View Poll Results: Rams harvested 2004-2007. Residents Only Please.

Voters
143. You may not vote on this poll
  • zero

74 51.75%
  • one

41 28.67%
  • Two

18 12.59%
  • three

4 2.80%
  • four

6 4.20%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resident Sheep Hunting Success Poll

Default Resident Sheep Hunting Success Poll

In light of the BOG proposal to limit sheep hunters to 1 ram every 4 years, I am curious to see what kind of success ODD hunters are having on sheep. I'm guessing the number of sheep hunters who kill more than 1 ram in a 4 year period is a very low percentage. Let's look at the most recent 4 year period 2004 - 2007. If you've sheep hunted during this period, how many rams have you killed? Non-residents should not participate in this poll.

Default 2 for 2

I hunted 2 times in the last 2 years.
    2 for 2.
    I am against the 1 in 4 yrs...
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

I have hunted 2 out of the last 4 years for sheep- I was successful on both hunts. I completely oppose the 1:4 proposal- and trust that the BOG will see through this very pro-guide, anti-resident proposal.

I have hunted 4 of the last 4 years. 1 ewe harvested, 0 rams. I oppose the 1-in-4 proposal.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

I have hunted each of the past four years, but was only able to do a real hunt once. I was successful once, but love having the opportunity to head to the sheep mountains in pursuit of rams even if not successful.

Default Oppose

I have been 4 for 4 the last four years, and definitely oppose the proposition. It seems the only hunters that this will impact are the resident hunters...how many non res, guided hunters will hunt sheep in our state more frequently than once every four years? The number of resident hunters that hunt every year, and harvest every year has to be minimal at best. Is this proposition to limit harvest numbers, or to limit the number of resident hunters in the field every year? I look forward to the reinstatement of a state wide sheep biologist by the fish and game.

Fullcurl,

I don't know how things have gone lately, but when I worked at ADF&G we used to keep a pretty good eye on how often the average sheep hunter went, and how often he killed. The "one every four years" notion was floating around even in those long-ago days. We were pretty well able to keep the idea "at bay" with the Department's data during that period. All the surveys we ever did showed that the "average sheep hunter" went every other year and killed a ram every other time he/she went hunting. Thus, the "normal" kill rate was one ram every four years on average. We argued that the only effect of the "one ram every four years" regulation would really have would be to keep those few sheep hunters who kill a ram almost every year out of the mountains. We never thought "one ram every four years" would be that useful an idea for lowering the harvest. It seemed like an unnecessary restriction on a few dedicated sheep hunters for not real population benefit.

I don't know if sheep hunting and sheep hunters have changed since I last looked at this issue.

If you're interested in polling, I'd suggest that you ask folks how often they have hunted over the last ten years, and how many rams they have killed. I'd be interested in the answer. So would Alaska FNAWS. We'd be willing to poll our membership or put the question up on our new website...which is getting better by the week. Let me know if I can help.

Regards,

Wayne Heimer

Default anti 1 in 4

I am against the 1 in 4 year proposal. There are a lot of sheep hunters who are looking for a certain type of sheep(whether it is a 40 incher, a double broomed with massive horns, etc). These hunters make the choice to not kill a sheep if it does not meet what their criteria. Often this decision is to set their personal standards is made after they have harvested a sheep. These hunters would be disadvantaged from hunting if there is a 1 in 4 proposal passed. Sheep country is a wonderful place to spend your time hunting in the fall and you should be allowed to keep hunting, because you never know when you might find the "one" you are looking for.

Default What are we doing?

I am guessing that the person that proposed this is from out-of-state or is a real HASS! minus the H.

I am going to propose to BOG that only Alaskan residences have a say on what/who/when etc.... happens to our resources.

I am also going to propose that all guides that take Alaskan resources (our big game) must be an Alaska resident. It makes me sick that a non-resident guide can take a non-resident sheep/goat/brown bear hunting when in fact they can't hunt these themselves.

Why have we allowed this to happen? We need to take a stand and stop putting up with this type of crap.

My best friend is 1 for 3 I'm zero for zero sooo...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Whats The Problem???

I am guessing that the person that proposed this is from out-of-state or is a real HASS! minus the H.
    I UNDERSTAND IT IS GUIDE FROM OUT OF STATE

I am going to propose to BOG that only Alaskan residences have a say on what/who/when etc.... happens to our resources.
    SEE ABOVE PROBLEM
    I am also going to propose that all guides that take Alaskan resources (our big game) must be an Alaska resident. It makes me sick that a non-resident guide can take a non-resident sheep/goat/brown bear hunting when in fact they can't hunt these themselves.
    SEE ABOVE PROBLEM
    Why have we allowed this to happen? We need to take a stand and stop putting up with this type of crap.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Hows This Idea

If this proposal should pass, then maybe it should be amended so guides can take 1 hunter every 4 years. (just some additional food for thought)

Default i have been fortunate

as far as the polls go....i have only hunted sheep in 2005 and 07 and harvested both times....i'm sure my batting average will go down as i get more experiences though......i had nice weather both times
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default 1 in 4

About what I thought the results would be so far. Over 3/4 of the hunters are either 0 or 1 ram. Actually I thought that number would be even higher. We must have a good collection of skookum sheep hunters here.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Default Good, or...

lucky. Either way, its obvious that everyone that has posted opposes the 1:4 proposal.

As has been said, its all about opportunity. As a resident, its not all about killing a sheep every year, its about having the opportunity to be in the mountains with the possibility of harvesting a sheep. As the poll has indicated thus far, people aren't successful in harvesting a sheep every year- but I would wager that most of us have great experiences in the mountains every year with the opportunity of harvesting.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    Either way, its obvious that everyone that has posted opposes the 1:4 proposal.
    But will everyone who says they oppose it here take the time to submit written testimony or to go in person? I sure hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by sockeye1 View Post
    As a resident, its not all about killing a sheep every year, its about having the opportunity to be in the mountains with the possibility of harvesting a sheep.
    Well said. My thoughts exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    But will everyone who says they oppose it here take the time to submit written testimony or to go in person? I sure hope so.

Thats the biggest problem Brian, many of us cant just leave work and travel 350 miles to attend these long drawn out events. I wish they would come up with a statewide ballot system or something in which you dont have to be in Anchorage and burn up several work days to participate. It sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaCub View Post
    Thats the biggest problem Brian, many of us cant just leave work and travel 350 miles to attend these long drawn out events.
    I can't take the time off of work, but my understanding is that the written testimony really does work and that the BoG members read and pay attention to what people say. I sure hope so, and that is how I'll be testifying.

Default Written testimony

You can write in your testimony and submit it online.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast