Thread: Snow Chickens for dinner

Thumbs up Snow Chickens for dinner

Got out to my "secret spot" again the other day and brought home some beautiful birds. Big game, small game, what difference is there. I get just as excited looking down the barrel at a frisky rabbit or a flushed ptarmigan as I do drawing on moose and 'bou. Thanks for the recipes for the ptarmigan everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice picture there. Looks extreme! Now where is that secret spot? J/K
    Did you snomachine or hike?

Default I Wish.....

.....that I owned a snow machine. I'm a hiker; one foot in front of the other always gets me there. I took a couple of buddies up there 4 days ago and we all nearly shot our limit. The photo is actually from about 2 weeks ago. I was afraid to get rideculed because of all the birds we shot 4 days ago, so I didn't post the pix from 4 days ago. It just looks like we take more than our fair share considering the low success rate for ptarmigan hunters. I ate all mine up already and I'll bet my buddies did the same. 4 days ago it was not so hardcore as the sun was shining and there was absolutely no wind. My legs got a good workout as we post-holed through the crusted snow. ...sure beats going to the crowded gym any day!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mark

Congrats! Looks like a great hunt.

I agree; a walk in the woods beats a workout in the gym every time.

I see you used two different rifles. What are they and do you shoot open sights on both?

sounds like you could use a pair of backcountry skis... Best invention ever (thanks norway)! Biathalon sure is Fun... Nice pics...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I see you used two different rifles. What are they and do you shoot open sights on both?
    I noticed that too, and I suspect they're both shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I noticed that too, and I suspect they're both shotguns.
    Ummm...not to burst anyone's bubble, but if you look at the second picture you can see he's shooting some type of clip-fed, scoped, .22/.17 Marlin maybe?? I'm not good at recognizes the rims.

Jon

Anchorage, Alaska, United States, 106199619411091, Anchorage, Alaska

C&B -- nice looking birds! I take it you're hunting w/out a dog, otherwise he/she would be in the picture?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter3 View Post
    Ummm...not to burst anyone's bubble, but if you look at the second picture you can see he's shooting some type of clip-fed, scoped, .22/.17 Marlin maybe?? I'm not good at recognizes the rims.

Jon
    It's alright Jon. These old guys just don't have as good of eyesight as you and I do.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    It's alright Jon. These old guys just don't have as good of eyesight as you and I do.

haha yea your right Eric. Most of the time I just let them be but that one was bugging me

And I always thought I was blind..

Jon

Default weapons

Yea, when the snow is not so deep, I choose to use my bow. When it's windy, and snowing, I use a shotgun, and when it's nice outside I choose to use my .22 mag (scoped). I'd rather use my bow 100 % of the time, but the arrows lost in the snow quickly adds up. My dog is at home with my Pops (golden retriever) in Montana, so I do all my own flushing and retrieving. ...sure do love getting out!

how do they taste? I have eaten grouse and bunnies but have not had the oportunity to try ptarmigan

Thumbs up Mmmmmm

Lujon, they taste great! If you like grouse, then I'll be you will like ptarmigan as well. I've prepared them a few different ways and have not found a way that I didn't like. My wife and kids love them too; and that says a lot!

once we get some snow I will be heading up above treeline to try and collect a few for a taste test.

Default snow chickens

Anyone ever try hunting for them around the hope area? im on the KP and am thinking of heading up there to try and find some I saw some up there in october while looking for bears. Have 2 weeks off starting friday and want to get out to try to find some. Never hunted for them before.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by lab man View Post
    That's right.

Even when we wear glasses.............

Default Youth...

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's right.

Even when we wear glasses.............
    ... is wasted on the young.

Regardless of my seeing abilities, last day of the season last spring: three shots, three ptarmigan.

Smile

ya' know, strangely, I always have a hard time spotting whatever game it is that I am in search of at the time....;(

Jon

Default Hope birds

GEOFF 156: I've scared up some ptarmigan in hope, but always felt like I was sheep hunting instead of bird hunting. I've only been out there spring/summer/fall...never in the winter. I've always had to climb very high into the rocks to scare up the ptarmigan there. On the other hand, there are a lot of spruce grouse on the lower trails/roads in hope; they are considerably easier to get to. Good luck, let us know how you do; remember to take a camera!