Thread: If you were going to buy a new Nikon...

Default If you were going to buy a new Nikon...

Which DSLR would you get? (funds are unlimited) And explain why?

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    Which DSLR would you get? (funds are unlimited) And explain why?
    Well, if funds were unlimited I would buy the top of the Line Canon digital SLR camera, and a few of the best "L" lenses, a couple of tele-converters, a flash or two, remote control, a good tripod, enough Hoya circular polarizers, and ND filters for all the lenses, and a huge hard drive for my computer to save the enormous RAW photos taken with a 21MP camera Just the body alone costs around $8,000!

Your fired for picking a Canon :P
    Last edited by OneLunG; 12-04-2007 at 23:56. Reason: I cant spell....

A canon...

However if I were to get a nikkon I'd get a film one, and a ton of velvia chrome... Velvia is 60 mp btw.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    A canon...

However if I were to get a nikkon I'd get a film one, and a ton of velvia chrome... Velvia is 60 mp btw.
    Velvia film? I have had a Nikon F-3 with lenses, motor drive, flash, etc. (a relic now). My daughter wanted it because I no longer use it, and because she has fond memories of it (I took lots of pictures of her since she was a baby until the age of 19 or so). It held its value well, and my daughter is keeping it packed in a safe place just as a collector's item. She lives in the lower-48.

Digital is so much easier to work with.

Some new Canon's have a "Velvia setting." They don't call it that, but it's one of the Picture Styles designed to mimic some film types. On my 40D Landscape Picture Style comes close, but you have to dial up the saturation and contrast too.

There is a lot of controversy about the equivalent MPix of film, but it is a vast overstatement to say that any 35mm color film equals 60MPix. In the real world, you would be lucky to make Velvia equal more than 12MPix. Canon's 21MPix D1sIII is pushing past what medium format film quality is. 35mm Velvia doesn't compete.

Personally, if choosing Nikon, I would go for a D300. Good high ISO images, 14 bit RAW files, good AF, crop frame sensor size, good handling, weatherproofing, and price - because price always matters, even when funds are unlimited. Pretty much the reasons I picked the Canon D40, and spent $600 less money doing it.

Yeah, the D300 is top on my list right now, though I cant justify getting it yet with the woman and all :P

D300, with out a doubt. IF, limited $, D80, the best glass with what is left.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Some new Canon's have a "Velvia setting." They don't call it that, but it's one of the Picture Styles designed to mimic some film types. On my 40D Landscape Picture Style comes close, but you have to dial up the saturation and contrast too.

There is a lot of controversy about the equivalent MPix of film, but it is a vast overstatement to say that any 35mm color film equals 60MPix. In the real world, you would be lucky to make Velvia equal more than 12MPix. Canon's 21MPix D1sIII is pushing past what medium format film quality is. 35mm Velvia doesn't compete.

Personally, if choosing Nikon, I would go for a D300. Good high ISO images, 14 bit RAW files, good AF, crop frame sensor size, good handling, weatherproofing, and price - because price always matters, even when funds are unlimited. Pretty much the reasons I picked the Canon D40, and spent $600 less money doing it.
    The 40D is a very nice camera. I imagine that the 50D should be available in about a year. I will use my XT for another year or two, and then buy a 50D.

Yep, if Canon follows it's 18 month cycle for the xxD series camera, we should see the 50D announced February 2009, and shipping shortly thereafter. I suppose I'll sit that one out, and wait for the 60D.

Is there no end to this madness?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Strutz View Post
    Yep, if Canon follows it's 18 month cycle for the xxD series camera, we should see the 50D announced February 2009, and shipping shortly thereafter. I suppose I'll sit that one out, and wait for the 60D.

Is there no end to this madness?
    Good idea. I don't need more than 8 to 10MP cameras, but welcome physical improvements to the camera's body such as tightness to block moisture, stronger and more accurate shutter mechanism, and things like that. Canon has taken care of all that plus more with the 40D. I have been using my XT for three years now, and have been very pleased with it, although I have hardly gotten into the manual mode. I will upgrade to the 50D maybe a year from now, and use with it the same lenses I use now. 8 to 10MP is more than plenty for me. More than that would require more hard drive space than just GB's.

You are right about "no end to this madness." For example, trying to keep up with technology only prevents me for learning to get the most from the equipment I have now.

I just got a D40 and I already want to upgrade to somthing with a few more features lol....I know how you guys feel....