Thread: Licensing question

Default Licensing question

I'm thinking of pulling my father in laws 10'6" Zodiak out of his basement & seeing if I can get his little outboard running so I can play with it a bit & maybe pull it behind a larger skiff to use for running ashore hunting.
    He says he never needed to license it on the Kenai. Is it small enough it is exempt or was he just lucky?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Just to be on the safe side, heres what I did once; Years ago my buddy tells me his late father had some kind of boat in a storage unit. I say, lets check it out. We find it, drag it home, clean it up, and then my buddy leaves town for months for his job. I take a discription to DMV of what the heck it is, they issue me a registration and new numbers for it. No boat titles in Alaska, so its treated like a "garage sale item" that you just bought. I told DMV the whole history of this vessel and my buddy being gone, etc, etc... They recommended putting it in my name since I was there, when he returned and the tag expired, he put it in his.
    I don't know if this is on track with what you had in mind, but point is you can get a set of numbers/tags with a hull number and a smile and your good to go.

Understand that from larger boats Myers, & thanks.
    I was wondering if ALL motorized boats need regesteration & tags or if one this small is exempt as my father in law seems to believe.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Licensing

It used to be when the the Coast Guard ran the licensing small boats like yours didn't need an AK number. Not any more. Our wise state bureaucrats sensed another revenue source and even your small craft requires you pay the state their sucre. I got a warning ticket with my 8' Achilles with 2 hp kicker. See DMV website

http://www.state.ak.us/dmv/reg/boat.htm

What Must Be Registered:

All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)

This probably isn't helpful for you either, but I'll throw it out there for others. One year they actually required CANOES to have the tag! Anything ten feet, including canoes were suppose to be registered. I actually registered mine and (I'm sure many others did also). That little rule didn't last but about a season. It was rediculus to think about all the canoes in Alaska leaning against some shed or tree, covered with birch sap having to be tagged! Now I have a sticker to remind me of this on my canoe. I think it cost ten bucks.

Here's a good one for ya... my BOAT HOUSE is required to be registered because it floats, and there's a "possibility that an auxiliary power unit could be installed."

Can anyone imagine cutting 8" link chain and strapping an outboard to one of the boathouses in Juneau? Alas, that is the fear of our geniuses in government here!

To answer the OP's question: yes, anything that floats and could possibly be designed to carry a motor needs to be registered with the DMV. I don't know the particulars of permits on the Kenai (if there are specific additional requirements IN the park areas?) but the DMV would be the place to start.

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks guys.
    Time to get an AK# (If I can get the kicker running!)
    Vance in AK.