Thread: since I am going to have to replace my guns....

Default since I am going to have to replace my guns....

What are some of your idea's and sugestions? I'm not into spending 2k on a gun 1k on a scope. 700.00 coplete set up takes animals just as well. Here are the catagories to pick from.

HOME PROTECTION:

HUNTING RIFLE:

HUNTING PISTOL:

VARMIT HUNTING:

I am definatly going with a .45 glock auto for general carring around hunting/home. And am thinking about picking up a junker 12ga for cheap to leave next to the bed, it will be a cheap one so "if" this happens again it will have no value. I looked at alot of gun safes today (felt good to get out of the house after this ordeal and in the house for 4 days.) and think I found a winner at sportsmans but need to look at one other before committing. This gun safe they will not be able to get into. And by god if the can carry off 1025lbs plus the wieght of the contents, you can have it.

My hunting includes, moose/caribou/bear/sheep/goat(hopefully soon), your basic alaskan animals. So, lets hear some Ideas!

For a hunting gun Wally World in Wasilla has an Alaskan 375 Ruger S.S. on "sale" for I think $700.00. I am very tempted myself. If not I'd go for a Savage in 338. You can get one for $500.00 or less with a scope. I've owned or shot most of the other brands and still like my Savage the best. The Glock 21 is an excellent hand gun and will treat you very well for home defense. Got to have a 12 gauge. Personally I like the Mossberg I am waiting on a Tactical Turkey ordered online (535 3.5") for bears/home defense/hunting. If interested it was $371.00 delivered from Tin Star Shooting Range in OK. I'd want a .22 for plinking/hunting Ruger probably, couple hundred new again at Wally World. With those I would be in pretty good shape. Matter of fact that is the core (well the savage is in 7mm wish I could afford a 338 and the 45 is a Colt) of my guns. Pretty much take care of everything in North America. I might want a lighter rifle (I've got a 270 in Rem 700) for smaller big game or humping mountains (well mine actually was bought for my wife, that's what I tell her anyway). I take it your firearms were stolen? That would kill me as I could not afford to replace the firearms I've got. Hopefully they well be recovered if stolen. Good luck and enjoy all the gun shopping you will be doing. Missed a couple of your requirements and added others. Hunting pistol 480 Ruger or 454 in Ruger. Varmint a 223 cuz it's cheap to shoot, in again a Savage best bang for the buck and a wonderfully accurate weapon, or perhaps in Remington. If not the 223 I like the 22-250 or 204 Ruger.

I moved my safes into a room, then framed in a too-small doorway into the room. I doubt they'll be up to moving the safes AND tearing out the framing.

On your budget, I'd either go used for the rifle or look hard at the Savages. I've got several Savages, and pretty they're not, but golly do they shoot. I think you're pushing the limit trying to get any new rifle/scope combo for under $700. Since you're starting at the basics, you can't get any more basic than 30-06.

My "basic" shotgun is a Mossberg 500 with both ribbed/choked and sighted slug barrel. Not much money tied up comparatively, but it sure is tough and reliable. I've got quite a few fancier shotguns, but when the conditions get tough I reach for the 500. Mine is so beaten up that there's aboslutely no bluing left on it. The stock looks like it fell out of a truck, but they're all honest scrapes and dents. Yet it works as well today as new. Come to think of it, it probably works better, the way age has smoothed and slicked the action.

Gun show is coming up in Wasilla, youl be able to find some deals there maybe.
    cant go wrong with a good Rem 700 ADL or BDL in synthetic, Matte finish. You can generally find these in the 300 win mag catagory for around 350.00 bucks. Also If your into rugers, I know the fred meyers on dimond/jewel lake here is having a clearence sale on there stainless ones. I think they are 385.00
    Varmint rifle. I would build an AR. You can build a nice one for 700.00
    Hunting pistol, Ruger SRH in 454 casull.
    or.. Get an encore, combine a varmint cal barrel with a pistol barrel.
    Leupold or Burris scopes would be my choices.

Default $385 Ruger?

Rimfire, are you sure about that? I have not looked lately, but have to think that at the price you indicated a SS Ruger would be a great deal.
    Home protection- Louisville Slugger or a pick handle. Nobody is going to steal it either. Or get an 870 express.
    Hunting rifle- If what RFM says is true about the price at Freddies, run and buy 2 of your choice.
    Hunting Pistol- I still like the .44 Redhawk, but I am not a recoil fan either.
    Varmint Rifle- Go back to Freddies and buy something else. I'd price ammo and buy the gun that shoots the best deal. All of them will do good.
    Then go back to the ODD and look for a couple of Leupies VXii. I like my VXiii 2.5X8 but the others are really good too.
    And what about a .22? I like bolt action tube feeds. I have a habit of forgetting magazines. I do have a little Browning semi auto stock tube feed that breaks down, but I like my older Remington bolt better I think. Guess I have to go back out and try them again.
    I like my sig p220/.45, my sw 59 9mm for a cheap shooter, and my 1006. They all shoot better than I do. It gets spendy feeding the 10mm though. Best deals on ammo was Wally World UMC/250 rounds (FAI) for both the .45 and 9mm.

I have seen rugers m77's for 400 in everything including 338's. Mate that with a Leupold VX 2 and thats less then 700. Model 870 pump for home, and a nice NEF handi in 243 should be 1200-1500 for the lot. Handguns prices I haven't been watching. I would find someone with an FFL and buy wholesale. Just my 2 cents.

Ron

For your "cheap" bedside shotgun, you ought to consider a break action. Either a single shot (about $80 new) or a twice-shooter side-by-side will do you fine. Pick the bottom of the line used versions of either at your local pawn shop. You can cut the barrel back to about 20" and wrap a shell-holder around the stock for some extra ammo. With a double barrel you can actually place a small flashlight into the bottom barrel gap and hold it on with some heavy-duty rubber bands. It is the ultimate "expendable" bedroom tactical shotgun. You'll need to go to the range and practice rapid loading from your stock side-saddle, but you can go pretty quick with these.

That said, my in-house tactical shotgun is a Rem870 with 20" DRS barrel, mag extension (6 rounds), side-saddle (6 rounds), tac sling, and a stock that also has 4 rounds of extra ammo storage. When you have 16 rounds of ammo on the gun it's heavy enough to use as a battering ram , but you could fend off a small army from my hall-end defensive position at the bedroom door.

I also stumbled across where they are making "tactical" accessories for the single-shot break actions now. See the attached photo I lifted from a website. The cost of the accessories was about 5 times the cost of the gun itself, so it's not really a practical setup.
    Last edited by JOAT; 08-27-2009 at 10:21.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default gun safe

Costco on Dimond had a pretty beefy looking gunsafe the last time I was in there. You might give it a looksee.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Costco on Dimond had a pretty beefy looking gunsafe the last time I was in there. You might give it a looksee.
    Didn't think of Costco, thanks for hte heads up!

Here are some calibers I was thinking about.....

Big game: .300, .338 and for sheep/goat/deer, 7mm mag, 30.06.

varmints: .223, .204, .220

Deffinatly getting the .45 glock and I like the idea (JOAT) of a short sidexside junker 12ga for the home protection. Two shells in 99.99% of the time is going to get the message across I think.

Also, when I go rideing (snowmachine/wheeler) I allways carry a pistol (that would be the new .45 glock to replace my .480) But I like to have a rifle on hand as well. Whats your thoughts on a rifle to fit the bill? I was thinking a used .308.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Lots of good suggestions posted in this tread, and I seccond most of them. I guess I would also stress the Wassila Gun show as a possible one stop affordable shopping spree for you. In regards to "home protection" I will tell you what I use, incase you need to opt for a "cheaper non-leathal" for the interem while you save up some cash for that shot gun. 10 lb dry chemical fire extinguisher! 1st off, every home should have at least one of these. 2nd, they will not penitrate walls, doors, or people.......especially neighbors. 3rd, if you score a direct hit to the upper body or face inside of 15 feet, your intruder will be down hard and in need of medical assistance. 4, if there is someone in an adjascent room, and you cant see them to get a good shot, 10lbs of dry chem agent will displace ALL of the breathable oxygen from that room in about 4 secconds. I know it sounds like a stupid low tech answer to home defense, but I can tell you from personal experience that they do work, and they work well. It leaves one heck of a mess in your house to klean up.............but I guess its better than mopping up blood or brains

Just a thought
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Alangaq View Post
    3rd, if you score a direct hit to the upper body or face inside of 15 feet, your intruder will be down hard and in need of medical assistance.
    I might accidentally trip, fall, drop 10lb extinguisher on perps face, repeat

But then I would probably be sued or prosecuted due to criminals having rights
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Curt,

12GA

.44 Mag

Either a SKS or AK-47.

Maybe a 10/22 if you need to plink.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Rimfire, are you sure about that? I have not looked lately, but have to think that at the price you indicated a SS Ruger would be a great deal.
    I stopped by on Thursday and they had very few rifles left and no Rugers.

For home defene shotgun you can pick up a pretty cheap Winchester Defender pump 12 Gauge....its what I have and it was super cheap brand new.....has a short barrely, fiber optic bead, and an extended magazine...

Default Dirtofak

I like your list, much like my own personal arsonal... great all around guns for every occasion. The only difference is I like the 300 Weatherby instead of the 338

Default My two cents

HOME PROTECTION:
    Remington 12Ga – Model 870 Express Combo, you just can't go wrong. Plus they give you 2 barrels.

Or a Rottweiler

HUNTING RIFLE:

Kimber 8400M .325 WSM

HUNTING PISTOL:

S&W Model 629 4” .44Mag

VARMIT HUNTING:

Ruger 10/22

Carry:
    It's hard to beet the Glock-36 .45 Auto.
    -Powerful, extremely accurate and comes in a nice tight package. Additionally this gun is a great value.