Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 257-300Wby Ready To Test

Default 257-300Wby Ready To Test

Well, my 257-300Wby is back from the gunsmith in Denver who reamed out my 257Wby Synethic and my friend who bedded the B&C Metalist stock. Now it all begins and I am not going to rush this, I am just going to take it a step at a time. Won't promise when the targets and load data along with Velocities will be published by me but it won't be to long. Here is MY 257-300Wby and it's new set of eyes a Zeiss 4.5-14x44mm Conquest supported by Talley bases and rings with Weatherby Logo.

WOW!!!! ONE GOOD LOOKING SUPER HOT WEATHERBY!!

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default You should show it to Ed.

I have been following your progress on your gun. It is a sweet setup.
    It is truly ready for action.

I would go on to Weatherbynation.com and post your gun.

Ed Weatherby is very active on this board and he seems to answer almost
    every email.

He doesn't rely on spokespeople but just answers questions as they come up.

This is kind of nice and is a great reason to go on this board.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Thank you kaboku68

Here are some first results. There are some things in life that are GOOD!!!! And if you are lucky, fortunate or whatever you want to call it you really need to be grateful. Well I truly am! I own one of the most awesome cartridges and rifles a man could own in my Mark V 257-300Wby. I went this morning and was using IMR7828 and RL-25. Don't use IMR7828 in the 257-300Wby because it will not give you the velocity or accuracy that is possible without a lot of and I mean a lot of pressure real quick and all of a sudden. One grain jump from a 98% of max load to a stiff bolt and velocities were way below the Velocities of RL-25. Now RL-25 is different altogether and this stuff acts like it was made for this cartridge. I was able to attain 4227fps but pressures were to much yet I had easy ejection. My rifle stock slipped on my support when I pulled the trigger and threw the second round but the other two were looking like the group I fired just before this last group. Now the group behind this one was a 1" group and was trucking on the average of three shots 4202fps. I think I could have shot a better group but with all I was doing with all of my equipment and shooting through the Chrono I was not really that steady and my consentration and focus on the target was not that good. Now I will show you the group that was traveling 4202fps on the average and then I will show the brass of both this group and of the group traveling 4227fps. You will notice pressure sign with the brass on the right which represents the 4227fps and then on the left brass which represents the 4202fps. Now I don't have a lot of time and money right how because of Christmas. So I am going to use for hunting purposes the load that was 4202fps and shoot it until after Jan then I will start to look at other powders. My barrel after 18 rounds this morning cleaned right up after just a few patches. This barrel is as smooth as a baby's bottom.
    RL-25 100gr TSX 4202fps 1" group

Brass on left was 4202fps one on right was 4227fps

Now I am not going to give exact load data because this is a wildcat and no real norm has been set and each rifle is different and some actions like the Remington, Howa and others are not as strong as the Mark V and will show pressure signs at different points along the way. I will say you should start at 80grs of RL-25 and work up a grain or half a grain at a time.
    My OAL to keep pressures down with the advise of a friend who owns one is 3.395" Cover the last groove on the 100gr TSX. Look at the pictures and make sure the grooves are covered.

Oh! A few other thoughts about my experience this morning. I love the stock, the feel, and the rifle is very well balanced. Michael did and out standing job in reaming and Ed did some real good work in bedding the stock. I thought to myself what will this be like without a brake on it. Well, let me tell you it was just like shooting a 260win I owned onced, maybe a 270 with 130gr bullet but it was a real piece of cake and I can't say enough for the glass (Zeiss)
    The accuracy at present is acceptable because I know from how I felt at the bench when I was shooting that I can do much better. Also all three rounds ejected with ease. I am really going to like this rifle, there is so much potential and at those Velocities what ever it hits will not even know it died so quick.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Thumbs up WOW!

Very nice looking rifle and impressive numbers. Congrads on building a fine shooter.

Looks to be a great mountain gun, whats the total weight of it, rifle, scope and ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    Very nice looking rifle and impressive numbers. Congrads on building a fine shooter.

Looks to be a great mountain gun, whats the total weight of it, rifle, scope and ammo?
    Hey, AKDSLDOG, Without the three rounds it weighted 8lbs even.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

With the 100gr TSX I am getting:

3916ft pounds of enerby at muzzle,
    3380 at 100uyds,
    2914 at 200yds,
    2510 at 300yds,
    2157 at 400yds,
    1848 at 500yds,
    1577 at 600yds.

Sight in at 2.97" high at 100yds,
    zero at 420,
    -6.1" at 500
    -10" at 540.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I would very highly recommend a PressureTrace system from Southwest Products. With that on your barrel you will be able to work your loads according to pressure measurements, not....don't get me going on "pressure signs". Seriously, you build enough of these sexy beasts you need one.

Now if that only had corners in the shoulders...mmmmmmmm!

Yeah, a 3-groove 1-14 twist barrel about 28 inches long 0.950" at the muzzle with this cartridge would get me seriously warm all under. At those velocities your bullets are really over-stabilized. I think this is just going to smoke whatever you hit. Shoot through the lungs to keep from messing up the meat.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    I would very highly recommend a PressureTrace system from Southwest Products. With that on your barrel you will be able to work your loads according to pressure measurements, not....don't get me going on "pressure signs". Seriously, you build enough of these sexy beasts you need one.

Now if that only had corners in the shoulders...mmmmmmmm!

Yeah, a 3-groove 1-14 twist barrel about 28 inches long 0.950" at the muzzle with this cartridge would get me seriously warm all under. At those velocities your bullets are really over-stabilized. I think this is just going to smoke whatever you hit. Shoot through the lungs to keep from messing up the meat.
    Nitroman is Southwest Products have a web site. You are right about through the lungs will be enough with this one. Thank you for the advice and I will try and find Southwest Products.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth,

PressureTrace is sold here:

http://www.swproducts.biz/PressureTrace.php

I would recommend this equipment to anyone. With a chronograph and PressureTrace, you simply cannot go wrong. It is on the spendy side, but being able to load more accurately will help to save money in the long run.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    Beartooth,

PressureTrace is sold here:

http://www.swproducts.biz/PressureTrace.php

I would recommend this equipment to anyone. With a chronograph and PressureTrace, you simply cannot go wrong. It is on the spendy side, but being able to load more accurately will help to save money in the long run.
    Hey Nitroman, thanks, that is so cool. Yes, you are right a guy could not go wrong with both and it saves us from guessing with old methods that really are not dependable. thanks again Nitroman.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default ???

No harm meant, but you mention having your B&C Medalist stock bedded......I have several of these stocks, and all came with the full length aluminum bedding blocks(minimal fitting needed, drop-in for all intents & purposes)......just curious?

Joe
    Where there's a hobble, there's hope.

Quote Originally Posted by ovis View Post
    No harm meant, but you mention having your B&C Medalist stock bedded......I have several of these stocks, and all came with the full length aluminum bedding blocks(minimal fitting needed, drop-in for all intents & purposes)......just curious?

Joe

Even though the B&C Medalist stock is a drop-in for all intents and purposes they still have a little and in some case minute movement. In having it bedded and making sure the barrel is truly free floated and not touching or when the rifle is fired or stock rested on a rest the stock can move some and will touch the barrel ever so slightly; I eliminate all movement and this does insure the best the stock has to offer in accuracy. This is the reason I had it bedded and checked for movement and that he barrel truly was free floating and would remain so when fired and sitting on a rest such as at the bench, in a shooting house or resting on shooting sticks.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Glue in or Free Float

Beartooth

Did you have the guy "glue in" the bedding block with a shim under barrel or did he freefloat it.

I am just curious.

Sincerely,

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Beartooth

Did you have the guy "glue in" the bedding block with a shim under barrel or did he freefloat it.

I am just curious.

Sincerely,

Thomas
    Kaboku68, let me get back with you because I can run a 1.00 bill under the barrel almost all the way to the reciever. So I do not have forend pressure but to answer you with a difinitive answer I will have him write me and I will relay that to you. Whatever he did it really shoots well. I told him to freefloat it but also said what ever he thought was best for the set up and his work is 80% with Mark V receivers and after market stocks.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I thought I would put up a final gallery of pictures exhibiting my 257-300Wby before it goes to the woods this final part of our hunting season.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

O.K. Now the inevitable question! What kind of barrel life do you expect? Big case/little hole means throat erosion. The standard 257 Wby can eat up a barrel in 1000 rounds or less! Just wondering!

Beartooth,

I've been watching and reading this very carefully, curious about your results. I have a project gun to develop ammo for this month and that's a 300 Wby necked to 264. I too will rely on RL-25 as I have in the past with similar expansion ratios. I'll probably have some specific questions when I get started, I'll PM you about your data.

EKC, about the barrel life of course it will be short but I read information years ago by Roy Weatherby and again here more recently by another gun smith about the shoulder shape, the double ogee, that was designed to keep high pressure vortices inside the case neck rather than our in the throat and this reduced throat errosion considerable. The are other concepts in this game that make me think that is correct. Have you heard of this phenomenon? It is the gas vortice (swirling effect) that does the damage when at high temp and pressure and these are more pronounced with lower espansion ratios. It is more this than just the volume of the powder charge, we certainly use more powder in many other calibers. The swept volume of the bore is so small that the gas has more time to form little tornados, I guess. Actually the pressure stays at a high level longer, also.

I've never really been an advocate of the high velocity cartridges such as the Wby's but I think Roy was a pretty bright guy in many ways, maybe he did discover something.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    O.K. Now the inevitable question! What kind of barrel life do you expect? Big case/little hole means throat erosion. The standard 257 Wby can eat up a barrel in 1000 rounds or less! Just wondering!
    A 257Wby does not eat up a barrel in 1000 rounds unless you are shooting high volume and doing it with a hot barrel. My 257Wby that I had for ten years before I sold it had over 1200 rounds and my friend has had it now for four seasons and it is still shooting great and that is after 300 more rounds according to him. My brother in law has over 1800 on his. With correct freebore I will get anywhere from 1000 to 1500 as long as I let the barrel cool after each shot. I did not and do not buy a weatherby for barrel life, I buy it to kill game quick and far off with lots of energy.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Beartooth,

I've been watching and reading this very carefully, curious about your results. I have a project gun to develop ammo for this month and that's a 300 Wby necked to 264. I too will rely on RL-25 as I have in the past with similar expansion ratios. I'll probably have some specific questions when I get started, I'll PM you about your data.

EKC, about the barrel life of course it will be short but I read information years ago by Roy Weatherby and again here more recently by another gun smith about the shoulder shape, the double ogee, that was designed to keep high pressure vortices inside the case neck rather than our in the throat and this reduced throat errosion considerable. The are other concepts in this game that make me think that is correct. Have you heard of this phenomenon? It is the gas vortice (swirling effect) that does the damage when at high temp and pressure and these are more pronounced with lower espansion ratios. It is more this than just the volume of the powder charge, we certainly use more powder in many other calibers. The swept volume of the bore is so small that the gas has more time to form little tornados, I guess. Actually the pressure stays at a high level longer, also.

I've never really been an advocate of the high velocity cartridges such as the Wby's but I think Roy was a pretty bright guy in many ways, maybe he did discover something.
    Murphy, I have come to the same conlusions because a hunting buddy of mine used his 257Wby on coyote for years and at his best count has over 2000 round through it now and it is still grouping just under an inch. Roy was a lot smarter than most want to give him credit for. I figure freebore is also part of it since independent tests in the 70's showed this to be a likely hood.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Beartooth; The intent of my post wasn't to hammer negatives toward your project. It will no doubt accomplish what your after.

You say you have seen them last as much as 2000 rounds and I have seen them toast in under a thousand...we'll leave it at that. There are so many variables involved that we can both be right....given different situations.

Murphy; The double radius Wby cases do give something to ponder. It makes sense that the gases would flow better around curves than abrupt angles. However at one time I had two take off barrels one from a 257 and the other from a 264 mag. The throats in both of these barrels looked like ugly sisters so who knows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast