Thread: Rabbit snares

Default Rabbit snares

Looking for input on building cheap rabbit snares. I would like to set up to 100 snares on my trap line so they need to be cost effective.

I have heard that 20 gauge wire or braided #2 picture hanging wire can be used. Does anyone have any experiance with either of these? All info will be helpful.

I use stainless aircraft tie-off wire. A one-pound roll is cheap and lasts a long time- Don't remember what I paid for the last one.

Double it and give it a few twists, then bend one end and form a loop. Don't use the small loop that forms when you double the wire- it will break. Nice thing about it too, you can carry a roll with you and make the snares as you go, adjusting length to suit the spot and not requiring any special tools or accessories. Anything else I've seen is either more expensive or more complicated.

I lean toward the picture hanging wire. I used to snare the bunnies quite a bit. If something larger gets into the snare it usually breaks but it works very well for rabbits.

BB, what size of wire do you use it comes in .020, .030 nd .040. The larger size would be too thick I'm thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I use stainless aircraft tie-off wire. A one-pound roll is cheap and lasts a long time-
    Where does a fella go to buy that?

Default Found some

Gee this might be fun over Christmas vacation. I found some for 9$ a dozen, swivels and everything included, 3/64 cable.

Should 3 dozen be enough to start?

How about placing some leg holds around near the rabbit snare just incase Mr. Fox or Yote comes along and tries to steel my dinner.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default SS Wire

You can get the .30 or .40 from AIH... They also sell some cheap safety wire pliers to twist it up with and make quick sets. I would go with the .30 twisted. The .40 twisted would be too large and untwisted you would run a chance of the wire breaking at the loop from induced stress. A twisted loop makes eliminates stress points. I've also used single strand offshore trolling leader wire. It's tough and springy so you can extend it out over a trail without a support.

Brett

we use braided picture hanging wire, gonna go set a few here as soon as galen is done with his lessons.
    i would be careful about putting legholds around a set unless lynx is open in your area.
    last time wwe had a high lynx/rabbit cycle here i lost 20-30% of my snared bunnies to cats. ( and no, they never stepped in the legholds i set;-()
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Talking Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    we use braided picture hanging wire, gonna go set a few here as soon as galen is done with his lessons.
    i would be careful about putting legholds around a set unless lynx is open in your area.
    last time we had a high lynx/rabbit cycle here i lost 20-30% of my snared bunnies to cats. ( and no, they never stepped in the legholds i set;-()
    The fishing industry calls that incidental harvest. For example: If the rabbit limit is 6, then the incidental harvest of lynx would be 12. ;D

Default stainless steel safety lock wire

I use stainless steel safety lock wire from AIH
    It says one pound on the little can / spool. It has a plastic lid and pulls out from the center of the spool. One spool makes alot of snares. My kids can sit around and make a bunch when they are bored over at Grandpa's. Never had any problems with rabbits breaking them at any stress points. The wire is flexible enough to position it any way you want but stiff enough to put in their trail without having to use any support. I take about 2 1/2 inches on the end and double it back onto itself. Pinch the main wire and the tip of the part you just folded back stick a nail in the loop you have just created and twist that nail until the wire is tight against it. Pull the nail out insert the wire through that hole and there is youre snare. Works great for my kids. They actually make them on the spot most of the time. (never know how long or short of one you need) Spool of wire and a pair of lineman pliers and send them on their way.

Default Ecellent info

Thanks all for all the info. I bought a roll of lock wire and have twisted up a few snares to put out this weekend. Sure would be nice to catch a few, I'm really looking forward to some rabbit stew.

out of curiosity do you set snares just where trails seem to be or do you also bait them?

Also does snaring rabbits fall under hunting regs? (I think it does?)
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default trail sets

they get paths set and packed down ( when you walk through the woods you'll see random tracks and then you'll notice the packed down runs), throw a snare between two narrow trees or clumps of brush) or where they go under something and it's all over. They are the easiest thing there is and alot of fun to get kids started on.

Thanks I might have to try that when I'm home in a couple weeks...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Good sites

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TH...5_144690_7.pdf
    http://www.traps4kids.com

I found these two sites on snaring. They look pretty good. The second site is agood kids site for trapping too.