• Yes

40 51.28%
  • No

39 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Steese Hiway Hunt become a Draw area

Default Should Steese Hiway Hunt become a Draw area

Just would like to see peoples views on if they think Steese Hiway Caribou hunt should turn into a draw hunt area...

I think most hunts in Alaska should be draw only with preference points.

Default steese

This hunt has been a meat hunt, kind of a state subsistence hunt so I don't think a draw is the answer. Maybe don't open if there are large
    numbers of animals by road. Run by emergency orders like dipnetting.

Quote Originally Posted by fshgde View Post
    This hunt has been a meat hunt, kind of a state subsistence hunt so I don't think a draw is the answer. Maybe don't open if there are large
    numbers of animals by road. Run by emergency orders like dipnetting.

Thats exactly how I feel about it, couldn't have said it better. Folks driving from 400 miles each way to harvest a meat bou off the road system dont make much sense to me either and surely adds to the chaos, but hey....to each his own.

NO,

Cancel the late season hunt altogether and let the numbers rebound to the 100k animals they are shooting for so they can open it up to a more liberal season early on.

Subsistence, driving a $7000 sled, $30,000 truck, and all the toys and gadgets you can ever want....uh huh...subsistence!

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    Subsistence, driving a $7000 sled, $30,000 truck, and all the toys and gadgets you can ever want....uh huh...subsistence!
    Is this classified as a subsistence hunt? I know people keep referring to it as a meat hunt, but from a management perspective, I'm pretty sure it's just a regular sport hunt.

I don't hunt this area, but all I'm hearing is bullet flying around peoples heads. I guess as soon as someones kid gets shot but some "sniper" shooting 1500 yard shots, we'll all think differently. Make it a permit area and limit the number of people hunting.

Well since I started this thread I figured I should add my comments also. I have always considered this a " meat hunt " also if I hadnt shot a bou on the slope, its kinda a last chance caribou hunt for the year unless you wait till early into the next year to do a hunt near coldfoot. I agree with some of the past replies on limiting the number of hunters and with that it will give a chance for the 40 mile heard to grow to bigger numbers which in return would or could creat a longer and better season. Every year its the same stories as this year if the bou are near the road. As some people would say we are just complaining but I do think people would look at if differently if someone were to get seriously injured or killed up there. Again I congradulate the hunters who were succesfull and can thank god that noone was hurt this past weekend. Thanks for all the replies

I voted No. Because I think establishing it as a Tier II area would be more appropriate. The preceding years records of demand and availability will bear this out. I think this and the Forty Mile Herd hunt will ultimately end up going Tier II very soon. Too many hunters and too little opportunity=recipie for such action.

mure tier II huh... That will fix it...

They need to do something. It was crazy out there. Some poor bugger got a bullet through his new sled. Luckily no one was hit. I'll never do that hunt again.

Quote Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
    They need to do something. It was crazy out there. Some poor bugger got a bullet through his new sled. Luckily no one was hit. I'll never do that hunt again.
    I was the guy who got a bullet through my sled. Two bullets actually.

Two holes through the wind shield, I guess those Polaris Dragons look like caribou. I am sure glad I was not sitting on it when it happened.

I've never done this hunt and probably never will, but I can't see favoring changing any harvest/registration hunt into a draw.

Tim

I have not done this hunt but I would like to. I haven't because of the number of hunters. There has to be a way to limit the number of hunters without going to draw. How I dont know.

Default sooner or later

someone will get shot and then something will be done. Either that or there will be more blood baths at Chicken and Steese and the numbers will crash just like they did back in the mid to late 90's.

Default Wow split

Interesting how the poll is going... practically a 50/50 split. It seems even though some don't endorse or support drawing permits they certainly don't consider the situation ideal, even for the type of hunt it is (caribou close to a road near a population center). Drawing permits would restrict opportunity to those who draw but would limit the number of hunters in the field and depending on how many permits were awarded would and could dramatically lengthen the open season for the hunt. If I had to choose between hundreds and hundreds of people in the field converging on just a few access points and ridges and shooting into groups of caribou with other hunters all around, verses applying for and maybe or maybe not getting a permit but if I did draw a permit knowing the hunt conditions would be much more ideal... I'd go for the drawing permit, resident only. I know drawing permits don't sit easy with some who appreciate the anyone can get a license and a registration permit and go, but with a limited resource and relatively easy access and more and more (or so it seemed) "participants", I'd prefer to toss my name into the hat with others and hope for a chance to have a safer, higher-quality hunting experience (even if some call it a "meat hunt"). Heck, I just think we are lucky to have caribou around and so close. They are one of my favorite animals and it's pretty cool just to be out and see them. Hey, if there was a drawing permit system for the Fortymile Herd then maybe the application fee money could be earmarked specifically for helping the herd grow through predator control, etc. :-) Anyhow, just my .02 cents ...

I have seen several comments so far as to "what happened" this last weekend.

Please enlighten us as to what the situation was that is driving this discussion. I got the "shot through the windshield" part, but what were the number of hunters, how many caribou (approx), how far from the road, how were they accessible etc...? Was it just a weekend warrior type thing?

More info will allow me to vote and comment

NEVERMIND! I found the one that explains what the hunt conditions were like! I can now vote!
    Last edited by KirovPDR; 12-04-2007 at 11:21. Reason: Found the info thread

Thumbs down no draw....

But something needs to be done. Maybe a special class for anyone wanting to hunt? Add a surcharge to the registration to cover the extra costs involved.

Hey it's the best of both worlds, folks can get their meat, kids can get that first kill (it appears many do this with this hunt) and hopefully the extra preparation/education about the hunt and needed safety will alert folks to the dangers that have existed in the past.

Thoughts?

Make it a kids hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Make it a kids hunt.

Oh that sounds good ,My neighbor has 6 kids and I have none ! Now that's fair.

If anything make it a hunt for the handicapped , And no I'm not handicapped nor is anyone I know. Mentally handicapped maybe but not physically
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast