Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 RHino 660 vs 2008 700 EFI

Default 2007 RHino 660 vs 2008 700 EFI

Looking for some input on whether I should go with the better deal and get the 2007 660 RHino or spend the extra money for the 2008 700 EFI? Anyone with the 660 or other have any complaints and wish they had gotten one with EFI?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, I don't have either but I do have a 660 griz that has the exact same running gear as the 660 Rhino. On paper the specs of the 700 look much better. 686, EFI beefed up tranny, and most importantly they lowered the gearing. It REALLY needed it in reverse especially. Reverse is now as low as low range where as before is was about equal to high range. This lower gearing is reflected in the top speed of the 700 griz being lower than the 660 griz also. Not that top speed matters but it shows that the gearing makes a difference. The 660 grizz's and Rhinos are a little high geared. The 450 Rhinos have lower gearing and from guys I've talked to actually turn taller tires a little better unless you put a clutch kit in. Which I have done with my griz, 27's and a clutch kit. Made a huge difference.

I have Rhino fever and if I was in your shoes I'd figure out a way to buy the 700. If you buy the 660 and add some taller tires then you'll need a clutch kit. Or maybe even want to add a cdi box. With the 700 I bet a guy could put 27's on it and just drive it. If a guy wants to really save some dough I say look real hard at the 450 Rhino. What's the price difference between the 660 and 700 you are looking at?

My .02.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default $ difference

$9,199 for the 07 660 and $10,500 for the 08 700. I think I am sold on the 700 for the EFI and lower gear reverse. But it's tough because for $9799 I can get the 660 w/3k lb winch already installed. By the time you add on the extras they get spendy quick. I am also a little torn between the Polaris Ranger XP and the Rhino. The poor reputation of the Polaris is a big factor. But I like that it can carry 3 people on the seat since there are 3 of us in the family. I would have to add a seat to the back of the Rhino just to be able to transport all 3 of us. But also trying to figure just how often I will need to transport 3 instead of the usual me and gear. Big decisions.

Steve

Just throwing out a couple of things to wonder about here. As far as the ability to seat 3 in the Polaris, it seems a lot of the riding will be on trails where you need elbow room to negotiate the ruts and three abreast might be really close quarters.
    Next on the Yamaha Grizzly 700 for 2008 I believe that the power steering is an option. Is this the case for the Rhino too or is it available at all? I am 100% sold on my power steering on the Grizzly 700.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    I am also a little torn between the Polaris Ranger XP and the Rhino. The poor reputation of the Polaris is a big factor.

Steve
    What problems are the XP's having?

Quote Originally Posted by Contender View Post
    Just throwing out a couple of things to wonder about here. As far as the ability to seat 3 in the Polaris, it seems a lot of the riding will be on trails where you need elbow room to negotiate the ruts and three abreast might be really close quarters.
    Next on the Yamaha Grizzly 700 for 2008 I believe that the power steering is an option. Is this the case for the Rhino too or is it available at all? I am 100% sold on my power steering on the Grizzly 700.
    No power steering on the Rhino for 2008. I have a 2007 Rhino 660 and a Grizzly 700fi w/EPS. I love them both. The Rhino is great but they can get pricey when you start adding options. I dropped $4,000.00 on upgrades on my Rhino when I bought it. I am still adding stuff as I type this post. Most of my upgrades are for looks but I just started adding performance parts. I added a "Power Tip" exhaust tip for more flow, a Uni Filter to the intake for more air flow, and a Hunterworks "Tri-Fire" CDI. The Tri-Fire is the best upgrade of all. In have a couple hundred pounds of aftermarket gear and can still run 45mph even with the 66" snowplow attached. Stock speed is limited to 40mph. The CDI even includes a switch to run in reduced power for when someone new wants to drive it. The next performance part I want to add will be a machine sheave and lighter clutch weights. This will give me about 6mph more and reduce rpms at higher speeds. This will also quiet down motor noise in the cab a bit from stock. I would take the Rhino over the polaris. I find that my Rhino is too big for some spots I ride. The Ranger would never get near those places. As far as the bench seat on the Ranger...Elbow room would be an issue. You will also slide around on corners with the bench seat. The Rhino's bucket seats nullify this issue. They work great. Rhino all the way unless you need to carry really heavy loads and will not be taking it on the trails. Good luck.
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

Default 08 700efi it is!!!

With regards to the Polaris problems, researching on any forum will reveal that the Polaris has far more complaints about quality than any other model. The yamaha has many more satisified customers. The new Polaris razor for example gets horrible reviews. Not to mention the consistant complaints about the local (Anchorage area) dealer service for polaris. I have owned a Honda 4 wheeler which was plagued with problems and have owned a yamaha motorcycle which performed flawlessly. So that tends to lean me more towards the Yamaha even though I know it will cost me more money to outfit it to my needs over the Polaris. With that being said I was trying to rationalize the cost difference and after doing some more research I am convinced that the 700efi rhino is the best choice. They solved some of the complaints about the lack of power in reverse and with the EFI it should help with the cold start problems as I plan on using it plow my driveway in the winter time. Now it's just a matter of coming up with the money. The new boiler and hot water heater just made a real dent in the chance of getting one very soon. Who knows, I have a birthday coming up in the near future!!!

You might want to look at the new Artic Cat Prowler XTX. It is 700cc EFI. Better ground clearance, tighter turn radius, and I'm told will run around 60. The rear weight limit is listed at 350 lbs but that is to get it around the 40 horse limit for UTV's. They are supposed to arrive in January and I am hoping to convince the wife we can't live without one. If anyone else has any input or knowledge on the new XTX I would like to hear it.

No experience with the rhino but I will say that our lightly used rangers we had at work made awful sounds! They always seemed to work but every time I drove it I was afraid something was gonna break! We had two and they were only used for maintenance around a hospital. Just hauling tools and mulch for projects. I wouldn't want to head 30-40 miles into the bush with one. The bench seat is nice for carrying three but I doubt it is as comfortble as the Rhino. It definately will not keep you planted when riding rough country. I would check out the XTX but I think I would go with the Yamaha for reliability based on their reputation.

Default 2008

I have the 2008 Rhino 700 FI. awesome machine...
    Psalm 18:34
    He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

Which model did you get? What about upgrades and a few pics!?!?
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default 08 700

I've got about 75 miles on my new 700 that I picked up last week, I have only been in a 660 one time so I'm not going to compare but I will say that even with 27"s on it it feels stronger on the bottom and in the mid range. I love this thing, I'm a long time Argo guy and I know that there will be times I'll miss it (1 week in sept.) but the other 90% of the time this thing is a kick, it's smooth, it's quiet, and it turns. I know so guys are afraid of the EFI but I have been running EFI sleds for a long time now and wouldn't own anything else, I think they have it down......it works. goodies so far include 12x8 American Eagle wheels, 27x11x12 IPT 589's all the way around, orange maire plastic w/fender flares, 3000lb winch, J-Strong top with lights and stereo, J-Strong half doors w/soft uppers, J-Strong rear dust cover, I'm building my own glass windshield, already have a wiper and washer kit, and next week Rhinogear should have the new heaters out of the 08's.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: bmp 0.bmp (900.1 KB, 148 views)
    • File Type: bmp 7.bmp (900.1 KB, 110 views)

Nice! What's the offset on those wheels?

I didn't measure them but when I talked to American Eagle they told me the offset was just under 4". they are brand new and very hard to find right now, Bob Walker at River and Sea is Soldotna got them for me and has also got set up to be a dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    I didn't measure them but when I talked to American Eagle they told me the offset was just under 4". they are brand new and very hard to find right now, Bob Walker at River and Sea is Soldotna got them for me and has also got set up to be a dealer.
    I wonder what he meant by that. Usually the manufacturer will designate the offset as 5+2 or 2+5 or 3+4 or 4+3, etc.

I was just curious. How much wider did it make the stance? It looks great and stable too. I like that burnt orange.

Snyd, what I meant was backspacing, when I asked them about offset I didn't get the typical 2+5, 5+2 answer, they told me that the backspacing was just under 4" ,they list the wheels as having a -12mm offset which would make them something like 3.6+4.4. I also put 11/2" wheels spacers on the rear to make it track right, I think it's about 10" wider.

Thumbs up 2008 Rhino vs. 2007...and others

Steve, I have owned an 06 Rhino that we purchaced in 05 and we used it more for the fun factor than work. We just sold it to buy the new 08 700 EFI. Prior to buying the first Rhino we did a lot of homework (online, traveling to test each UTV, work vs. fun factor, etc.)
    We found that the Rhino won in a big way. Not to down the other machines, but shopping around pays off. The Ranger was up on our list, however, when you look at what you'll use it for, some things pop up (yea you can haul 1000 lbs. in the bed, but then you lose A TON of your steering ability, I know this from hauling steel for a living, plus the bench seat in a lot of situations does not work out well, and the steering wheel is in an akward fixed position, and the bulkiness of the machine).The Prowler...well let's just say it's looks good, but functional...no, and it has way too much plastic where metal should be, lots of pieces will break too soon with normal use. The new Polaris RZR is very cool and I was REALLY looking forward to checking it out first hand, but after just visiting the latest International Motorcycle Show this weekend I was shocked to see yet again the lack of quality in the features I thought would be awesome (plastic underbelly, plastic skid plates, really flimsy passenger T-grab bar, plastic rockers, V-shape in roll cage to allow a tree to get caught in, plus other things that surprised me for what it was supposed to be. The new Kawasaki Teryx was only new competitor at the show that was even close to the Rhino. Downsides again were the plastic rockers and underbelly, other than that it's a close second.
    Bottom line: For the money, the features of the new 2008 Rhino 700 EFI is well worth it when you break down the cost of what it has over the 2007!!! I know this message is long, but in short, I hope it helps

so what make the 08 700 so much better than the 07 660? I too am looking at buying.

Quote Originally Posted by sweet03cobra View Post
    so what make the 08 700 so much better than the 07 660? I too am looking at buying.
    700 (686) EFI
    Stainless Exhaust, quieter also
    Lower geared in L,H and reverse. 660's both Griz and Rhino are high geared
    4 wheel disk brakes
    airbox is higher and up front
    sound deadening. I guess it's quite a bit quieter
    bigger better steering wheel
    cup holders and better handles for passenger

I know that on the 700 griz the tranny, axles, drivelines and cv's are beefed up also. Not sure but I think it's the same with the Rhino 700

I picked up an 08 700 EFI this summer. The model I got was the sport (comes in gray and has a nicer suspension set up). I would like to add some spacers behind the wheels to widen it up just a bit, anyone ever driven a Rhino with these?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast