Thread: Video camera's

Default Video camera's

What is better to record on, 3" DVD or MEMORY STICK? What is the advantages and disadvantages of both? I have a few picked out here are a few choices...

http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Sony_Ha...X7/View_Specs/

http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Sony_Ha...X5/View_Specs/

http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Sony_Ha...C5/View_Specs/

Default camcorders

It looks like the three cameras you posted links to all shoot in HD video, and store stills on a card. the HDR-UX7 has the best resolution for stills. The video is the same for all three.

It depends on what you want to do with the video. If you want to shoot, plug it into your tv to see what you've recorded, using the DVD format is okay. If you have HDTV the HD camera would be cool. Really not needed if you have SDTV though. However if you want to be able to plug the camera into your computer and do some editing the mini dv tape is a better choice. Mini dv is much easier to load to your computer and deal with.

Both cameras I have are mini dv format. I do a lot of editing on my Mac.

Hope this helps a little.

Ken

Guess I should of added my intentions, sry. I want to take good quality video of general stuff, hunting trips, fishing trips, family and most of all, my possetions! I would like to plug into the tv and view and that would be the HD, 1080i tv that I have to go and rebuy now . I would also like to share my video with others online of hunting/fishing trips and such. I would like one that takes desent pics to. I am very illitrate to what all the #" and tech talk on video and camera equipment, so please bare with me.

If you're going to do any computer editing at all the mini dv is a better choice. Another consideration is the connectivity to the computer. Firewire(IEEE 1394) is by far the best for transferring video to the computer. Way more reliable than usb 1 or 2.
    I just got a new SD mini dv camera this year. I decided cause I wasn't into tv shows that the standard definition would be fine.

Another good idea for recording the home contents-for insurance purposes-are some of the new database programs. Some even have a window with a frame so you can take a quality photo of the item and import it into the frame. It takes lots of time to complete a database such as this one, but every single item in your home will be recorded, including its serial number, model number, description, a photo, date of purchase, cost, store purchased from, etc.

Some of the database programs are expensive, but worth every penny depending on what you want to use it for, and I prefer this mode instead of video, since it allows me to record lots of details than just a photo or video.