Thread: Todays Adventure.

Default Todays Adventure.

Well we had gale warnings today and I didn't think I was going to get to hunt. After waiting till 9:30 waiting on the weather to calm down (which it didn't) I put the boat in anyway. The waves weren't all that bad, but when combined with the 40mph winds, the 14 degree temperature, and freezing spray it was a little hairy. I made the trip back out to my harlequin spot b/c I had left my pirogues out there the other day and wanted to retrieve them. When I got into the bay the water was beautifully calm and there were a good amount of birds in my spot. I ran the long lines out (which sucks when hunting alone) and got set up. Forty-five minutes later I had 5 harlequin drakes and four barrows golden eye drakes. I was a little worried about getting home safely so I went ahead and packed up to start heading home. Got some pretty good pics on the way home as well.

Default right on dude!

Nice job on the harleys and goldies. Sorry I never got back to you, work never brought me back to Cordova and have been in Southeast. Beautiful pics dude. Some wall hangers right there.

That's where they're headed! I'm trading some work for some specimens. Should get me a little break on the price. Taxidermists are charging a gold mine these days for good work!!

What kind of setup did ya do?

I'm hunting a rocky point in the middle of a large bay. Running my long lines down both sides of the rocks seems to pull birds from both legs of the bay. Not that it's that big of a deal b/c the majority of the birds want to be on the point anyway. There's a large underwater grass bed there and the birds frequently land around me while I'm putting decoys out. They just want to be where I'm at. Can't ask for much more than that. I'll post up some pics of the set up shortly.

Matt do can you have the birds done in Cordova or do you send them out?

Default Prayers needed

Ring is out in the crap tonight searching for that missing helicopter. If you are so inclined him and the souls on the copter need parayers.

Prayers sent from the skybust family.

I had not heard about a missing aircraft. Do you have more information? I hope the crew is ok, and that the searchers are home safe too.

AK River Rat it was a life flight helecopter. It left Cordova going to Anchorage I bleave its last known location was ester island not sure about that but it hasnt been heard from since Monday I beleave.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    I had not heard about a missing aircraft. Do you have more information? I hope the crew is ok, and that the searchers are home safe too.

We're back from the seach. We didn't find anything in the water or along the shorelines after 4 days of searching. It's left up to the aircraft to find em now. With all the bad weather over there it may be spring/summer thaw before anything is recovered. Less than a mile visibility and a cloud ceiling of less than 1000 feet was keeping the planes and helos on the ground for the majority of the time that we were there. My prayers go out to the McDowell family. They are some great folks and I know Mrs Gayle is going to be missed!

Skybust: I have to send my birds out to have them done. No body here in Cordova does taxidermy to my knowledge.

Sorry to hear about the chopper.

On a better note, Ring King, you are my hero. I dream of one day killing just one harlie! Your pics are amazing and i drool just glancing at them.

keep your stick on the ice, chris