Thread: Boat Fuel Issue

Wasilla, Alaska

Default Boat Fuel Issue

Howdy, I have a 2001 Smoker Craft Osprey with a 50 horse 2-stroke O/B. It has been parked in my garage for about a year and a half now without running and I am concerned about the fuel going bad. Is this really a major issue? If so, what can I do about it?

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Fuel Stabalizer - Most outboard shops sell it, comes in bottle of around a pint.....add some to the fuel and it should make it last for a while longer...

Nothing will make your engine run like piss more than water and bad fuel :P

Default Varnish.

The bad fuel can be removed and replaced with fresh but the varnish it leaves behind is what can cause you some real hardships. You'll probably want to clean your carbs. if you had not treated your fuel with stabalizer.

I have found I have been able to add additives to my fuel and it seems to clean up the system. It has only taken one bad incident in a remote setting to fully understand what varnishing can do to make a good time turn into a bad time.

So with that being said, if you are able to run cleaning additives through your system where a break down won't be a catastrophe then that is the easiest. But if you head out remote......... Hope it helps.