Thread: Looking for good packaged meals for a hunt.

Default Looking for good packaged meals for a hunt.

Looking for new suggestions for a good meal while in camp. Throw anything and everything out there, I'm open to suggestions. I've tried the usual stuff, I haven't liked most of the Mountain House that I've tried.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default something healthier

If your looking for something healthier you can try www.maryjanesfarm.com she has a good selection of freeze dried meals and condiments to keep it interesting plus it's healthier than the other brands, I use it because of the much lower sodium content and lower cholesterol plus it tastes good. She also offers different size meals so there's less waste if your not a big eater or for women, or you can buy in bulk and just ziplock it if you want to save a few bucks.

Default The perfect meal

I've done a lot of hunting through fly-in operators and backpacking which requires you to be very careful in how heavy your gear is. For many years I've been using Lipton pasta meals. They are extremely light, take up very little room, and one packet is a full meal for one person. The directions say to add water, milk, and butter but I've found they taste great with just adding the water (which definitely helps with prep time and weight constraints). There's all sorts of flavors and they all taste good. Sometimes we'll bring in canned chicken or tuna and add that to the pasta. It's healthy for you and it also gives you plenty of carbs. It's worked for us in the past. Try them before you go out on your hunt and see what you think.

Thanks HT. I'll give them a try.

www.mikesbritishguns.us

Default +1 on the liptons

Although I almost exclusively go with MH meals now because of ease of just boiling water, I have used the liptons in the past. They are great, just takes a little more fuel because you have to simmer them after bringing it to a boil and have to clean your pot after the meal. Much cheaper then MH too. About 1.25 per package. Adding some canned chicken, tuna, salmon, etc is a great idea, especially on hunts where wieght is not totally critcal.

You can always go with MRE's. With the new meals they aren't half bad. Much better than they were 10 years ago.

I've eaten MRE's for years. I accually like almost all of them. Where's the best place to buy them? They make meal prep so simple. I just didn't know if anyone sells them around here at a price that is affordable.

I'm not to sure. I don't have to buy them so I really don't pay attention. You could prob get them online for a decent price.

Any savings you get online is more than eaten up with shipping. I still have some left from before I retired, but the pile is getting small.

Default MRE's

The only problem with them is that they're a little heavy. But they are good!

Casper,
    What kind of hunt is it? Is weight an issue? If not then cook up batches of your favorite dishes then vacuum pack and freeze them. Chili, stews, cassaroles, spaghetti dishes are perfect for this. If you want to bring raw meat you can get it to keep a few days longer if you brush it with lemon juice before vac-packing. Tortillas (unless you hate them) are the perfect hunt camp bread.

If you want to bring raw eggs, break them at home and gently pour them into a sterilized, straight sided jar (an olive jar is perfect). When you cook them just pour out how many you want. If kept cold they keep for 4-5 days.

For a pending 10-day caribou hunt, I am taking some of my deer jerky (for protein before I bag ptarmigan and catch fish), dried onion/ green pepper/mixed vegetables/tomatoes/soup mix/mixed fruit and tater pdr., flour, corn meal and cooking oil.....plus spices (I like "Montreal Steak" seasoning).

Default veg MH

Have you tried the vegetarian MH meals... I really like the Pasta Primavera... And no I'm not a vegitarian.. Just happen to like that one.

I'm trying something new this year for moose hunting. I am bringing along the pre-cooked Tyson chicken breasts and beef patties along with some of the packaged, not canned, tuna, chicken, and maybe some ham. Also will be bringing some of the Lipton rice and some of the instant potato's. I like to bring along some chicken and beef boullion cubes to make a hot broth for those cold mornings and maybe put a piece or 2 of beef jerky in it.

Default MRE Weight

Speaking of MREs, I am preparing for a backpacking trip to WA next month and re-packaged my MREs last night. 12 packages weighed in at 19 pounds before and weighed in under 15 pounds after I trimmed the unnecessary cardboard.

We always field stripped them in the corps. Saves weight and room.