Thread: kids "no-name" brand of atv's

Default kids "no-name" brand of atv's

Looking into buying my 8 year old son an ATV for x-mas. Does anyone know anything about the 110 "no-name" brands out there? Or any other help on what to get would be appreciated.

Default bought one a few years ago

bought a 125 MFC from the argo dealer a few years back. Vibrates so bad the kids won't ride it. paid $1200.00 live and learn the bright side is its in pristine condition. I wouldn't buy a no name unless I rode it somewhere to see what the top speed is and if it vibrates.

Default kids 4 wheeler

stop do not buy off brand china type stay with brand names like honda kaw yamaha pol being last I like yamaha the best call mike at yamaha house of yamaha at big lake great to deal with you will not get a better price or nps in fairbanks 1 800 478 1967 ask for colby or craig again great service I am a yamaha tech and mech tell them irondog sent you post a pm if you need more help

Default wow

I think that is kind of a good sences with the no name machines
    i dont have one but asked a buddy if he knew anything about them
    awhile back and got same response stay away i think i would look for slightly used good brand one before buying no name
    just my 2 cents

No namers can't be serviced around here. Some places sell the machines, but don't sell the parts for them.

I thought about it too; its tempting, they're less than a suzuki/AC/yammi, etc NEW, but I think I'd stick to a slightly used name brand.

Tim

some are cheaper than a power wheel... Kind of tempting just as a toy for my 5yo.

thanks for the input. I will be looking for a used brand name machine. Not worth the head ache in getting the others. Like mom always used to say, if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is

Default Buy name brand

As others have stated, stay away from the cheap imports. My buddy bought his kid a dirt bike and it is broken more often than not. The metal is cast and cheap, which breaks easily. The kick starter stripped it's teeth, the mounting brackets cracked, cable break, etc... And, you can't weld up cheap cast metal.
    In hindsight he regrets it.
    BK

Default Kid ATV

I bought my 8 year old kid a Polaris Sawtooth in the summer of 06. It's a 200cc, 2 wheel drive, automatic, four stroke machine. It really is perfect for her, not to big, easy to handle, but big enough that I can get on it and ride if I want to. I think I spent $2200 on it brand new. The thing I don't like about the name brand youth atv's is the fact that you can't take them through any kind of water. This is due to the fact that the air intake is out in front and only about 12" off of the ground. In Alaska you can't ride anywhere without going through a puddle. The Sawtooth is built lake a full size atv and the intake is up high where puddles wont effect your ride.

Default If you go "off brand"

be sure to check where the ends of the vent tubes are as well. I pulled both of an aquaintances brand new "brand X" rigs back from Jim Creek after they flooded out. Took a look and the vent for the crankcase headed up toward the frame through a rubber hose - that was an inch long!
    My grandson's Honda 90 has had no problems, he is good for "bottom of the seat" deep water (even if he isn't :-(
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Purchase one the correct size for your child too. Remember 15 years ago when a 200cc was an adult machine? The early big 4 wheelers were 175, 185, 200, 235, 250cc? Nothing bothers me more than seeing a young kid on a huge for them machine. Are kids born with more skill now days?

Default Machine size for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by dansvan View Post
    Purchase one the correct size for your child too. Remember 15 years ago when a 200cc was an adult machine? The early big 4 wheelers were 175, 185, 200, 235, 250cc? Nothing bothers me more than seeing a young kid on a huge for them machine. Are kids born with more skill now days?
    My child, 10 now, rides a 200cc machine as I mentioned above, but I have taken a lot of time to teach her the rights and wrongs on an ATV. I also never let her ride without me being right there with her, I set the pace, we are not going any faster than the little machines go and not riding in technical areas or situations. I believe that children should not be left on their own to ride any size machine, whether it is a 50cc or a 500cc. With proper training and supervision I believe that a child is completely capable of riding a 200cc machine. After all itís really no different than allowing a child to ride a horse by themselves. It doesn't matter if itís a Shetland pony or a quarter horse, they both have the capability of great speed and getting out of control but, you never hear anyone putting limitations on horse back riding for children.

I agree with the general consensus - stay away from off-brands. I bought my son an 07 Yamaha Grizzly 80, and it's the perfect machine for him to learn on. Sure, it was pricey but it will last long enough for all his siblings to learn to ride too. I agree with the poster above, by the way - kids should always be supervised while riding, regardless of machine size. Yamaha says my son is too young to ride an 80 CC machine. I say by the time he is "old enough" by Yamaha's standards, it will be too dangerous for him to ride due to the fact that it is too small, and the controls would be awkward. Who sets these age limits, anyway?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I would stay away from the "Putt Putts for Pee Wees" or so I've seen them advertised. Ever since I was probably 3 or 4, we were riding either the suzuki LT50 (which believe it or not belongs to AKmud) or a suzuki 80 taking them WAY back where we would go hunting through mud and swimming them through rivers, the whole shebang! If what other people are saying is true about them, I would definitely stick with name brand. I always thought if someone wasn't proud enough to put their name on it then it might be kind of sub-par...

Quote Originally Posted by dansvan View Post
    Purchase one the correct size for your child too.
    That's tought sometimes; I have an 8 year old and a 4.5 year old and don't want to buy two machines; how much use will a 50cc get before I have to buy a bigger bike? I'm looking at getting either an 80 or 90 cc for both of them; the younger child will have to ride with me until he grows into it I suppose.

Tim

I grew up in Alaska hunting, fishing, camping etc. I am one of those women that can probably fillet a fish faster than most men ha ha. My son in eight and he has already learned to shoot a .22 with my help and supervision. With me only weighing about 110 pounds I figured if I got a little bigger machine I could ride it while my son rides with my husband. I agree with the consensus that children should be supervised and taught correctly, wear safety gear, etc. Nothing bothers me more than seeing people put their children in jeopardy in any given situation.