Thread: EO Unit 6 doe deer closure!

Default EO Unit 6 doe deer closure!

Unit 6 Doe Season Closes

Cordova Resident and nonresident hunting for female deer in Unit 6 will close at one minute before midnight on December 4, 2007, by emergency order of the Alaska Department of Fish and Game.

Cordova wildlife biologist Dave Crowley reported that winter mortality during the 2006-07 winter probably exceeded 50% in some areas of Unit 6 because of heavy snow that persisted into late spring. During normal years hunter harvest has little overall impact to deer numbers in Prince William Sound compared to winter mortality. However, with the population now at a reduced density, additional harvest of pregnant does could delay recovery of the population. December snowfall will concentrate deer near beaches in Unit 6D, where they will be vulnerable to heavy harvest by boat-based hunters.

The season for bucks will remain open in Unit 6 until the normal closure on December 31.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Question I have to ask.....

I don't see this EO on the ADFG webpage. Am I missing something? Where can I go to get the most current EOs and such? I am waiting on weather for a PWS hunt out of Whittier, and if I didn't see this post, I would have had no idea of the EO! Yikes!

Thanks for posting!

Jake

Default Don't know

I have no idea when it will be online. I am on the advisory committee for F&G in Valdez and I receive all South Central EO's as soon as they are released.

It is real....... It was not a nice winter out there last year.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Cannery Creek Hatchery, Prince William Sound

I heard the same thing earlier today. It's a no go on the does. Kinda sucks now that the snow is finaly falling heavy.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default It doesn't suck...

for the deer. I was on the south end of Montague last Thursday, along with a dozen other planes...and the population seemed bleak at best to me. I realize this is only a small area, but it has traditionally had an outstanding population of deer, and I don't blame the lack of snow becuase I have been out there many times with little to no snow this time of year and have seen plenty of animals.

Of the deer I saw, a fair number were doe's with twin fawns (perhaps natures way of righting the ship). I know there isn't a ton of evidence that hunters adversely affect the population in the sound, but with what I witnessed, it sure as heck can't hurt for us to take a year off from stacking up doe's on the beach in the middle of December when there is a couple feet of snow behind them pinning them there. Just my $.02!

I shot a doe one time - and to this day I am still sad for doing it. Unbeknownst to me, I killed two deer that day becuase when when i got ready to gut it, she was still lactating. I never saw the fawn anywhere. I resolved to not shoot does anymore - just my personal preference. I don't have any problem with Doe harvest when the population needs or supports it etc.

Would I shoot a Cow Moose? Dunno - but I put in for antlerless tags every year - luckily I haven't had to make that decision yet.

Default Bump

Thanks for the info!

Pass the word there are still a lot of us heading out into the sound.

Thanks,
    JB

I just called his office and they confirmed (907-424-3215). Crowly is out of the office until Monday but the lady on the line said he did submit this.

I just got back from a 6D deer hunt. The does were very scarce this year.