Thread: Kupiruk river

Default Kupiruk river

Wondering if anyone knows the depth of the kupiruk river where the Haul rd. crosses, thanks for any info

Default Kuparuk (I believe is how you spell it)

If you are speaking of the Kuparuk river, and thinking of using a canoe or Inflateable in it. It is really iffy depending on the time of year, and water shed. Someone obviously does it, and must do it often enough as they cache they're canoe's not far from where it flows under the Haul Rd. I personaly have only seen it navigable by canoe or inflateable once during say the end of august into sept in the past 4 or 5 years. If you look on google earth, it shows what appears to be enough water to selectively navigate a canoe or small craft in it, but I would definately have a plan "B" ready if you arrive and it doesn't support your needs. Hope this helps..............
    Be safe, and enjoy your time outdoors!
    Mountain Man

"I'm not here for a long time! I'm here for a good time!!!!!!!!!!!"

It crosses the road pretty close to 125 miles south of Prudhoe.

At the bridge (MP 289) the Kuparuk is a riffle-pool-riffle-pool stream averaging 10 feet wide with the riffles being a few inches and the pools as deep as 3 or 4 feet but usually not more than knee deep.

If you're planning on floating the Kuparuk an inflatable or folding canoe, or pack raft (some sort of small air transportable boat) is the ONLY option because the only way out, besides a long walk, is by air.

The prospective Kuparuk floater must be prepared to line or portage for most of the first several miles. Eventually it gains enough water from tributary trickles to float but be warned, there are rapids on the Kuparuk that for hunting purposes (considering the boat limitations) are unrunnable, so...more portaging.

Once you're beyond a days hump back to the road you are committed to a take-out on the upper section of the lower river where the gravel bars widen enough for a bush plane to land so be prepared for either a 60 to 90 mile, or 120 mile float. The Kuparuk runs through the Prudhoe Bay Closed Area and the oil patch and under a bridge. This road is not a take out option. If you show up unannounced, with weapons, things will get interesting very quickly. So your take out options are either upstream or on the coast. If you choose to go to the ocean be prepared to contact BP security before starting your trip.

According to the ADF&G bio out of Barrow there are good numbers of bears along the Kuparuk so be prepared, especially once you've got meat down.

LAST TWO YEAR A MOUNTAIN BIKE WOULD WORK AS WELL AS BOAT WHERE THE ROAD CROSSES IT.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Arctic hydrology is highly rainfall dependent as there is little runoff in the fall or winter from melt or ground water, also there is little storage capacity for groundwater thus when it rains all the water runs off very quickly. So if it rains a lot you can float, if it doesn't you probably can't
    heres a hydrograph from last sumer

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/dv?cb...rred_module=sw

I'd excpect you'd want at least 500 CFS to float it
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Its not really a river, more of a small creek.