Thread: I need some help gun lovers....

Default I need some help gun lovers....

I need a little help on prices you think my guns are worth. There is a couple I have no idea price wise, but to me these are hairloums that I cant even think about puting a price on.

30-40 Krag bolt action side loader.

.410 Savage Model 94 (i belive its the 94) single shot. very old gun

20GA. Ithica Model 99 Featherlight Auto

I have no idea how old the Ithica is, it was a gift and was in great shape.

Thanks for all your help.

Curt

It depends on condition and how much they may have been modifed.

The 30-40 Krag for instance, is it in full military shape or is it a sporter?

I think that a good Ithaca semi-auto scatter gun would be worth at least $350 I had a model 51 that brought that much as a selling price. I have also had a few model 37s which are great shotguns. I have never heard of a model 99 Ithaca...

As for the Savage (Stevens) model 94. They were made from before WWII up until 1959. There was a youth model called the 94Y. The adult size was $28.95 in 1959 while the youth model was two dollars more.

It seems like they were Marketed as Stevens, also Stevens Springfield, Savage-Stevens, and Savage. The ads right after WWII say Stevens Springfield, The Ads in 1959 say Savage, So the name stamped on them cahnged some time in there.

Please note that there was a Model 94A, a 94B, and a 94C. Those were made up until fairly recently. I think there is or was even a Model 940 or 9400 as an updated model.

An older 410 Stevens or Savage in nice shape is worth $100. Not so great it might be a $75 gun.. IF, it was a pre-WWII 410 in nice shape it would be worth at least $200. But it is probably not since it carries the Savage name.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    It depends on condition and how much they may have been modifed.

The 30-40 Krag for instance, is it in full military shape or is it a sporter?

I think that a good Ithaca semi-auto scatter gun would be worth at least $350 I had a model 51 that brought that much as a selling price. I have also had a few model 37s which are great shotguns. I have never heard of a model 99 Ithaca...

As for the Savage (Stevens) model 94. They were made from before WWII up until 1959. There was a youth model called the 94Y. The adult size was $28.95 in 1959 while the youth model was two dollars more.

Please note that there was a Model 94A, a 94B, and a 94C. Those were made up until fairly recently. I think there is or was even a Model 940 or 9400 as an updated model.

An older 410 Stevens or Savage in nice shape is worth $100. Not so great it might be a $75 gun..
    Thanks, all guns were in great shape and the 30-40 Krag was full military style. The Ithica was a "featherlight" model, it loaded from the botom and ejected the shells through the bottom as well. Three really neat guns to me as they were handed down from great mentors. They are priceless, but have to prices to saticfy the troopers/insurance co.

Thanks again.....

Default Use replacement value

Curt- do NOT go by what condition the guns were in or what they may have brought you at the local pawn shop. For insurance purposes, you need to use the replacment value. So get on the net or go to the gun shop and get your dollar figures for what it will take to replace the gun with a new one. For the models that are out of production, you'll need to use replacement value of the similar current model or if it had antique value check with an antique gun dealer as to the replacement cost.

I've been through this and it goes for all your stuff. Do not make your lost property list based on what you could have sold your used item for. You need to use the actual dollar amount of what it will take for you to go down to the store right now and purchase the new one. That goes for the guns, TV, ammo, everything that was stolen. If the insurance guy says otherwise, he's trying to work you over in favor of the insurance company. You give him the high numbers. If they refuse to pay some of it, so be it, but start high and negotiate down as needed. If you don't, then you'll start low and negotiate down from there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default values

Don't know much about the civilian guns you listed but with a little legwork on the keyboard you can check around the auction sites like Gunbroker or Auction Arms. The problem is you'll have to check on and keep track of the "completed" sales because many times the asking price is never met and the guns are pulled after a while or the reserves if any are reduced over time as the seller pulls down to meet the market. Some guns are uncommon enough that it may be tough to find comparable guns that have sold. In that case the suggestion about replacement cost of closest new version may be the best bet. The Krag.... if the bore is good, the mechanics are good, it's all original and the over all condition is good then quite a few of those change hands on the internet sites. I've watched those for a few years and the ones similar to yours, if your condition grading is accurate or is what I think you're saying it is, run at minimum somewhere $500 to $1000. You'll have to check the grading system used by the site or seller to determine how to compare yours. Remember an NRA grade of "Good" isn't very good by most standards. And, some sellers ignore most standardized grading systems.

Mark

Kurt, these listings are from the 17th Edition of Blue Book of Gun Values, copyright 1996:

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    ....30-40 Krag bolt action side loader.
    "Krag-Jorgensen, U.S. magazine military rifle, manufactured 1892-1902.....There have been many comversions of Krag-Jorgensen rifles - many of which are hard to identify. As a rule, these conversions are not as desirable as these specific models listed below........"

Values of the various models go from as high as $4000 at 100% condition to as low as $155 for 60% condition.

No model 94 listed in Savage shotguns.

No Ithaca model 99 listed. A model 51A Featherlight Standard was listed among semi-autos, and values ranged from $285 (vented rib, 100%) down to $135 (no vented rib, 60% condition).

The current prices on military US Krag rifles is between $450 and $900 for a standard military long rifle depending on the year and the condition.
    Militray rifles are my thing and I would not think twice about paying $800 for a very nice Krag from certain years.

The military Krag Carbines start at $1,400 and go up from there.

Do you still have access to them and you are planning for the future, or have you already lost them?

Did / does your Ithaca shotgun look like this?

If so it is the model 51 Featherlight. They go for about $350 in good shape. But the M-51 semi autos eject out the side. Are you aure it was not a model 37 Pump? they load and eject out the bottom...

If the old single shot 410 was really an old model 94. It will have the Stevens name on it and probably not Savage.
    Last edited by Float Pilot; 01-27-2008 at 16:07.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    I need a little help on prices you think my guns are worth. There is a couple I have no idea price wise, but to me these are hairloums that I cant even think about puting a price on.

30-40 Krag bolt action side loader.
    This one has alot of "If's" Many manufacturers, conditions, years, etc. For insurance purposes I'd say $700-$1,000, depending on the above variables.

I'd value it at $100 replacement cost.

That's gotta be an Ithaca Mod. 37 Featherlight Pump, I'd value it at $750 replacement cost.

I have no idea how old the Ithica is, it was a gift and was in great shape.

Thanks for all your help.

Curt
    Comments inserted.

The Ithica 20GA I have been told by the person who gave it to me was around the 1950's era, It was a "AUTO" that ejected the shells out the bottom where you also loaded the gun at.

The .410 is from the 1930ish era from what I can find talking with family.

The 30-40 Krag was around 1906 era and was in what I would call 90% tip top shape. Zero rust, barley any fading of the blueing, no cracks in the stock and I shot this rifle regulary. Matter of fact, this rifle was the best shooter I owned, the thing drove tacks.

Thanks for you help in this matter.

Curt

P.S. Float Pilot, I met you this spring at the air show in anch, on SUPERCUBS.ORG I am "AKCUBDREAMER".

Default Krag

Again about the Krag. IF the bore is top shape and the rifle has the correct, decent wood and has not been re-blued or altered in any way and judging by your condition statement...you're looking more in the NRA "Excellent+/-" range.... the current prices gleaned or "replacement value" if you will, are more in the $1000-$2000 range. Whether the bean counters see it that way or not is another matter. That rifle is well worth hanging on to and protecting and keeping in top shape.