Thread: High Wind Cold Temp Douglas Deer Hunting

Default High Wind Cold Temp Douglas Deer Hunting

I planned on deer hunting tomorrow on Douglas Island here in Juneau, but now winds are supposed to be 40-60 mph, and single digit temps. What to do? I moved here 18 mos ago, and this really doesn't happen in Tennessee. Advice very appreciated. I'm thinking they are going to be in low spots of heavily wooded areas. How do deer respond to different types of weather up here?

I would stick to hunting the old growth, temps will generally be warmer inside those areas where I think you'd find them hold up.

kingfisherktn

Sit @ home and drink coffee..

On Kodiak Island deer are very jumpy and difficult to stalk in strong, gusty and unpredictable winds. Onelung is right: if it blows 40-60 there is no reason to be out deer hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    On Kodiak Island deer are very jumpy and difficult to stalk in strong, gusty and unpredictable winds. Onelung is right: if it blows 40-60 there is no reason to be out deer hunting.
    I don't know Southeast, but I picture it to be something like the rainforest on the west side of Afognak as opposed to Kodiak. On Afognak we found great success still hunting the timber when it was blowing. One day the winds were 75+, but inside the forest it was perfectly still. The deer were inside the wind break, and we did quite well moving slowly through the heavy cover.

My main concern right now would be the noise in the woods.

We went from it being wet, to 20s and teen temps overnight so everything froze, and a lot of the woods is going to have hore frost making it very loud.

Remember - Douglas Island is THE hardest hit area in Alaska as far as deer go. The deer are smart, so making the minimal amount of noise in these conditions is going to be crucial..

I'd stick to low lying creek beds with running water as everything else will be froze and they'll need a water source and these areas will most likely be fairly sheltered as well.

It was freaking cold today, freaking cold like the coldest I've been since I moved to Juneau, I'd bet well below zero with the wind chill brrrrr...

Did see a guy with a goose while trying to take pictures of the sunset out on the flats, I bet they didn't wanna fly today...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

What camera are you using mainly anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I don't know Southeast, but I picture it to be something like the rainforest on the west side of Afognak as opposed to Kodiak. On Afognak we found great success still hunting the timber when it was blowing. One day the winds were 75+, but inside the forest it was perfectly still. The deer were inside the wind break, and we did quite well moving slowly through the heavy cover.

You're right on Brian, that's exactly how we hunted POW.

kingfisherktn

Same experience as Brian and Kingfisherktn. They'll get out of the wind. In my experience, even when it's calm in the timber the wind is still making a racket in the treetops overhead. It actually made stalking easier, provided you used your head and watched where you put your feet.

a lot of the woods is going to have hore frost making it very loud

I hunted Douglas on Saturday...this was exactly the problem. It was like that in the meadows, and it was like that in the timber. Wind wasn't a problem in the timber, but it was impossible to be quiet. EVERY step was *CRUNCH*...

Oh well...it was a nice day anyways...

Default -30 Chill Factor

Living here only 18 months, be extremely careful in these conditions. There is very little margin for error when it is this cold. My advice, wait untill later this week when it warms up and probably snows. Good Luck

Yeah looks like Wednesday theyre forecasting for some snow maybe...

Default Thanks... My Day

Okay, it was very cold, but once in the trees the wind wasn't much of a factor. It was very difficult to move quietly, every step was CRUNCH, the ground is frozen, the moss is frozen, the grass is frozen... I just moved as slowly and carefully as I could. I still enjoyed my day, even though I did not connect, and will be back out on my next day off. To a different area. Thanks for all the advice, I'm trying to be careful up here cause I know that things can go badly in a short period of time, and then get worse.

Well thats cool that you made it out, too bad you didnt connect though!

Default We tried it...

I went out on Sunday, cold, windy and loud in the woods. There had to be a 15 degree temperature difference between the meadows @ 1000 feet and the beach. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just cold and windy, but the fact that our snow is over 10 days old, and the ground is frozen so hard that you can't find fresh animal tracks makes it difficult to find the areas and elevation the deer are using

We're normally pretty successful at finding deer, and I don't normally give up until darkness forces me too--but yesterday we called it a day at 11:00 AM. It just seemed there was too much working against us, between the noisy woods, and the difficulty tracking/finding poop etc. I'll try again with either warmer temps or some more snow, hopefully we'll get both.

Quote Originally Posted by OneLunG View Post
    What camera are you using mainly anyways?
    Canon 400D with a variety of lenses, still waiting to have the money for a half decent telephoto though... Mostly now I have a 28-135 F5.6 IS on there...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I commited to Nikon and already debating about upgrading to a D300....I'm just likin that camera...

Wink

Deer still have to eat. If I was hunting i"de forget hunting the early AM, and hunt the late morning til sunset, the warmest part of the day? No they don"t like those conditions, look for them on the , lee side ,of the hills, about 2/3 "S of the way up using the cover as a windbreak, bedded with the wind at their backs, and their eyes looking where they can't smell. If those conditions last any length of time any food source will draw the deer like a magnet! Even in super cold/ high winds, some of their, skidishness, subsides when those conditions become the , normal, ones.Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30