Thread: Took my .375Win Contender to the range

Default Took my .375Win Contender to the range

I bought it at an auction a couple of years ago and this thing is incredibly accurate. Unfortunately, I've only shot paper with it so far. The over-the-counter Winchester ammo (200gr) shoots 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards off the sand bags.

Statistics:
    T/C Contender G2 Stainless w/ 14" factory ported barrel
    T/C 2.5x-7x scope in TSOB rings

This thing is a lot nicer to shoot than any of my revolvers (.357 & .41 Mag Taurus Tracker Titaniums). There's almost no muzzle jump and the recoil pushes back against my palm laterally.

I'll try to attach a picture of the target and I'll take a picture tonight of the pistol and post it tomorrow.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi Deathray

Your cartridge is a very good one on the contender frame. With the right bullet it will take pretty much anything that is edible here in the great state. Because of the growing numbers of big bear here in Kodiak I was feeling a bit undergunned , so designed my own cartridges on the Encore platform. I hunt with hand guns exclusively. 907-539-2268

Neal

You have an excellent combination there. I have owned and shot Contenders and now Encores for years, and some of the calibers are the most accurate I have seen or shot in any gun. My .35 Remington 14" barrel is by far the most accurate of all of them. It will shoot in the same hole at 100 yaeds all day long IF I do my part. My .223 is close, as is my .22 Hornet. I had a .45 Colt that was a fine shooter, but traded it away.

As long as you don't try to make that round something it isn't, it will be great for hunting up here. Although a bit anemic for the big bears, it will cleanly take most anything else, if you use the right bullets and ensure your shot is in the vitals. With a single-shot, it is sometimes impossible to reload and get a good, steady second shot off before the animal gets out of range or sight. That is the sport and challenge of single shots. I love it myself.

You can reload this round to exceed the factory ballistics and performance while staying in the safe pressure range. It is a great round for the Contender.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Being a single-shot, I'd never take it into a situation where I needed it as a self defense weapon against bears. But I think it would be awesome to take caribou, blacktail, black bear, etc... with that as my primary firearm.

It's actually a little scary how accurate it is. I have several rifles that don't shoot 1" groups consistently (my .375 ultra mag is a 1 3/4" gun), and my contender is only wearing a 2.5-7x scope (I normally shoot it at around 5X).

I'll try to remember to take some pictures tonight, it's really a sharp looking pistol.

Got to love those Thompson. I have few and they sure are a pleasure to shoot. My favorite one is a 45/70 open sight I can shoot 1" group at 50 yds.

Welcome to the world of specialty pistols.

The caliber will take care of most of your hunting needs. Because of the large bears here in Kodiak I feel a bit undergunned and went to the Encore platform.

Enjoy and Merry Christmas

Neal