSX is an option, it's the clear choice for me.

Default Cup-N-Core?

I guess standard cup-n-cores dont count? Hornady Interlock? Speer Hot-Cor?

Default hedging my bet

I'm a fan of TSX's for big and or toothy things, but I have had excellent luck on sheep, deer etc with the 30 cal 165 grain Hornaday Interbonds at a much cheaper price.

Default "Across all calibers"

Given that it's supposed to work for everything from the 30-30 to the 30-378,
    from the 7x57 to the 7 STW,
    from the 338 Fed to the 340 Wby,

I went with the Nosler Partition.

It'll still expand at an impact velocity of 1700 fps.
    It won't explode at an impact velocity of 3300 fps.
    And it costs a whole heckuva lot less than the BearClaw or A-Frame.

Could you better tailor a bullet to a particular caliber? Sometimes. (And somebody will probably tell me there's no round nosed Partition for use in a levergun.) But "across all calibers" that would be my choice.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I voted for the Nosler Partition. Howsomever, whuch boolit I would choose depends on the cartridge.

If the cartridge is a Magnum, in the sense that the velocity is high, say 3000 fps, or thereabouts, I’d want a premium bullet of some kind. I wouldn’t use a light for caliber in such a magnum, but if I did, I’d be doubly sure I used a premium bullet.

For a non-magnum cartridge, in the sense that it isn’t a high velocity cartridge, I’d use a regular jacketed bullet.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default bullets

I would have put more options up but the poll only allows for 10 options. There are quite a few excellent bullet choices available to biggame hunters that I wasn't able to list for example the barnes MRX, or TTSX. Or how about winchester's XP3? I could go on and on with a list of good quality bullets but in the end I would still only be able to pick 10. By the way the partition is available for in-line tube fed magazines such as 30-30's. It is a good bullet and I am sure it will still be a good bullet 50 years from now and beyond. Thankyou all for posting and voting.

Dunno, anything to fit in a .223 like in sig. line, or .22-250.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I was so thoughly satisfied with the performance of the 270gr TSX bullet in my .375 H&H, I would enthusiastically try them in other calibers.

Default For the question...

I picked the partition....D*** good bullet. But I have shot and killed alot of kritters with Hornady over the years.

If I was to only shoot a few times a year I would have to say partition....But I don't. So value, capability and performance IMO goes to Hornady.

I also picked the Nosler Partition, i've been using them since '89 and they shoot quite well out of both my model 70's so I see no need to change. Yeah, I only have 2 rifles......

Whenever I have a chance to purchase ammunition in Anchorage, I usually buy factory ammo that have Nosler Partition bullets. The village store here in town usually stocks up on Remington PSP Core-lokt rifle ammunition. Just yesterday I bought the last 6 boxes of Federal 7mm-08 140 gr Nosler Partition for $26.00/bx, they were sitting on the store shelf for the past 10 years. Originally there were 10 boxes in the case, I bought the first 4 when it was opened. $26.00 @ the time was considered pretty spendy, now $26.00 is below wholesale. For all my family's rifles whenever I have a choice I buy Noslers. When the choice is limited I buy the Core-lokt. Also checked on a box of Remington Core-lokt 30-06 ammo yesterday and to my surprise they were selling for $36.00/bx which is "Outrageous". I got a real deal on the Federals.

I get Nosler Partition 2nd's at the factory store in Bend.. (every time I go there, I buy all they have) I also buy up their Accubonds.. both in 30 cal and 375 cal.. must have close too a couple thousand of them on hand now..

the Barnes might be a great bullet, but if their quality control on their reloading manual is off on both rifles that I handload for, (30-378 wby mag and 375 Ultra Mag) what is the quality control like on their bullets?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

dundonrl:

I'm a Nosler Partition user myself, and I'm not defending Barnes bullets. I don't even use them.

But, I'm curious as to why you are buying 2nds if you're concerned about quality control.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The Nosler Partition has been my premium bullet choice for 40 years. I introduced a goodly amount of God's creatures to the Nosler nap. I started loading 175gr Nosler Partitions in my first Remington 700 chambered in 7mm magnum. I hunted almost of Alaska to include the Peninsula, SE, and the islands and I never felt undergunned with that combo. Maybe not the best kit but it worked for me (and at the time it was all I had). I always felt that the NP was the bullet that most all others are compared to. As time went on and I acquired more rifles in other calibers I still continued to load the Partition to include 22-250. Even though I never had an NP fail when Nosler came out with the Accubond I gave them a try; if anything I found them to be even more accurate then the Partition. I never used the Accubond on game but I believe that the if your pushing the velocity envelope it is better to probably go with a tougher bullet than AB. Recently, I converted over to the Barnes camp and load TSX and some MRX, with excellent results in accuracy and terminal performance. Bottomline, although bullet selection and caliber is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting. Timber out.

"Let us cross over the river and rest in the shade of the trees."
    - General Stonewall Jackson’s dying words May10, 1863

Default I shoot the TSX in all my calibers

I like the TSX. It shoots very accurate for me with decent velocity from of all of my guns. I dont have a whole lot of experience with other calibers, but have no reason to load anything else. I've seen the inside results on caribou, moose, and black bear and it does what it is suppose to do. I may switch over to the TTSX when it becomes available for my calibers, but I like the TSX as is.

.338 WM: 210grn TSX
    .243 W: 85grn TSX
    30/30 W: 150 grn TSXFN
    44 Mag: 200grn TSX

Northern

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast