Thread: Stalking aminal?

Default Stalking aminal?

Iím looking for information on stalking animal. Is there any good bow hunting book on stalking?

The best I've found has been out of print for a long time, but you can still find it in used book stores. It's "Shots at Whitetail Deer" by Lawrence Koller. There's only a chapter or so on stalking (he calls it "still hunting"), but his methods opened the door for me a long time ago, and they've worked on every other species I've tried in addition to deer.

Just plain old common sense and strategy with no sales pitch for new gear. Gotta love that. Kinda puts a nostalgic tear in your eye, compared to the gear-hype balderdash being written today.

G. Fred Asbell (noted trad archer) has a book out (probably 10ish yrs old) that I believe is called "Stalking & still hunting. The ground hunters bible".
    Great book as I recall.
    Like the book BrownBear mentoned, it's not a "moose", or "Alaskan" book, but the rules still apply.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Anchorage, Alaska

Default The Tracker

Hello Tom,

This book is not about still hunting, but you might check out a copy of The Tracker, by Tom Brown. The guy is legendary when it comes to tracking skills. I don't consider myself to be an expert tracker by any means, but it is a basic skill of most big-game hunting.

The problem with one-shot kills is that you rarely get a chance to practice your tracking and blood-trailing!

Also I wrote some things about this in my float hunting book, which the publisher is telling me has now been printed (finally). It is in the shipping process right now, and will hopefully make it out by Christmas.

Hope it helps!

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

It appears as if tha book "Shots at Whitetail Deer" by Laurence Koller that you recommend has been re published and is available new for $29.95 at

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm interested to see any changes.

Circle, AK.

Default Stalking and still hunting

By Fred Asbell is a good book, Tom Brown is Ok. too but I think he's a little full of himself but there's still some good info in his books. The best thing to do is just get out there and practice even if your not hunting, see a moose out there?? See how close you can get to it ( without getting yourself into a sticky situation ), have fun..............

According to the customer reviews it appears as if they re issued it with very little changes. However, I think I am going to order a copy, it looks too interesting to pass up.

Lazy Mountain

Default Stalking practice....

Rutting Moose-

If you are interested in getting some good stalking practice, pm me and I can get you to a place that has plenty of animals to practice on..I was on at least 3 different moose last saturday and got within 15 yards of one of them before they spotted me and took off like banshees....snorting and huffing all the way! Good thing they didn't come at me!

I will have to check out some of these books mentioned....I always enjoy a good read about the outdoors!

Last edited by AKanders; 12-04-2007 at 14:33. Reason: I saw your location....duh!

Default Fred Bear?

Despite the rather unfortunate coupling of Nugent with Fred Bear in the past decade, Bear was always my mentor as I began bowhunting whitetails on the ground (and still is). He was not only an amazing archer, but an amazing hunter as well. I can't recall the exact names of books but I do clearly remember a set of fireside interviews with Curt Gowdy (?) on tape that dad and I played on our way to our yearly bowcamp, in which he talks about stalking animals and how to move through the woods.

Other than that it comes down to knowing when to move fast and when to slow it to a crawl, move either silently or as another animal (shuffling like a squirrel, three steps and stop like a deer), never silhouette or profile yourself, play the wind, don't overcall when the animal is in sight, and don't poop yourself when that rare moment of a shot arrives but don't beat yourself up if you mess up, just enjoy being that close to a wary wild animal. Still hunting with a bow has got to be one of the most rewarding and challenging ways to take an animal I can imagine.

I'll try to find these materials and post later or pm you.