Thread: Struck out again

Default Struck out again

Took my nephew out again, and once again didn't see a single hare. We parked at the Tailrace and headed upstream probably a mile and a half. We alternated between breaking brush and walking silently along the edge of the riverbank while looking into the woods. Nothing. It was really windy, though, so I suppose the hares may have been even more hidden than usual. The kid is taking it surprisingly well, as last year with ice fishing he was just focused on success. He still had fun, as we stopped to target shoot for a while, but man...I sure would like to get the kid on a hare or grouse. It'll have to wait until January now, though, as he's leaving town.

Did anyone else get out today?

Too bad you can't get right back out the moment the wind quits. Major weather improvements bring them from cover in a hurry.

I went out to sutton area to predator hunt last night. Couldn't even get as response on the locator howl. The wind picked up while I was heading out pretty much new it was going to be a wasted trip. Don't feel bad about it though there was a little bit of snow and the crecent moon had everything lit up and the stars were awesome. Did see a few shooting stars which were amazing. The wind was unerving with all the sounds in the dark kind of creepy. Sorry you weren't able to get him on any game I will keep looking for promising spots. There are a few areas I go to that are much more accessable when the ground is frozen. If you have a sled it might be worth it to go after ptarmigan up above the tree line.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    If you have a sled it might be worth it to go after ptarmigan up above the tree line.
    That'll probably be my plan in February or March. We may head out across the Denali Highway, as I know we can get into some birds there. Or perhaps closer to home? I've got some ideas, but it'll depend on weather and snowfall.

Default No Hares

No Hares, But did get a couple of grouse over the weekend.

another place to try is the area of one of the very few archery only black bear hunts in the state....
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.